Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ned's behavior has been ver unJapanese in reference to his company. I just didn't understand why Pentax Japan waited. It is completely at odds with the idea of Corporate identity and faithfulness for the president of a Japanese owned company to be seen routinely using a competitors product instead of his company's product.

His replacement has been part of the second tier during Pentax putting in place things like MAP. He's an old Sony man too.

We shall see what becomes of Pentax in the fullness of time.

09-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Maybe they pushed Ned out because they finally realized how ridiculous it was to have a Leica shooter as the head of Pentax USA. Even if Leica was Ned's favorite brand, publicly he should have been blogging about only Pentax. It would be like me being sponsored by Pentax, but then shooting with Nikon and telling everyone about it....in Ned's case it would have been fine to be a Leica shooter if he had been private about it. Ahh, maybe I am just in a bad mood tonight, but this announcement kind of made me happy.
I agree. I never understood his Leica passion given he was CEO of Pentax USA.
VERY bad form in a Japanese (or any) company.
09-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Well, one thing for sure - we know who won't be at Photokina on Ricoh's expense account.
09-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Well, one thing for sure - we know who won't be at Photokina on Ricoh's expense account.
Yep. I wish Pentax would hire some of us Pentaxian zealots for *something*. A focus group or something official or have a defined presence here on PF.

I must say that the folks who are from Pentax on Facebook are doing a GREAT job.
The FB Pentax folks even coordinated my $100 off coupon with the PentaxWebStore.

I was one of the first Pentax users on their facebook page, and their presence there is making a difference. So, Kudos to them.

There are still a few people in Pentax USA that I feel need to go, and I wonder how close (to the axe) they were to Ned.

09-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I live just a mile or so from the head office in Denver. I'd just to say that I'm totally available to receive free equipment for test purposes. That's no trouble at all...
09-12-2012, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I live just a mile or so from the head office in Denver. I'd just to say that I'm totally available to receive free equipment for test purposes. That's no trouble at all...
If *I* worked for Pentax in Denver, I would have WEEKLY get togethers of Pentaxians. I would have Pentax workshops. I would have someone available at all times to demonstrate Pentax products for anyone that walked in. I would have a Pentax store on the premises where I would sell whatever we made - probably at a discount. I would sponsor a local sports team of some sort and have pictures on my Facebook or Webpage. I would have trips where Pentaxians could go on, and be part of living the Pentax life.

In short, I would show some level of passion for a product I have used since the '80s.

It seems like Pentax USA is too afraid to get out there and do marketing with the best of them.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 09-12-2012 at 07:21 PM.
09-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #37
Pentaxian

If *I* worked for Pentax in Denver, I would have WEEKLY get togethers of Pentaxians. I would have Pentax workshops. I would have someone available at all times to demonstrate Pentax products for anyone that walked in. I would have a Pentax store on the premises where I would sell whatever we made - probably at a discount. I would sponsor a local sports team of some sort and have pictures on my Facebook or Webpage. I would have trips where Pentaxians could go on, and be part of living the Pentax life.

In short, I would show some level of passion for a product I have used since the '80s.

It seems like Pentax USA is too affraid to get out there and do marketing with the best of them.
I think someone said they used to have a retail store at their old offices in Golden -- they were thinking of adding something downtown here, but haven't that I know of.

I did get a sweet deal on some lenses from a dude Hoya laid off last year -- they gave him a box of stuff as a parting gift.

09-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Noboru Akahane, the President of the Pentax itself, probably wants to take personal responsibility for America (the problem child? ).
To me this looks like they are putting the top executive where there is the most opportunity. Face it the US is a huge market and Pentax has a tiny presence. Changes can be made much faster if you don't have to ask a boss half a world away. I would not expect it, but maybe they can even set up a manufacturing or research facility. Other Japanese companies have been very successful doing just that.
09-12-2012, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

After he saw the new releases he just said to hell with it and quit.....lol
09-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been critical of Ned - or possibly the policies he was handed. However with his retirement, Ricoh Pentax clearly has ownership and responsibility, now. I think that MAP was their idea - we should know for sure now. Now, that MAP (or MAD) is back - and after reading that B&H was trying to talk some sense into Pentax about their MAP pricing strategy, along with the resulting collapse of sales that Adam indicated, it will be clear whose policies they actually were. Also, the pricing of the new re-badged Tamron lens with its inflated price. So, it will be interesting to watch how the events unfold, to say the least.....

With respect to the new releases, its only been a year (minus a couple of weeks), on the Ricoh watch. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that this was the best they could muster, with the rest of the company working on the Ricoh inspired next great new releases. So, waiting and watching. Impress me! The one aspect that the new offering do provide is an enlarged family of K5 based models - K5, K5 II (two sticks), K30, K-01. So, there will be a rich set of 16MP models available in the future....

The Forums is not solely about gear - its about going out and taking pictures!

Last edited by interested_observer; 09-12-2012 at 08:24 PM.
09-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #41
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
News update from the official Pentax website:

Read the PentaxForums.com report on this news | Pentax press release
Sad, but it's right move. IMO.
09-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I must say that the folks who are from Pentax on Facebook are doing a GREAT job.
I agree,in the past few months they have been doing more with social network marketing in the US. They found me and recently started following (and conversing and retweeting) me on twitter. I also know that they are on pinterest. I was very impressed by the effort! Hopefully, this kind of client interaction will grow in the coming months!
09-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
To me this looks like they are putting the top executive where there is the most opportunity. Face it the US is a huge market and Pentax has a tiny presence. Changes can be made much faster if you don't have to ask a boss half a world away. I would not expect it, but maybe they can even set up a manufacturing or research facility. Other Japanese companies have been very successful doing just that.
I agree with you 100% there.
09-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Ahh, maybe I am just in a bad mood tonight, but this announcement kind of made me happy.
I don't think this is a bad thing. I tried to post a comment on the main page, but for some reason it didn't work. What I had to say was:

I wish people well, in general, and that includes Ned, of course. It is true that we don't have much information about the "hand he was dealt," working with his bosses overseas. However, there is one thing we do have information about, and that is results. I don't see how anyone could look at what the Pentax brand has become over the last few years, and say he has done anything positive for the company in the U.S. I don't think he designs products, so I wouldn't give him the credit for how great Pentax cameras have been.

In fact, all I have seen is that the company he works for has been making great products for the last few years, and he has failed to get the word out about them. That's it. I literally cannot think of anything positive to say about the current status of Pentax in America, which means i can't think of anything positive about his tenure. If anybody can think of anything, I'd love to hear it.
09-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Yes and no, if it were passion as in "I love Leica's so much I want to collect them"ad then on occasion like to use on of those classic classics (the film ones) for an occasional shoot and some time in a dark room, that is okay.. If however it seems a Leica is you premier choice just because... You're in trouble...

That is why I politely declined the position of CEO of Heineken Beer....