Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX Announces Two New K-Mount Lenses smc PENTAX DA 18-270mm F3.5-5.6 ED SDM zoom l

News update from the official Pentax website:

DENVER, CO — PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION , today announces two new lenses designed specifically for use with all K-mount camera bodies.

The new smc PENTAX DA 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 ED SDM high magnification interchangeable zoom lens offers a 15X zoom ratio to cover focal lengths from wide angle to super telephoto, while its built-in supersonic AF driving mechanism achieves both smooth, ...

Pentax news announcement: http://www.pentaximaging.com/about/press/287

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I was not expecting to see another lens to be released by Pentax with SDM in it. I wonder if it is just branding, and the motor is actually the Tamron Pz motor or whatever it is they call it?
09-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I can't believe the price on the DA 560mm F5.6 ED: $6,999.95. The competition is the Sigma 500mm 4.5, a superb piece of glass that retails for $5K. OK the Sigma is not weather resistant and uses screw drive rather than an in-lens motor, but it is faster, designed to be carried around and easily shot hand-held or off a monopod, and has a minimum focus distance of about 12 feet. The Pentax 560 looks like a tripod-only device with a long minimal focus distance. Most of the people I see photographing birds and wildlife want to walk and shoot whenever and whatever they can. Why would they want to buy a long telescope for $7K when the versatile Sigma is available for a lot less?

Russ
09-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oeriies Quote
I can't believe the price on the DA 560mm F5.6 ED: $6,999.95. The competition is the Sigma 500mm 4.5, a superb piece of glass that retails for $5K. OK the Sigma is not weather resistant and uses screw drive rather than an in-lens motor, but it is faster, designed to be carried around and easily shot hand-held or off a monopod, and has a minimum focus distance of about 12 feet. The Pentax 560 looks like a tripod-only device with a long minimal focus distance. Most of the people I see photographing birds and wildlife want to walk and shoot whenever and whatever they can. Why would they want to buy a long telescope for $7K when the versatile Sigma is available for a lot less?

Russ
Both are out of my price range, but when I was at Magee Marsh this Spring during the warbler migration, it rained one morning and none of the hundreds of huge Canon and Nikon lens users made an appearance until an hour after the rain stopped. That 2k may be worth it.

09-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #5

IMO it would have been better if they released a 18-75 (or 18-80) WR DC lens. A cheaper alernative to the 18-135, and still have a useful range.

It would be a great kit to the WR bodies, plus it woudn't have the stigma of the SDM, rebranded Tamron motor or not.
09-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

The 560's weight is not specified. I think it will be lighter than the Sigma 500/4.5. It has fewer elements and a smaller aperture. It may be long physically, but that does not necessarily mean it will be hard to carry. MSRP usually settles down after a month or two. The half stop difference looks good on paper, but will it actually make a significant difference in the field?

I should note that I am personally unlikely to ever buy another Sigma. I've tried three over the years and gone back to my Pentax glass because they just did not work. The last one I tried was the 170-500 as a possible AF replacement for my M 400. It was not a good lens in comparison.

One thing that really, really, drives me up the wall is trying to remember which way things turn when I change lenses. This may seem a small thing, but when I'm trying to focus on a bird in the branches, it can make the difference between getting the shot and not getting it.

One old guys opinion.
09-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I was not expecting to see another lens to be released by Pentax with SDM in it. I wonder if it is just branding, and the motor is actually the Tamron Pz motor or whatever it is they call it?
I wasn't expecting it either, especially on a non * lens. This is what is said about it on the PentaxImaging site out of Colorado.

QuoteQuote:
With the PENTAX-original SDM autofocus system, driven by a built-in supersonic motor, this zoom lens offers exceptionally smooth and quiet autofocus operation. When mounted on an SDM-compatible PENTAX K-mount digital camera body, the focus mode is automatically switched to SDM-assisted autofocusing to ensure dependable, flawless AF operation.
09-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The 560's weight is not specified.
3040g

09-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The PENTAX DA 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 ED SDM lens looks like a nice range of focal lengths, to bad there's no weather sealing on it . . . for those of us who would venture out without an umbrella to protect our gear.