Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX Introduces New K-5 II & K-5 IIs DSLR Cameras Versatile cameras feature newly d

News update from the official Pentax website:

Denver, CO – PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION today announced the introduction of its PENTAX K-5 II and K-5 IIs flagship digital SLR cameras, designed to advance the company’s well-received K-5 camera, which launched in October 2010. These new dustproof, weather-resistant and cold-resistant cameras include a newly developed SAFOX X AF sensor that delivers the broadest autofocusing E...

Pentax news announcement: http://www.pentaximaging.com/about/press/286

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
K-5 IIs looks promissing
09-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaximees Quote
K-5 IIs looks promissing
depend on the price

but i don't get why they did keep the old Prime II processor ...
09-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What is an anti alias filter and what does it do?

Are there any other major differences between the K5II and K5IIs that I have over looked?

09-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm concerned that Pentax hasn't seemed to have progressed much with the K-5 II. Sure, things have improved (especially the AF)--but it does look as if the rest of the specs are taken directly from the original K-5, as if most of the hardware was taken directly from the original K-5. This is very worrying--perhaps the specs will change a bit before it hits stores?

--DragonLord
09-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Too many new models . . . and from the email I just received from Pentax they all seem the same . . . just about every "selling point" is the same . . . dust-sealed, weather-proof, 16.3, advanced this and that . . . are we in a new car showroom? Can I get one in Cardinal and Gold?
09-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rprii Quote
Too many new models . . . and from the email I just received from Pentax they all seem the same . . . just about every "selling point" is the same . . . dust-sealed, weather-proof, 16.3, advanced this and that . . . are we in a new car showroom? Can I get one in Cardinal and Gold?
Maybe not in Cardinal or Gold, but expect a Silver down the road

09-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

After all these hype, we end up with two "refurbished" k-5. .
09-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After 42 years I have rather suddenly reached the point of exhaustion and disappointment.
09-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
After 42 years I have rather suddenly reached the point of exhaustion and disappointment.
Photokina still has to start. Who knows what surprise(s) Pentax Ricoh Imaging still has in store?
09-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Bleh. Tech upgrades are:

Improved AF - doesn't matter so much to me, I shoot mostly with old manual lenses. I know it means more to autofocus lens users.
Improved rear LCD - wow.
Version with no AA filter, with a price tag bump. OK.

I hope something else comes to light at Photokina. No video spec update? Using the same processing engine?

Just adding lets say un-crippled K mount to the II s would have made that a more attractive "pro" spec'ed APS-C camera.

Completely underwhelmed.
09-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I am glad I got a K-30. I was concerned I would be disappointed and full of regret when the new models were announced. I realize the K-5 II is probably a little better than the K-30, but not enough for the higher price, as far as I'm concerned.

I do hope there is another announcement of a K-3 or something coming soon. But if that ever appears, it's likely to be way out of my price range anyway.
09-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Photokina still has to start. Who knows what surprise(s) Pentax Ricoh Imaging still has in store?
I just can't hang my hat on all that booth space.
09-11-2012, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #14

I still can't see the difference between the K5II and K5IIs beside the AA Filterless Sensor... Or it's just that? And also, is that actually good? :P
I mean, it was there for a reason and it says that helps in lighting-controlled situations, how does it affects outdoor shooting?
09-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I just feel that, if one has invested in a studio lighting setup and is considering a camera based on it's image quality alone, that one would not be prone to look into an APS-C sensor camera....