Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wasn't it last year that Pentax increased lens prices just before K-30 announcement ?

This could indicate that the launch of a new body is now imminent.

05-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We know most of our gear is better than most of Canisonikon's, but we are perceived as the cheap, price leader. If you could put a red dot on a Q it could sell for 3x as much money.
Not sure about the Q, but as for DA* lenses, they all got micro ultrasonic motors, while the competition has much faster ring-type ultrasonic motors in their top glass (L / gold ring). So I don't think it's just perception. I don't think it's worth it jumping brands over, primarily because I'm actually scaling back the amount of stuff I have, but I'm not happy about it either.
05-02-2013, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Come on Adam, you know why this is happening. FF is almost here and this is why the highest increases were on FF lenses. New bodies are coming soon.
05-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Presumably the yen slumping 20% in value against the dollar allows these dollar price cuts to happen with no yen impact on the Japanese company's earnings.

Well done Abe-san ( Japanese Prime Minister ). PentaxForums applauds your economic policy :-)

05-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sankon Quote
Presumably the yen slumping 20% in value against the dollar allows these dollar price cuts to happen with no yen impact on the Japanese company's earnings.

Well done Abe-san ( Japanese Prime Minister ). PentaxForums applauds your economic policy :-)
Unfortunately you are right but they also raised prices by up to 50% the same day on 11 different lenses.
05-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting. There doesn't seem to be any pricing change in Japan. If anything, Pentax equipment is getting cheaper at retail, the K5iis body now at $800 for example. No changes on lens prices.

Perhaps there should be a distinction between the forum, ahem, "love" shown to Pentax/Ricoh America and Pentax/Ricoh ROTW ( rest of the world ... where most of us live :-) )
05-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax/Ricoh ROTW ( rest of the world ... where most of us live :-) )
I have to remember that acronym. Adam should add it to the list of "definitions" that get the underline and linky.

PRI-ROTW

05-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Interesting. There doesn't seem to be any pricing change in Japan. If anything, Pentax equipment is getting cheaper at retail, the K5iis body now at $800 for example. No changes on lens prices.

Perhaps there should be a distinction between the forum, ahem, "love" shown to Pentax/Ricoh America and Pentax/Ricoh ROTW ( rest of the world ... where most of us live :-) )
That's an interesting take on it. First, Japan is different from the rest of the World by what you posted because the IIs is <$800 and its $1100 here. Second, we've seen Europe be treated differently from Canada, which is treated differently fron Singapore, which is treated differently from Oz, and on and on. So, there is no "rest of the World". But why this change is important is that for many without local shops, regardless of where thry live on Earth, B&H and Adorama were their suppliers of Pentax gear. Now they too, regardless of where they live, have to pay too much too.
05-04-2013, 04:58 AM - 3 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

"Restore trust" seems like an odd statement to those of us who don't "trust" corporations. There is only one measure by which I rate corporations. That would be, do they have what I want at a price I can pay.Trust has nothing to do with it. I "trust" every corporation to take every cent from me they can to increase their bottom line. When people start projecting human qualities like "trust worthy" onto corporations, that's a sign of a serious disconnect from reality. Pentax isn't your grandfather, it's a company who's only method of self preservation is to extract money from those who buy it's product. Hopefully as much as possible.

So I really trust Pentax, I trust them to take every cent they can get from me. But, if they make something I want, I'll give them my money despite their rotten attitude. And i feel exactly the same about every major corporation. It would be wonderful to have some corporations out there, that wanted to just give us what we want at a fair cost without regards to their owner/shareholders, who are basically a bunch of people out to maximize the return on their investment. But, you'll notice, the owner shareholders get votes at the annual meeting, the customers don't. You think that might affect policy a little. We all know Pentax needs some cash. Their R&D is falling behind. They aren't releasing a lot of new product. But every time Pentax tries to raise money buy raising prices, everyone wants them to raise it on the backs of someone else, not themselves. I find it hard to listen to the constant whining of people who keep asking for handouts. They want Pentax to essentially hand them product for cheaper than they can make it so they can "grow the brand." Well that would be one possible strategy. Raising prices to the point where the company could actually invest in some R&D would be another strategy. The thing is, in the long run only plan b works. At some point, Pentax has to make money on it's lenses, from folks like you and me. Or they're out of business.

People keep selling this fantasy about lowering prices and increasing market share like Canon and Nikon, while ignoring the what poorly made pieces of crap low end Nikon and Canon cameras are. For those who want cheap, how about a Nikon D3200? Go for it. Personally I hope Pentax never makes a camera that cheap, but the choices are there. Personally I think Pentax's only hope is to be promoters of mid to high end equipment. Those of you who keep wanting them to be a "discount" camera company, I'm not on your side. I'm just not interested in that.
05-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I notice Pentax UK are also doing a round of rebates and price reductions too:
Pentax UK Offers Cashback on its Range of Cameras | PhotographyBLOG
05-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That's an interesting take on it. First, Japan is different from the rest of the World by what you posted because the IIs is <$800 and its $1100 here. Second, we've seen Europe be treated differently from Canada, which is treated differently fron Singapore, which is treated differently from Oz, and on and on. So, there is no "rest of the World". But why this change is important is that for many without local shops, regardless of where thry live on Earth, B&H and Adorama were their suppliers of Pentax gear. Now they too, regardless of where they live, have to pay too much too.
Seems to me PRAC / PRI might be hoping to speed the inventory draw down of certain lenses and slow the inventory draw down of others. A PRAC-based price increase is an especially useful tool if USA online merchants do indeed sell in other Division and Distributor territories.

If this is inventory management, why do you suppose PRI would be doing that?
05-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Seems to me PRAC / PRI might be hoping to speed the inventory draw down of certain lenses and slow the inventory draw down of others. A PRAC-based price increase is an especially useful tool if USA online merchants do indeed sell in other Division and Distributor territories.

If this is inventory management, why do you suppose PRI would be doing that?
If your theory is right, and just for the sake of argument lets assume that it is - but only for arguments sake, then it signals the release of other gear. The problem with that theory is that the Exec VP in charge of everything Pentax USA told you in your Q interview (as I recall from your review) that a FF is coming but not any time soon. So, why raise prices on existing FF capable lenses at this particularly juncture. My theory is that they thought it would be overlooked in the rush to thank them for "discounts" on 645Ds and the glow that comes from being on Good Morning America. Yes, its a cynical perspective but I think that its the accurate one. They just believed they could hide this and move on quickly by distracting their current customer base.
05-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tactics are often opaque in the fog of war.

I believe they know what they are doing, it is for a reason and they are convinced it will work. They aren't idiots - they're very sharp businessmen who play a long game.

I'm just throwing cheese against the wall here to see if anything sticks, but where is the open aspirational segment in the market?
  • Fuji, Oly and Panny have a strong base in the MILC pockets - maybe one-offs
  • Apple and Samsung own the compact camera
  • What's a Sony or a Sigma?
  • Hassy, Red, Phase One, (Leica?) and Pentax in MF
  • Canon owns the craptacular Soccer Mom market
    • Canon plays an xtacular game in parts of the pro market
  • Nikon owns the quality professional space
    • The only other camera if you leave Pentax
  • Leica is somewhere in the heavens
But who is between Nikon and Leica?

And nobody except Nikon*, Leica and Pentax is making any money.

They're half the size of Canon and twice the size of Nikon. There is room for a third major camera brand and it will be Pentax. In 20 years they will be Number 1. Ricoh plays a very long game - zero tio Number One in copiers in 25 years.

REALITY CHECK!! - In 25 years we'll all be dead and the K-mount, 24,000,000-Legacy-Lens problem will die with us. If you play a long game you want the GenX buyer today and you develop the relationship over several decades.

I don't think they care about Canon. Canon will consume itself from the inside out. They're aiming at Nikon.

*less than expected

Last edited by monochrome; 05-04-2013 at 06:15 AM.
05-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I believe they know what they are doing, it is for a reason and they are convinced it will work. They aren't idiots - they're very sharp businessmen who play a long game.

I'm just throwing cheese against the wall here to see if anything sticks, but where is the open aspirational segment in the market?
  • Fuji, Oly and Panny have a strong base in the MILC pockets - maybe one-offs
  • Apple and Samsung own the compact camera
  • What's a Sony or a Sigma?
  • Hassy, Red, Phase One, (Leica?) and Pentax in MF
  • Canon owns the craptacular Soccer Mom market
    • Canon plays an xtacular game in parts of the pro market
  • Nikon owns the quality professional space
    • The only other camera if you leave Pentax
  • Leica is somewhere in the heavens
But who is between Nikon and Leica?

And nobody except Nikon*, Leica and Pentax is making any money.

They're half the size of Canon and twice the size of Nikon. There is room for a third major camera brand and it will be Pentax. In 20 years they will be Number 1. Ricoh plays a very long game - zero tio Number One in copiers in 25 years.

REALITY CHECK!! - In 25 years we'll all be dead and the K-mount, 24,000,000-Legacy-Lens problem will die with us. If you play a long game you want the GenX buyer today and you develop the relationship over several decades.

I don't think they care about Canon. Canon will consume itself from the inside out. They're aiming at Nikon.

*less than expected
Could be. Abusing your current customer base plays how in that scenario? Don't they get it that the GenX and subsequent generations of buyers surf the net and scan for issues? By abusing their current customer base they are generating a large and easily found list of complaints that will endure for a VERY long time on the internet.
05-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I hope I won't be dead in 25 years! :-)