Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Pentax Online Store

November 16, 2007

This week, Pentax launched its new online store, replacing the old shopping cart previous found on www.pentaximaging.com. The store, accessible at http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/, is part of Pentax's marketing campaign which previously launched sites such as the Pentax Photo Gallery, Pentaxian, PentaxSLR, and H2OCamera.

The new Pentax Web Store is operated by SureSource, LLC, but directly controlled by Pentax.

"Based in Shelton, Connecticut and founded in 1989, SureSource provides a complete outsourcing solution for licensed and branded product manufacturers seeking to conduct direct to consumer e-commerce. SureSource's services include end-to-end solutions for website design and hosting, order and payment processing, warehousing, inventory management, picking, packing, shipping, order tracking and returns processing, as well as in-bound telemarketing and customer support."

The store features a very simple navigation system as well as a large selection of accessories such as lens caps and cases. It is complete with images for all items, though at this time, many are still out of stock. In order to protect retailers, the Pentax Web Store's prices on DSLR bodies and lenses are consideradly higher that those of the retail stores. For example, the SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm kit lens costs $215.95 in the online store, while it retails for $99 and has fallen to as little as $50 in second-hand sales.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2007, 11:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
This would have been part of my official news post, but I think it will be easier to discus if posted separately.

------------------------------

Interestingly, the new Pentax store has both the SMC Pentax-A 1.4x-L and 2.0x-L teleconverters listed as "in-stock," though at extremely high prices ($595 and $805). These teleconverters have been out of production for at least two years, and they only fit select lenses starting at 300mm. They can be found used for $200-300, though it is still curious why Pentax is offering them for sale.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
First of all, I find this very, very strange, but it might have some positive implications for the future. Why would Pentax be offering accessories which fit none of the current lenses they have for sale? I say it's because they're finally going to get back in the game and support their older lineups, as well as perhaps release some new lenses, including possilbly remakes of the 300 and 600mm FA*'s. Either that, or they're trying to clear their shelves

Adam

11-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The list the adapter B for screw to k mount, too bad they are out of stock.
The price of the rear caps for lenses are a bit outrageous at $12.00 a piece! I guess I am going to have to keep searching. I need a couple extras and a couple lens caps but I won't be ordering from this new Pentax store! But thanks for bringing it to our attention Mo. It does seem like a good sign. Especially if they can actually get stuff in stock.

11-19-2007, 02:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

They have a Pentax DSLR Sling Bag.

Not a bad price for $60US.
11-19-2007, 03:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Normal practice to protect their retailers but where in the H are their retailers?
11-19-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Hey guys,
I checked the new webstore. And I have serious question to ask:
Does anybody know if they are shipping overseas?!? I would be over the moon. Even with shipping some of the lenses are coming up to something like 50-75% of UK retail price.
So, please, does andybody know wheter they do ship overseas? Or do I have to contact them directly..
many thanx

11-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
Forum Member

Is it just me or the prices insanely high comparatively speaking?
11-20-2007, 12:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Hey guys,
Does anybody know if they are shipping overseas?!?
No, they don't ship overseas.
As always Pentax forgets that nowadays it is global comunity, as original poster forgets the same and fails to mention that this is exclusive to Chosen Ones.
11-20-2007, 12:35 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
No, they don't ship overseas.
As always Pentax forgets that nowadays it is global comunity...

11-20-2007, 09:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just ordered a 77mm pinch cap and a Pentax pen for $20 shipped. $12 for the pinch cap is an OK price since KEH charges about $7 or $8 for an older style cap.

But $40 for the 49mm cap?! That doesn't even make sense! The 77mm cap contains more plastic and even has the fancier pinch design.

Their shipping is based on how much your order costs instead of how much your order weighs. That can add up quickly if you decide that you want a couple 49mm lens caps straight from Pentax.

Mo, which accessories don't fit any current products?
11-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote
I just ordered a 77mm pinch cap and a Pentax pen for $20 shipped. $12 for the pinch cap is an OK price since KEH charges about $7 or $8 for an older style cap.

But $40 for the 49mm cap?! That doesn't even make sense! The 77mm cap contains more plastic and even has the fancier pinch design.

Their shipping is based on how much your order costs instead of how much your order weighs. That can add up quickly if you decide that you want a couple 49mm lens caps straight from Pentax.

Mo, which accessories don't fit any current products?
The tele converters only fit certain telephoto lenses and zooms.
11-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mudman Quote
The tele converters only fit certain telephoto lenses and zooms.
Ah. I didn't notice the teleconverters. I would love to get a 1.4x-L or 2x-L, but for $500 and $800, it's far too expensive. Maybe that means retailers will actually have these in stock and they won't be so incredibly rare.
11-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Nice roomy store! Shoould be, many of the shelves are empty!
11-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #15

Should receive the Pentax sling bag from the store tomorrow. Will report back on it when I get a chance if anyone is interested.

Greg