|Sample Photo Search|
|Recent Photo Mosaic|
|Free Photo Storage|
|Member Photo Albums|
|User Photo Gallery|
|Photo Sharing Forum|
|Official Photo Contests|
|World Pentax Day Gallery|
|World Pentax Day Photo Map|
|Articles and Tutorials|
|Check Shutter Count|
|Firmware Update Guide|
|Pentax Lens Databases|
|Pentax Lens Reviews|
|Pentax Lens Search|
|Third-Party Lens Reviews|
|Pentax Serial Number Database|
|SLR Lens Forum|
|Sample Photo Archive|
|Pentax Camera Reviews|
|Pentax DSLR Comparison|
|Pentax Serial Number Database|
|SLR Discussion Forums|
|Mirrorless Discussion Forums|
|Pentax K-S2 & K-S1|
|Pentax K-50 & K-30|
|Recent Photo Mosaic|
|Recently Liked Posts|
|Forum RSS Feed|
|Go to Page...|
|Search this Thread|
|02-07-2011, 03:00 PM||#1|
Pentax announces optio wg1 and wg1 gps
News update from the official Pentax website:
Flex Your Sense Of Adventure With The Newest Generation Of Waterproof, Shockproof, Coldproof, Dustproof Compacts
Product images are available here: http://www.pentaximaging.com/press/pressfiles.html
February 7, 2011(GOLDEN,CO)…PENTAX Imaging Company has announced its 12th generation of adventure series digital cameras – the PENTAX Optio WG-1 and PENTAX Optio WG-1 GPS. Featuring outstanding waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, coldproof, and crushproof capability, these extra-rugged models take adventure photography to new heights (and depths).
The new and improved features on the PENTAX Optio WG-1 include:
• 14 megapixel sensor.
• Waterproof to 33 feet.
• Shockproof, ruggedized design to withstand falls up to 5 feet.
• New crushproof construction* to withstand weight force up to 220 pounds (100kgf kilogram-force).
• Enhanced Digital Microscope mode that offers five macro LEDs for excellent macro lighting plus a detachable macro stand for steadier capture.
• Fast Face Detection technology, Smile Capture, and Blink Detection for portraits including a handy new Self-Portrait Assist mode perfect for facebooking and other social networking activities.
• Available with and without GPS, the WG-1 GPS functionality* tracks and records positional data recording with images for geo-tagging applications making it easy for users to check the shooting locations of captured images and link the data with PC-based maps.
*Measured under PENTAX-original testing standards.** GPS included only on the select WG-1 GPS model.
Other important WG-1 features include:
• Coldproof to sub-freezing temps of minus 10 degrees C (14 degrees F).
• Dustproof protection for dry, dusty environments.
• Wide angle 5X internal optical zoom lens (28-140mm equivalent).
• Large 2.7 inch LCD features a wide angle 16:9 aspect ratio with anti-reflective coating.
• Video capture in widescreen 720p HD at 30 frames per second.
• Pixel Track and Digital Shake Reduction ensure sharp, blur-free images.
• An autofocus assist lamp helps to quickly and accurately focus, even in challenging lighting.
• An HDMI port to play back beautiful, high definition images and video on HDTVs.
• Infrared remote control compatibility with the waterproof Remote Control WP, as well as other PENTAX infrared remotes.
• Designed with the look of mountaineering equipment, the new Optios includes a woven web fabric strap in complementary color accents complete with a carabiner to attach the camera to a backpack and other outdoor gear.
• Eye-Fi wireless SD memory card connectivity for built-in Wi-Fi capability to transfer photos and videos from the camera to a computer or an online sharing site (Eye-fi cards sold separately.)
Priced at $349.95 USD, Optio WG-1 will be available in a choice of Black or Purple, while the Optio WG-1 GPS will be priced at $399.95 USD and available in Black or Yellow Green. Both cameras will ship in April 2011.
A waterproof infared remote control (sold separately) for use with the PENTAX Optio WG-1 and other infrared compatible Optio models is available now for $29.95 USD. More information is available here: www.pentaximaging.com and product images are available here: http://www.pentaximaging.com/press/pressfiles.html
The PENTAX Optio WG-1 is available for preorder on: www.pentaxwebstore.com
PENTAX Imaging Company is an innovative leader in the production of a variety of digital cameras including weather- resistant digital SLRs and stylish, compact, waterproof cameras, as well as lenses, flash units, binoculars, scopes, and eyepieces. For more than 90 years, PENTAX has developed durable, reliable products that meet the needs of consumers and businesses. With headquarters in Golden, Colorado, PENTAX Imaging Company is a division of PENTAX of America, Inc.
# # #
PENTAX OPTIO WG-1 AND OPTIO WG-1 GPS FACT SHEET
Rugged heavy-duty construction with five-way protection
PENTAX upgraded the Optio WG-1 and Optio WG-1 GPS’s performance in five ways:
1) Underwater performance is increased by 40 percent to 33 feet for up to two hours of continuous operation (equivalent to IPX8 or JIS Class 8 waterproof performance).
2) Shock-resistant body design and redesigned internal mechanisms offer exceptional shock-resistant capacity* that allows the cameras to withstand falls up to 5 feet (1.5 meters* as compared with 1.2 meters for the predecessor) without damaging the body and mechanisms.
3) Outstanding dust-proof performance (equivalent to IP6X or JIS Class 6).
4) Exceptional cold-resistant performance for reliable operation at temperatures as low as –10 degrees C (14 degrees F)
5) New crushproof construction** withstands weights up to 220 pounds (100kgf - kilogram-force).
All of these features combine to make the Optio WG-1 and Optio WG-1 GPS ideal choices for active photographers looking for a camera built for rugged adventure in every way. Adventure photography doesn’t get any better than this.
* Measured under PENTAX-original testing standards (from a height of 1.5 meters, onto a surface of 5cm-thick plywood), conforming to the Method 516.5-Shock of the MIL-Standard 810F.
** Measured under PENTAX-original testing standards.
An advanced GPS function (available only on the Optio WG-1 GPS)
The Optio WG-1 GPS model variation is equipped with a GPS function, which allows users to record position data when shooting still images. Now, photographers may access various GPS-compatible applications and services offered by the included software* including Google Maps™. The GPS system also updates the built-in clock automatically to match local time of a particular shooting location and automatically creates and stores log data as a KML-format file onto an SD memory card. This log feature allows users to keep accurate track of the movement during outdoor shooting and display it later on the computer using various online services such as Google Earth™.
* This function is available with the Windows version only.
Improved Digital Microscope mode for close observation of the microscopic world
The Optio WG-1 and Optio WG-1 GPS both feature an upgraded Digital Microscope mode. Each model captures fine-detailed images of the tiniest subjects.* PENTAX increased the number of LED Macro Lights from three to five all positioned around the circumference of the lens barrel to improve light distribution performance for brighter, more uniform lighting on small subjects. The camera also automatically raises the illumination level of each LED Macro Light at the moment of shutter release. A standard accessory Macro Stand helps make extended observation effortless even at a minimum distance of less than one inch (one centimeter) from the subject.
* When using the Digital Microscope mode, the image size is fixed at 2 megapixels (at 16:9 proportions).
Beautiful, high-quality images delivered by newly incorporated super-resolution technology
In addition to approximately 14 effective megapixels, these models incorporate a new, sophisticated imaging process made possible by the latest “super-resolution” image processing technology. This process is designed to optimize the resolution of a recorded image section by section to produce a high-resolution image that is sharper and and more true-to-life than ever before. This advanced technology captures beautiful, high-resolution prints and poster sized enlargements with fine detail.
High-quality, HD movie recording
The new WG-1s capture movie clips at 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels) at a frame rate of 30 frames per second. Each also offers a variety of movie editing functions that allows:
• Still images to be extracted from movie clips
• Title images to be added to the beginning and/or end of a movie clip.
• An HDMI micro terminal for audio/video signal output.
Extra-wide 2.7 inch LCD monitor
Each camera features a large 2.7 inch high-brightness color LCD monitor with approximately 230,000 dots and horizontally extended 16:9 proportions. The monitor is treated with a special AR (Anti-Reflection) coating to cut the glare of external light and minimize annoying reflections, making it easy to observe the subject, monitor recorded images and view on-screen menus even in bright sunlight.
Optical 5X zoom lens with 28mm wide-angle coverage
Each camera is equipped with a high-performance, optical 5X zoom lens, covering focal lengths from 5mm to 25mm (equivalent in the 35mm format to approximately 28mm wide angle to 140mm telephoto). This wide zoom range allows the cameras to be used for a wide variety of subjects and scenes, from spectacular landscape and group shots to tightly framed snapshots taken from a distance.
New-generation Face Detection function with Self-Portrait Assist mode
The cameras feature upgraded Face Detection AF & AE functions that instantly and accurately detects up to 32 faces in the image field then captures each one in sharp focus and optimum exposure in just 0.03 seconds (even when the subjects are standing sideways or faces are tilted). This latest version also offers a variety of user-friendly features to simplify the process of portrait and snapshot photography and to improve the quality of the images.
These include a:
• Smile Capture mode to automatically release the shutter the instant the subject’s smile is detected.
• Blink Detection function to warn the photographer if the subject’s eyes close at the moment of shutter release.
• Self-Portrait Assist mode perfect for facebooking and other social networking activities that confirms whether the photographer’s own face is captured safely within the picture frame using the blink of the close-distance warning LED lamp on the camera’s front panel.
A new-generation Pet mode automatically detects the faces of dogs and cats
Each camera feature the latest version of the unique Pet mode, which assists in capturing the faces of dogs and cats faster and easier than ever before. In addition to the automatic detection of pets’ faces, this mode allows users to pre-register the faces of up to three favorite pets so these may be detected over other pet faces.
Triple anti-shake protection to prevent different types of camera shake
1) Pixel Track SR
When recording still images, the Pixel Track SR (Shake Reduction) effectively compensates for camera shake by processing affected images.
2) High-Sensitivity SR mode*
When the cameras detect low-lighting conditions in still-image shooting, they automatically raise the sensitivity to as high as ISO 6400, making it possible to use a higher shutter speed. This effectively minimizes the adverse effects of camera shake and subject shake under poor lighting conditions.
.* When the High-Sensitivity anti-shake mode is selected, the recorded size is fixed to five megapixels (2592 x 1944 pixels).
3) Movie SR mode*
During movie recording, the cameras prevent blurry images by effectively minimizing annoying camera shake through the use of exclusive software
* When the Movie SR mode is selected, the angle of view becomes narrower than normal shooting.
• Carabiner strap included for hooking the camera to a backpack or other outdoor gear.
• Auto Picture mode to automatically select one of the 16 shooting modes to match the shooting conditions.
• Collage function to compose a single picture from multiple images.
• Ink Rubbing filter to create a monochromatic, high-contrast image from a recorded image.
• 12 digital filters, including a new Miniature filter, to add distinctive visual effects to recorded images.
• Digital Wide function to compose an extra-wide-angle image (equivalent to an image taken with an approx. 21mm lens in 35mm format) from two images.
• MediaImpression 3.0 for PENTAX (Windows version) and MediaImpression 2.1 for PENTAX (Macintosh version) image viewing, editing and filing software included (compatible with latest operation systems, such as Windows 7and Mac OS X 10.6).
• Compatibility with Eye-Fi wireless LAN SD memory cards.
• External storage media is compatible with new SDXC memory card in addition to SD/SDHC memory card.*
* Not compatible with UHS speed class.
PENTAX and Optio are trademarks of HOYA CORPORATION.
Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.
This product supports PRINT Image Matching III. PRINT Image Matching enabled digital still cameras, printers and software help photographers to produce images more faithful to their intentions. Some functions are not available on printers that are not PRINT Image Matching III compliant.
Copyright 2001 Seiko Epson Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Print Image Matching is a trademark of Seiko Epson Corporation.
The PRINT Image Matching logo is a trademark of Seiko Epson Corporation.
Mac OS is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
HDMI, the HDMI logo and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC.
Google, Google Earth, Google map, and logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Google Inc.
All other brands or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
Design and Specifications are subject to change without notice.
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)
PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
|Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!|
|camera, cameras, gps, image, images, mode, movie, optio, pentax, wg-1|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Pentax announces the infinitely customizable optio rs1000 and optio rz10 with 10x zoo||Adam||Homepage & Official Pentax News||0||09-08-2010 09:10 PM|
|Pentax to announce Optio H90 & Optio I-10 cameras||dopeytree||Pentax News and Rumors||92||01-27-2010 09:02 AM|
|PENTAX UNVEILS THREE NEW DIGITAL CAMERAS: Optio I-10, Optio H90, Optio E90||Adam||Homepage & Official Pentax News||11||01-26-2010 07:21 PM|
|Pentax announces waterproof Optio W80||Adam||Homepage & Official Pentax News||1||07-28-2009 08:18 AM|
|Pentax announces new Optio models||Ole||Homepage & Official Pentax News||0||01-05-2009 07:38 PM|