Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Agree 100%.
Ok, I have another example to support my statement that we know more than Pentax USA about their product line.

Guess what lens they do not list in their Warranty Registration area of the official Pentax USA website?

The DA15 Limited. They have the new DA18-270 and the new 645 lenses listed. No DA15 Limited. I had to select "Other" and when I did it did not have a drop down menu for me to describe the other, so I guess they'll never know what lens the serial number I entered actually goes with.

Even if they outsourced the webpage management and development; you'd think that someone, with a wee bit of knowledge, would have spent a day wandering around their own website checking things. Or that over the course of time they would discover such errors. I can't recall the last time I went to a serious manufacturers own webpage and one of their current lineup for which they offer a warranty wasn't listed among their products. I didn't go looking for a mistake on their site, I just wanted to register my new DA15......

Last edited by Docrwm; 09-14-2012 at 06:19 PM.
09-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ok, I have another example to support my statement that we know more than Pentax USA about their product line.

Guess what lens they do not list in their Warranty Registration area of the official Pentax USA website?

The DA15 Limited. They have the new DA18-270 and the new 645 lenses listed. No DA15 Limited. I had to select "Other" and when I did it did not have a drop down menu for me to describe the other, so I guess they'll never know what lens the serial number I entered actually does with.

Even if they outsourced the webpage management and development. You'd think that someone, with a wee bit of knowledge, would have spent a day wandering around their own website checking things. Or that over the course of time they would discover such errors. I can't recall the last time I went to a serious manufacturers own webpage and one of their current lineup for which they offer a warranty wasn't listed among their products. I didn't go looking for a mistake on their site, I just wanted to register my new DA15......
Or how about having to use "White Rabbit" to get things from Pentax Japan?
Things that the USA folks are told are no longer "available".

09-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Or how about having to use "White Rabbit" to get things from Pentax Japan?
Things that the USA folks are told are no longer "available".

Been there, I inadvertently embarrassed Pentax USA into providing me with a diopter cap for my K-x by asking them for one, being told they did not exist, pointing out they were in the K-x manual (then the current camera offered), and approaching Pentax Canada because someone here said they sold them. Pentax USA (same dufuss that told me they did not exist) emailed me for my mailing address out of the blue right after I contacted Pentax Canada. I got one in the mail a couple of days later. They can't even stock items listed in the manuals that come with the cameras! Worse yet, they claim such parts are no longer made!
09-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #79
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Been there, I inadvertently embarrassed Pentax USA into providing me with a diopter cap for my K-x by asking them for one, being told they did not exist, pointing out they were in the K-x manual (then the current camera offered), and approaching Pentax Canada because someone here said they sold them. Pentax USA (same dufuss that told me they did not exist) emailed me for my mailing address out of the blue right after I contacted Pentax Canada. I got one in the mail a couple of days later. They can't even stock items listed in the manuals that come with the cameras! Worse yet, they claim such parts are no longer made!
Exactly.

Remember my big MZ-S cap deal?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/177375-mz-s-re...surements.html

09-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #80
Lens Buying Addict

I remember that entire thread - that was a lot of fun to read - bookmarked it so I could keep up! It really is a shame that all the odd Pentax parts that were available on eBay in the early 2000's have dried up.

I really do believe that Pentax USA outsourced to contractors all the functions of the company under Hoya. Now that they have a willing partner/owner with some capital they don't have the human capital / institutional memory / infrastructure to quickly restore market presence. It will be many years of work and investment before PRIAC is restored to a real Distributor rather than an order-taker for 5 large accounts.
09-14-2012, 07:36 PM - 2 Likes   #81
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I remember that entire thread - that was a lot of fun to read - bookmarked it so I could keep up! It really is a shame that all the odd Pentax parts that were available on eBay in the early 2000's have dried up.

I really do believe that Pentax USA outsourced to contractors all the functions of the company under Hoya. Now that they have a willing partner/owner with some capital they don't have the human capital / institutional memory / infrastructure to quickly restore market presence. It will be many years of work and investment before PRIAC is restored to a real Distributor rather than an order-taker for 5 large accounts.
Pentax just has to walk down their accessory vault, and look over all the "M" and "A" accessories and make them into DA equivalents, and presto - brand new product lines and simple value added accessories.

I would leave my job to head up that manufacturing effort here in the USA.
I know the CNC/CAD/CAM folks who could do it. I know the software developers and business folks who could make it a reality.

I guess the bottom line is that Pentax USA doesn't seem to have people who want to "play" and move things forward. If the folks in the USA are too downtrodden, then they need to move on. If the folks that work for Pentax are not loving what they do, they need to move on. People that work for Pentax need to be excited about the product, like some of the Pentaxians here.
09-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Sounds like Leica is a much superior brand than Pentax can ever be . . .
09-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter

I would think that after a period of time that Adam might ask Mr. Noboru Akahane, president of Pentax Ricoh Imaging in Japan and Mr. James Malcolm, executive vice president of Pentax USA, to do an interview with the Forum here. I would like to first watch, wait and see if anything changes with MAP and if or how Pentax USA changes anything in the interim. Not holding my breath....

09-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #84
Forum Member

Pentax just has to walk down their accessory vault, and look over all the "M" and "A" accessories and make them into DA equivalents, and presto - brand new product lines and simple value added accessories.

I know the CNC/CAD/CAM folks who could do it. I know the software developers and business folks who could make it a reality.

I guess the bottom line is that Pentax USA doesn't seem to have people who want to "play" and move things forward. If the folks in the USA are too downtrodden, then they need to move on. If the folks that work for Pentax are not loving what they do, they need to move on. People that work for Pentax need to be excited about the product, like some of the Pentaxians here.
Now that statement is the absolute truth about how to make things happen.
09-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #85
Site Supporter

I agree!