Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #46
Pentaxian

I don't see him admitting he likes other brand's cameras as such a big issue; it makes me believe he genuinely likes photography and Pentax. On the contrary, I think pretending to like Pentax and only Pentax but hating it instead or being indifferent would be much, much worse.

Good luck, Ned, and stay well!

09-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All the best Ned in your future endeavours. I'll still be following you on your Posterous
09-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
That is why I politely declined the position of CEO of Heineken Beer....
At least you're not responsible for those commercials they play in the US. The new one with song 'Love Letter' by Clairy Browne and the Bangin’ Rackettes isn't quite as annoying as the one with the song 'Jaan Pehechaan Ho' by Mohammed Rafi or the one with 'The Golden Age' by The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, but I might have had to do bodily harm to you
09-13-2012, 05:22 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't see him admitting he likes other brand's cameras as such a big issue; it makes me believe he genuinely likes photography and Pentax.
It was more than "admitting he likes other brand's cameras". He purchased and raved about the D-Lux 4 on his blog. This is like the President of Chrysler owning and publicly praising a Boxster. He could explain his using a Leica as market research, but telling everyone how much he loved it was politically naive. It's good to be objective, but this crossed the line for many people, including Pentax management I would expect.

I doubt very much however that this Leica incident had anything to do with his retirement from the company. He may simply have decided to retire, he looks to be about the right age. OTOH, I suspect the retirement was forced, or else he would have made the announcement instead of management. It's clear that Pentax Ricoh Americas is seriously underperforming, therefore the executives are in an extremely vulnerable position. In a company takeover, everyone is scrambling to see who gets a chair in a leaner, meaner organization. If you aren't a star, your job is in jeopardy.

If Americans could see the difference in Pentax penetration in Canada, they would have a clearer idea of how poorly Pentax USA was performing. Honestly, I expected this announcement from day one of the merger. I thought Ricoh would have made this change almost immediately. The fact that it took almost a year could mean they gave Ned a chance to implement a turnaround, or else they didn't want to shake things up too much while a new corporate strategy was solidified. Either way, I hope he got a generous package and I am looking for good things from the new leadership. The fact that the CEO of Ricoh has taken this on personally shows the importance of the Americas market, which I assume includes South & Central America, where Pentax currently appears to have no presence.

09-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Yes, I understand that. It's just that I appreciate more his honesty, than being politically correct. As I've said, it made me believe he's also honest when he says he likes photography, and Pentax products.

I'm not so sure Ricoh wanted to get rid of him. Maybe they indeed wanted to have a Japanese in control, and Ned saw this as an opportunity to retire. Maybe Ned wanted to retire, and Ricoh saw that as an opportunity to have a Japanese in control. Why assuming bad things about a person we don't know much about?
09-13-2012, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, from my perspective, and my interaction with Pentax USA.

1) I offered to coordinate some kind of Florida/Orlando get together for several product rollouts since there is ZERO Pentax in Florida. I heard nothing. No promo was sent my way, no outreach, nothing.
2) I sent them a resume for a position (I knew I was not qualified) and they never sent me back ANYTHING official - not even a thank you for applying.
3) I gave them locations that used to carry Pentax in Central Florida, and tried to get someone to re-engage those vendors. Nothing.
4) Pentax marketing misses too many *Free* opportunities in real life.
5) Pentax needs to take a cue from the Apple Fanboys and get some people in the company that are crazy about Pentax, not some self-deprecating folks who wish they worked for Canikony or Leicablad.

You saw it here first - Leicablad - cameras that are too expensive for the average photographer and have a high snoot factor.
09-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It just seems kind of wrong to use money that Pentax is giving you to represent them for buying Leicas.

09-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #53
Pentaxian

You mean, your life should be dictated by the company you're working for?
09-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When someone makes CEO salaries and attains that level in a company - yes.
That is part of the justification of being a CEO.

In the absence of a paid superstar corporate pitch person, the CEO is the top "advertiser" for the company.

Can you imagine if Larry Ellison was seen holding a copy of Windows 7?
Can you imagine if Bill Gates wore a Polo Shirt with Oracle on it?

If Ned had released a sex tape to YouTube, it would have been easier to understand than his "passion/like" for Leica blog posts along his Pentax ones, given his position within Pentax.
09-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I mean if you are selling brand X, you should not be implying that brand Y is the better choice.
Dictate your life? No. Be a part of your life? Yes.
09-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Microsoft banning Mac, iPad purchases by its sales and marketing group? | ZDNet
09-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Lets see if he start selling his Pentax gear in the marketplace here..... ^^
09-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope. Just your intentional public statements and actions. Public access to what were formerly private actions (through the Internet) has changed significantly the "safe" behaviors of all manner of persons.

If you are CEO of Pentax Americas, own and use all the Leicas you want. Just don't make blog posts about them.
09-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Yes, yes - I understand very well your arguments and I can't find fault in your reasoning. Probably it's strange for someone to like the honest Pentax and Leica-loving Ned, but that's me.
Besides, Pentax had no equivalent product for that Leica (am I wrong?) - so it wasn't anything like "that product is better than ours" - which would be bad.
09-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, yes - I understand very well your arguments and I can't find fault in your reasoning. Probably it's strange for someone to like the honest Pentax and Leica-loving Ned, but that's me.
Besides, Pentax had no equivalent product for that Leica (am I wrong?) - so it wasn't anything like "that product is better than ours" - which would be bad.
Well then, if his guiding principle is to be honest in the way you depict honesty, Ned shouldn't have accepted the job in the first place. Nor should the CEO of any camera company other than Leica.

That's what I mean about choices and principles and actions having consequences. One is entitled to NOTHING other than the right to make a choice - and is obliged to accept NOTHING other than the consequences of those choices..