Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax announces new company name

News update from the official Pentax website:

PENTAX Imaging Company, A Division of PENTAX of America Inc., has begun its business organization transition process. The new company name will be PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION. All operations, as well as partnership relations, will remain unchanged.

PENTAX RICOH IMAGING inherits the development functions of cameras and lenses, production facilities, legal properties, as well as worldwide distribution channels from its former business structure.

We at PENTAX RICOH IMAGING will further strive to promote the digital camera business under the long thriving PENTAX brand, and establish it to be a leading company, with its unique path, ranking with other competitive top tier brands.

We sincerely appreciate your continued patronage as a customer, and support as a partner or dealer, in our exciting new endeavors.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Glad they are keeping the Pentax name..
09-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Should be interesting days ahead. I'm ok with the name....presuming that new model of cameras will be labeled as just "Pentax" (?)
09-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
It will say Pentax Ricoh corporation on the bottom instead of Hoya corporation...I guess that's nice

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It will say Pentax Ricoh corporation on the bottom instead of Hoya corporation...I guess that's nice
Sounds better, Hoya is a silly name
10-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
Forum Member

Well, I hope they'll introduce some new lenses with new SDM, like a 70-200 f/2.8. Good thing that they're keeping the Pentax name.
10-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
....presuming that new model of cameras will be labeled as just "Pentax" (?)
I guess you read OP where the Adam quoted announcement of Pentax Ricoh. And there is written: "We at PENTAX RICOH IMAGING will further strive to promote the digital camera business under the long thriving PENTAX brand"
10-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Good that it is going on. Nice small company. I didn't read that the Ricoh imaging part is going to merge with this new company (yet).

10-01-2011, 04:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Under new management

Very promising announcement saying they want to expand their DSLR system. As a result we might see some FF DSLR from them. Hoya has been really stubborn with their policy not moving into that direction, so I am glad Ricoh has taken Pentax from their hands.
10-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. B Quote
Hoya is a silly name
I'll have you know it's a very old and respected name. It means "the cattle are dying".
10-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I believe the new Name Pentax Ricoh Imaging says a lot in terms of the company's intentions. I am looking forward to further announcements from the new company.
10-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #12

This is good news, hopefully we will get some more progress in the Pentax line!
10-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. B Quote
Sounds better, Hoya is a silly name
For a camera name it surely is
10-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Given that Ricoh actually wanted the Pentax camera division because they want to expand in photography, I think nothing but good can come out of this. Ricoh has already demonstrated that it can compete against the big boys (Ricoh does very well against Canon in photocopiers) and Ricoh products, cameras included, are quality pieces. I'm looking forward to the fruits of this new marriage. But let's remember to give them a bit of time to get rolling and to keep open minds.
10-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Given that Ricoh actually wanted the Pentax camera division because they want to expand in photography
And what other reasons could you think of? Were they forced to buy Pentax, or maybe they did it for other reasons than to expand in photography?