Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Announces K200D and K20D DSLRs

Today, Pentax has finally released official details on the upcoming new DSLR models, the K200D and the K20D. At 14.6 megapixels, the K20D will replace the current K10D as Pentax's flagship model, and the K200D, featuring 10.2 megapixels, will replace the K100D series.

PENTAX K20D Highlights
The K20D builds on the advanced technology of the K10D.
-A newly developed CMOS sensor featuing 14.6 megapixels along with improved noise-reduction
-Custom Image functions and an Expanded Dynamic Range function
-A "Live View" system which provides an accurate image preview
-An improved dust removal system with features technology that also pinpoints the location of dust on the sensor if manual removal is needed
-A shake reduction system
-A PC sync socket
-A bright pentaprism viewfinder
-Optional battery grip

PENTAX K200D Highlights
This camera will feature an easy-to-use interface similar to that of the K100D combined with the advanced features of the K10D. The rear LCD size will be increased to 2.7".
-Advanced modes such as Tv, Av, and Sv will be supplemented by Auto Picture and various 'scene' modes
-Weather- and dust-sealing
-Custom Image functions and an Expanded Dynamic Range function
-An improved dust removal system with features technology that also pinpoints the location of dust on the sensor if manual removal is needed
-A shake reduction system
-A bring penta-mirror viewfinder
-Optional battery grip

Ned Bunnell, President of Pentax USA, stated, “Our unique approach to building PENTAX DLSR equipment allows each customer to be confident in their camera choice whether they are just learning about photography or they are a more advanced photo enthusiast. The K20D builds on the technology of the award winning K10D and is ideal for the advanced photographer seeking maximum resolution from their camera as well as complete control over how the camera captures images. The K200D offers an easy-to-use interface while incorporating advanced imaging technology from the award winning K10D. This K200D will grow with an amateur photographer's skill as they learn more about their hobby by offering more features than what is found in entry level models.”

More official specifictions on the two cameras can be found in the official Pentax press release: Pentax Imaging - Pentax Press Release

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-28-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Dee

Anybody have an idea what these babies are gonna cost?
01-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Dee Quote
Anybody have an idea what these babies are gonna cost?
I believe the MSRP for the K20D is $1299.00 and the K200D $799.00 US.
01-29-2008, 03:51 AM   #4

was it worth the wait?

Like many others, I have been waiting impatiently for a decent dslr offering. I was pinning my hopes on a full format sensor so I could use all my old well made wide angle glass. My 20 f/2.8 A is pretty ordinary on a small format sensor. My 17mm f/4 full frame takumar fisheye is also mediocre in coverage on these small sensors. My circular fisheyes will vignette. A decent full frame sensor should also wind up having double the megpixels, ie 29 megapixels, effectively making film obsolete. A statstic that most people are not aware of is that 35mm film can yield with high quality lens/ film combination the equivalent of 80 megapixels! Given that good film stock (K 25 professional, tech pan) is no longer available, and photoshop can sharpen things up, I would be happy with 20 megapixels. Come on Pentax, all us with our nice old K mount and M42 lenses are waiting for the camera that can use them properly. If you do not hurry up , many will defect to Canon ,who do have full format which can use (on manual mode with adaptors) the old wide angle glass ! Having said all that, 14.9 Mpixels is getting pretty close to my magic 20Mpixel mark and the small lenses will have a greater depth of field. Pain in the *@%# that I might have to buy all new lenses because Pentax cannot get ahead of the pack and give an offerring that blows the rest out of the water, like my beloved LX did.

01-30-2008, 01:55 AM   #5

How much for the body of K200D plus Bat grip?
02-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pixels at any cost?

The sealed controls are nice though, but why the pixel madness?
Pentax feels the public prefers high pixel count to speed and low light performance?
I agree with fisheye freak post, it's only worth it if the sensor gets bigger, then we can have both worlds, speed and pixels.

Larry
02-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
Forum Member

Almost feel remorse on the K20d

Although I just bought the K10D back in December, I feel better now that my 100.00 rebate check arrived in the mail last week. I am still getting to know the K20D and so far I love it.

- Dave
02-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Will I upgrade?

er.......... no not yet. I have the K10D & I'm very happy with it. I like some of the new stuff on the K20d but who knows what's in store for the future. Remember what happened with computers we were all up-grading every 18 months. I don't want to make the same mistake twice

Bobartex

02-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe.....

If the K20D has greatly improved high ISO, even better SR, and a better dynamic range, it would be worth the upgrade to me. Otherwise, the other features are just window dressing. Live view is of little or no interest to me, probably is worthless in bright sunlight, and mostly appeals to those used to it on their P&S cameras. All that in-camera processing may sound great, but will never replace processing on a big screen LCD done with a computer. Nope, it must have great IQ or it won't work for me. Of course, I am assuming that it will.
02-19-2008, 07:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The most interesting things to me are the Samsung CMOS sensor (apparently with good low light potential for such a densely packed sensor - could be really nice) and the PC Sync socket. Several of the other new features sound nice as well, but are not as big a deal to me. I just hope that the color has the same quality and feel as with my K10D. I really like the way colors render better with it than with my slightly older Canon Rebel XT (which is still a fairly nice camera). If they can keep that color quality and improve low light performance at a high resolution (I would settle for the this combination while staying at 10 MP), then this could be a really killer model.

I won't be buying one when they first come out at any rate. My K10D still works quite nicely (I love that camera), and if I can wait for the better part of a year or more, then the price will drop to something that is more reasonable for my budget. I just hope that it is something really worth waiting for.
03-13-2008, 04:49 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
I am not good enough

Instead of buying a new toy, I suggest that we improve our photographic skills with the camera we already have. By looking at our photographs, I see a lot of room for improvement. How about taking pictures at dawn and dusk, if we do landscapes? Or may be using a tripod, so that our pictures won’t look like snapshots form a 50 dollar camera? It is the person behind the camera that makes a difference. I feel that K10 is much bigger than I am, so I do not see myself with K20. Not soon, if ever.