Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I believe that Ritz Camera and it's conglomerates carry some of the Pentax line; and could probably order just about anything.

If there is enough demands out there just present that demand to a retailer. Tactfully state that if they can't get it you'll basically be forced into taking your business elsewhere.
Ritz is completely out to lunch on the price, and they only carry it online (and probably don't sell much )
they only list the K5 no other model. their lens assortment is sad, the only prime listed is the DA15. One of the great things about having an online shop is you can afford to list everything just make some items a longer lead time and buy to orders
they have K5 body on their website at $1476.94

Of course Pentax is the only big name who didn't take a massive hit when Ritz restructured since they had a policy of not extending credit in place (which is one of the reasons they lost a lot of smaller dealers as well high minimum orders with limited to no credit terms)
Nikon and Canon had large unpaid inventories at ritz

03-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Ritz is completely out to lunch on the price, and they only carry it online (and probably don't sell much )
they only list the K5 no other model. their lens assortment is sad, the only prime listed is the DA15. One of the great things about having an online shop is you can afford to list everything just make some items a longer lead time and buy to orders
they have K5 body on their website at $1476.94

Of course Pentax is the only big name who didn't take a massive hit when Ritz restructured since they had a policy of not extending credit in place (which is one of the reasons they lost a lot of smaller dealers as well high minimum orders with limited to no credit terms)
Nikon and Canon had large unpaid inventories at ritz
Yep. Large to the tune of $26.6 million unsecured. (Canon = $8.7MM and Fuji $8.4MM) Circuit City was almost $15MM for Nikon. Pentax could never sustain such a loss, so they don't extend dealer credit.
03-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yep. Large to the tune of $26.6 million unsecured. (Canon = $8.7MM and Fuji $8.4MM) Circuit City was almost $15MM for Nikon. Pentax could never sustain such a loss, so they don't extend dealer credit.
I think that may change a bit under Ricoh. Certainly Hoya killing the credit (which was offered before that) was timely and saved them a loss. it also cost them a lot of market presence though so it's a double edged sword. I think I read they are far more dealer friendly in one of the CES reports so that will help. not having a minimum order level to high it writes off small specialty dealers would be the first step I would think. Add in good Ad co-op and there might be some traction gained
03-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax could never sustain such a loss, so they don't extend dealer credit.
My understanding is that Pentax has a [consignment-floorplaning] agreement (similar to how new car dealerships operate) with authorized Pentax retailers, this allows authorized dealers to stock and sell Pentax equipment while Pentax controls allowable discounts through the rebate programs.

03-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I read somewhere that, when the owner/founder of Ritz bought selected stores back from the bankruptcy court, Nikon provided much of the funding. Perhaps they felt that was the only way they were ever going to see any of that 26M bucks.

With Nikon as a large investor, I doubt that Ritz is ever going to be much of a Pentax retailer. Here in Ohio, I believe that there are only three Ritz stores and they are all in the Cincinnatti area. In the Cleveland area, we only have Dodd's, a regional chain. There are literally no other brick and mortar camera stores.