Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by phillydad Quote
I saw someone quote the price of a "New" K5 of $513. Would something like this be eligible for a 2 year extended warrantee? (and if new bodies are sold on Pentax Forums, what will the warrantee situation be?). At that price, I'd love one - especially if one could get the 2 year extension...
that's a good question, as I asked one of the Pentax staff members at the sale if warranties still apply and she said 'yes,' however my receipt was labeled 'no warranty, no returns.' But the receipt was not itemized with item descriptions or serial numbers and most items had their warranty cards in the box.

I went ahead and registered my new gear at Pentax Imaging anyway.

03-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #32
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phillydad Quote
I saw someone quote the price of a "New" K5 of $513. Would something like this be eligible for a 2 year extended warrantee? (and if new bodies are sold on Pentax Forums, what will the warrantee situation be?). At that price, I'd love one - especially if one could get the 2 year extension...
Dunno, you'd have to ask Pentax. Usually there's only warranty on new purchases.

And they changed their mind- these items won't be sold on PF

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I picked up a refurb K20 to replace my broken one for $170 and an AF540 for $181. I was told by one of the staff at Denver Pro Photo that they were actually contacted by Pentax with an offer for them to be Pentax's only official retailer in Denver. It seems a perfect match, as DPP is the last real photo lab and shop around town. It's always been odd to me that with thir headquarters in Denver, there was no where to go and buy a Pentax DSLR.

I came really close to getting a K5 for $513, but value my marriage too much.
03-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #34
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
I came really close to getting a K5 for $513, but value my marriage too much.
Wise man!

I wish they had done this through ebay at least.. somewhere online.. I would have got an 18-55WR for 86 dollars.

03-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Dunno, you'd have to ask Pentax. Usually there's only warranty on new purchases.

Well, that certainly sucks.
03-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #36

There were some good deals to be had, and lots of stuff still there on Saturday afternoon. I got a 55-300mm for $182 and an AF540FGz for $189 and was tempted by a Kr kit for $225. It is nice to have a local place again where Pentax stuff can be seen and handled. They even had several 645D that one could hold and fantasize over. The sale goes on until 6 today (the 2nd) so if you are local if would definitely go by.
03-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
I was told by one of the staff at Denver Pro Photo that they were actually contacted by Pentax with an offer for them to be Pentax's only official retailer in Denver.
well, when I was in DPP yesterday, they had a large counter with what looked like a permanent pentax logo on it with a bunch of pentax gear on the wall behind. I'd say that was pretty good evidence that there is finally a pentax dealer in denver!
03-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Castleman Quote
There were some good deals to be had, and lots of stuff still there on Saturday afternoon. I got a 55-300mm for $182 and an AF540FGz for $189 and was tempted by a Kr kit for $225. It is nice to have a local place again where Pentax stuff can be seen and handled. They even had several 645D that one could hold and fantasize over. The sale goes on until 6 today (the 2nd) so if you are local if would definitely go by.

Yes, those 645D bodies were going for $6k - not bad. Still too rich for my blood; but, I did pick up the last (I think) 31 mm limited they had for $787 + tax (ouch!).

Had a nice talk with one of the older Pentax reps, and the word I got from the other (younger) rep was "good things are coming" - but he wouldn't say what or when.

I've never seen so many Pentax shooters in one place, at one time - ever. It would be nice if Pentax Denver repeated events similar to this in the future - maybe educational seminars like Canon and Nikon do.

Pentaxians would come and maybe bring (non Pentax) friends.

03-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Definitely would have bought some WR and possibly a flash if I had the chance to attend this!
03-03-2013, 04:55 AM   #40

I wish they would reconsider, and find some creative way for more of us to get our hands on those deals. Cameras, Lenses, and Binoculars... Bummed that I missed out.
03-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #41
Site Supporter

I'm under the impression that there will be at least one more event like this, in Denver, in the next several months. Speaking with one of the Pentax employees, she said that she had been too busy to even get to "her" warehouse yet. She said that there were several 645d's and "boxes and boxes" of lenses. Keep your eyes and ears open.

Also, ALL of the items sold were "as-is, no warranty". You were very much encouraged to try everything and examine it closely. They all had color coded stickers which indicated their status. The vast majority of the items were stock returns from retailers. Most had never been opened. Every item I left with (lenses) were still wrapped and had never been removed from their pouches. I noticed that on all three Limiteds I purchased that the serial #'s were very low, all of them just 4 digits. So I'm guessing that mine were stock returns and had just been sitting here in a warehouse for a few years. Other items were repackaged from damaged boxes, and a few were coded as "2nd class" and as exchanges.

I don't think this would have worked over the internet. You had to be there to try them yourself.
03-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Sad. Guess they thought they'd be undercutting their own new sales. Funny, I asked what happened to returns and open boxes a few months ago because I had never seen any on sale (like we see with Sigma for instance). Guess I know now.
03-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
I'm under the impression that there will be at least one more event like this, in Denver, in the next several months.
I wonder how the economics of flying out there would work out?
03-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wonder how the economics of flying out there would work out?
Buy 3 645Ds and you've made up the airfare =p
03-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Buy 3 645Ds and you've made up the airfare =p
From where? What class?