Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Until Pentax-badged cams hit the shelves of big.box stores, this is a non-story. Anybody can (try to) sell just about anything online. That's just not news.

For physical presence: IMHO W@llys is a less-than-ideal platform for camera sales. Every Wmart I've seen has the camera-electronics section off in a far corner of the store. Not like CostCo, where that section is unavoidably right up front, along the main traffic path. Products there just have much more visibility. Pentax cams would be buried at W@llys.

11-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Until Pentax-badged cams hit the shelves of big.box stores, this is a non-story. Anybody can (try to) sell just about anything online. That's just not news.

For physical presence: IMHO W@llys is a less-than-ideal platform for camera sales. Every Wmart I've seen has the camera-electronics section off in a far corner of the store. Not like CostCo, where that section is unavoidably right up front, along the main traffic path. Products there just have much more visibility. Pentax cams would be buried at W@llys.
There's a reason Wally's buries it (as do almost all department stores that have or had electronics/furniture/appliances. It's a destination type purchase you go with the intention to buy a camera or whatever. having to go by aqll the bulk displays and deals to get there is supposed to tempt you into spending more money
11-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I'm still drooling over my yellow kr, it's the coolest camera you've ever seen!!

stacey
11-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Adam, just a minor niggle - whenever you give Pentax official broadcasts that end in ellipsis, can you link the Pentax page you got it from in your post ? Save me the trouble of typing in Digital Cameras by PENTAX - Waterproof Digital Camera - Digital SLR!
The posts in this forum are automatic, unfortunately Pentax has screwed up their RSS feed since the launch of the new website it seems

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do remember when Pentax had a rebate on the ist*DS it applied everywhere except Walmart. So maybe Pentax is onto them. At least I hope so.

NaCl(BTW I refuse to shop at malfart either online or at a B&M, tho they don't have any stores in NYC anyway)H2O
11-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
NaCl(BTW I refuse to shop at malfart either online or at a B&M, tho they don't have any stores in NYC anyway)H2O
Nice Signature lol I'm with you (though they do have stores in the suburbs of Toronto , but i don't go to the suburbs either)
11-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was just in a situation where one of these colorful K-r would have been perfect. A hockey game where they restrict cameras that have lenses >= 3 inches and the general term of "no professional cameras." If I had one, I could have easily put up a good case that the brightly colored camera I was holding wasn't professional. I ended up using an old digicam circa 2006, but I can see some benefits to a colorful SLR. The green, gold, and blue seem like a good mix of crazy yet subtle. The yellow is pretty nice too.

11-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Looking at Walmart, I think they made a mistake on the K5 body alone - they are showing the k5 "Body Only" for $1499, but they also show the K5 w/ WR 18-55 Lens for $1449. Put the couple of pricing errors to the side and the other prices are competitive, the DA 55~300 for $359 and the "Q" for $799, pricing seems to be on par.

EDIT: Also, the standard Kr's (standard meaning the non exclusive colors) look to be $799 with the kit lens, but the Walmart exclusive colors seem to be $699 with kit lens.
12-10-2011, 03:06 AM   #24

On-line now

It looks like they are available on line now. I like the silver and black. Matches the FA lenses. drool.
excuse me, I lost myself there for a second. I'm happy with my black one. The colors probably just scare the birds away. That's right. I don't want one. I don't. What would I do with two cameras.

Walmart.com: Pentax K-r 12.4MP DSLR Camera Bundle w/ 18-55mm Lens, 3" LCD, HD Video (Assorted Colors) w/ 50 Bonus Prints: Digital Cameras

Last edited by Drom; 12-10-2011 at 03:14 AM.
12-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
They are only available online, lol.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2011, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Drom Quote
It looks like they are available on line now. I like the silver and black. Matches the FA lenses. drool.
excuse me, I lost myself there for a second. I'm happy with my black one. The colors probably just scare the birds away. That's right. I don't want one. I don't. What would I do with two cameras.

Walmart.com: Pentax K-r 12.4MP DSLR Camera Bundle w/ 18-55mm Lens, 3" LCD, HD Video (Assorted Colors) w/ 50 Bonus Prints: Digital Cameras
just 2!! how can you live with just 2
I have 4 digital and 9 film cameras and still lust after (many) others
12-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
just 2!! how can you live with just 2
I have 4 digital and 9 film cameras and still lust after (many) others
Eddie, that is not helping me. Friends don't let friends buy multiple copies of the same camera body in different colors.
12-12-2011, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Eddie, that is not helping me. Friends don't let friends buy multiple copies of the same camera body in different colors.
As an avid dual wielder at conventions and events, only having one camera body is really hard to get use to.

Two or more camera benefits:
- Dual wield with prime lenses (really key in bad conditions where you don't want to switch out lenses often)
- making videos of camera equipment (articles for my site would be tragically boring without two cameras that can take video)
- Having one or more backups. I ran into that problem when my K-5 went away for 3 months and was left with the K-7 only. I ended up getting a cheap used *ist D. With only one camera it would mean a complete "photo-block."

I'm incapable of buying one at the moment, but those colorful K-r are pretty neat. As I think I already mentioned, having a color DSLR could be a pretty good covert-ops camera for places or events that don't allow "professional" cameras. I can imagine them trying to prove this bright yellow camera I'm holding is professional.
12-12-2011, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Friends don't let friends buy multiple copies of the same camera body in different colors.
What's wrong with color-coded cameras? The pink one for portraits, the lemon one for landscapes, the black one for birds, the white one for weddings, the silver one for streets, etc. I'll tell my bearer Ansel to set-up such a system just as soon as I get more cameras.
01-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #30
Inactive Account

No more toys, but the condition of the continuation of the Pentax K-5.
RICOH is a time to reveal their cards.