Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Announces New DLSR Lenses

Today, Pentax announced two new lenses and confirmed the release date of three others which were announced in mid-2007.

The SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited will ship in April, 2008, priced at $500. Pentax writes that this lens, like the current Limited lenses, will feature a metal barrel as well as 1:1 magnification. Also, the SMC Pentax-DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM and 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM lenses will both be available in March, 2008, and prices at $1100 and $1300, respectively.

Thirdly, Pentax confirmed the production of the SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED consumer zoom and projects its release date to be May, 2008, priced at $400.

Finally, a new and improved version of the 18-55mm kit lens, badged as "SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II" will be available in March 2008; it will ship with the new K200D and K20D SLRs. All 5 of the above lenses will feature Pentax's new quick-shift focusing system, allowing for easy MF, as well as the Pentax SP coating which protects the front element from dust and scratches.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-24-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
GSk
Inactive Account

Are there any news about the 60-250mm f/4 lens announced almost a year ago? I was certain that news about that lens would be revealed. If I have to wait forever I'd rather buy Tamron's new 70-200mm f/2.8
01-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's been pushed back a little. Apparently they have something new in store for it.
01-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited will ship in April, 2008, priced at $500. Pentax writes that this lens, like the current Limited lenses, will feature a metal barrel as well as 1:1 magnification.
It figures. The one I'm most interested in will be the last one out

03-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

To bring back an on-topic thread instead of starting a new one. ... to anyone in the peanut gallery in the know:

Has it been established for sure what the "something special" is or will be that Pentax has in store for the 60-250mm f/4 yet? Is it use of a fast[er] hypersonic ring motor? something else?

I'm really curious. I find I have a definite hole in my lens coverage range for what I'm learning to be my "shooting style" and requirements. This lens will cover that. With the advent of the K20D's high ISO performance comes change in philosophy for me, that I'm seriously considering a "f/4" for the telephoto zoom range I need, and this being my 1st DA* lens. With this lens hopefully having superior performance (please keep purple fringing and CAs down Pentax) and -- over the Sigma and Tamron still both in contention -- weather sealing (... well, if the 55mm f/1.4 is super duper fast focusing, that'll be a possibility for me too.)

We'll surely only know about the control of CAs and fringing, and control of QA, once it's shipping and been tested. But what the "something special" is no doubt circulating[ed]. Please share if you know.
03-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
It's been pushed back a little. Apparently they have something new in store for it.
I wish they'd vocal these points and share what's happening I mean they must know its been delayed etc, people don't like being kept in the dark

Although it does give me time to save up! lol
05-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #7

Pentax announces new DSLR lenses.

Just wonder whether with Pentax alliance with Tokina whether there is anything in the wind about a 400mm lens for Pentax SLRs?
This is the minimum for wildlife photographers.
05-29-2008, 04:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Mc Quote
Just wonder whether with Pentax alliance with Tokina whether there is anything in the wind about a 400mm lens for Pentax SLRs?
Summer should see an update to the roadmap, and closer to PhotoKina.

Else there is the Sigma 500/4.5 in Pentax mount

05-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #9
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Mc Quote
It all depends on how close your subjects are to be found. I do personally think 300mm is the minimum. In many [most] instances however you can't get long enough or fast enough, but there will be plenty who will argue that. Yes, I'm a Sigma long glass luv'r myself. My ideal would be their 120-300mm f/2.8 so I could use it with the 2x TC and still have good "range" to zoom in and out depending on the distance and size of the subject, but they only make the prime in Pentax mount. Being @ 600mm out on safari was a must sometimes, and a handicap other times.
12-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
It all depends on how close your subjects are to be found. I do personally think 300mm is the minimum. In many [most] instances however you can't get long enough or fast enough, but there will be plenty who will argue that. Yes, I'm a Sigma long glass luv'r myself. My ideal would be their 120-300mm f/2.8 so I could use it with the 2x TC and still have good "range" to zoom in and out depending on the distance and size of the subject, but they only make the prime in Pentax mount. Being @ 600mm out on safari was a must sometimes, and a handicap other times.
MMM sounds like you need the Bigma 50-500... amazingly sharp and very versatile...