Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Company name change

News update from the official Pentax website:

PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. announces the company name change as follows.

New company name
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.

Effective Date of the change
August 1, 2013

Purpose of the change
Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company was formed October 1, 2011 as a wholly owned subsidiary of Ricoh Company Ltd. to provide more consumer–oriented offerings to the market.

The company’s goal is to leverage the tremendo...

Pentax news announcement: http://www.pentaximaging.com/about/press/309

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-02-2013, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I'll add this to avoid mass panic:

QuoteQuote:
Both PENTAX and RICOH products will remain in the market to reinforce the company’s commitment to the business.
07-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Ni...Ni...Nik...Niko....

Damn, I can't even say it - how will I ever get used to using it?
07-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I'll add this to avoid mass panic:
There are three things that are certain in life: death, taxes and mass panic

Let's see who made Pentax cameras:
Asahi Optical, 1957 - 2002
Pentax Corporation, 2002 - 31 March 2008
Hoya Corporation, 1st April 2008 - 1st October 2011
Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company, 2011 - 31 July 2013
Ricoh Imaging Company, 1st August 2013 - ?

So in their entire history (56 years and counting), we had less than 9 years and 4 months of "Pentax" making "Pentax". We could also count how many "Pentax" cameras were made by "Pentax", if you wish - but I'd say the result is obvious.

Honeywell was just importing and rebranding Pentax products made by Asahi Optical.

07-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
Ni...Ni...Nik...Niko....

Damn, I can't even say it - how will I ever get used to using it?
You won't. You'll never get used to turning the lens the wrong way to mount and dis-mount it.
07-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
The company’s goal is to leverage the tremendous strength and awareness of the Ricoh brand along with the superior technical innovation of Pentax products to deliver a world- class consumer experience.
When you leave it as "The company's goal is to leverage the tremendo...", I was confused for a few seconds wondering - what the heck is a tremendo?
07-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There are three things that are certain in life: death, taxes and mass panic

Let's see who made Pentax cameras:
Asahi Optical, 1957 - 2002
Pentax Corporation, 2002 - 31 March 2008
Hoya Corporation, 1st April 2008 - 1st October 2011
Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company, 2011 - 31 July 2013
Ricoh Imaging Company, 1st August 2013 - ?

So in their entire history (56 years and counting), we had less than 9 years and 4 months of "Pentax" making "Pentax". We could also count how many "Pentax" cameras were made by "Pentax", if you wish - but I'd say the result is obvious.

Honeywell was just importing and rebranding Pentax products made by Asahi Optical.
And prior to WWII the trademark to Pentax was owned by Zeiss Ikon, though never used.

07-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Maybe it might come down to customer surveys and if the Ricoh name is more recognisable than Pentax then it might change...just throwing it out there.
07-04-2013, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

I never thought that the company being known as "PRIC" was such a good idea, anyways.
07-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Read the announcement; the PENTAX brand is here to stay. Only the company name was changed.
07-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #11
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
IMO something is changing, we just do not know what exactly. If this has happened 2 years ago, everything was clear now. Ricoh bought Pentax and now makes Penatx branded cameras, and actually I do not care who makes them. However, now it is different story. It seems that Ricoh gradually eliminates Pentax name, but does it slowly for not to scare the users (?). I do not care if my next camera will be called Ricoh, but I will be disappointed if they will go Sony or Olympus route.

A.
07-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Other than for nostalgia, it does not really matter to me if "Pentax" name disappears, as long as my K mount lenses continue to be supported...
07-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I hate change, I love change....change is good, change is bad.... but for me and a pile of others who picked our camera brand years ago... I can buy a Nikon or a Canon camera, however I'm not sure I could buy a Ricoh camera even if it was rebranded Pentax. Ricoh used to make SLRs. They didn't last as long as Pentax. Years of programming would have to be overcome. I'm not sure that's something I want to put a lot of energy into. Ya, I'm only half serious.... but, for Ricoh, the bad thing is, I'm half serious.
07-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JF Jayhawk Quote
I DID READ THE ANNOUNCEMENT....and I am referring to the Company Name, and addressing the issue that this all sets up the Branding on the camera itself to be threatened.
So it doesn't matter at all to you that Pentax was just a brand of the Asahi Optical Co. from 1957-2002? What difference does it make what name is on the bottom of the camera? It only said Pentax Corp. from 2002 - 2007, then it said Hoya from 2007 - 2011, then Pentax Ricoh Imaging Co., now it will say Ricoh. The world must be coming to an end...

It's still going to say Pentax on the front of the camera and it's still going to be K-mount...
07-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JF Jayhawk Quote
Ever shoot a Pentax-M or Pentax-A lens?
You mean lenses made by Asahi Optical Company? Not by "Pentax" - Pentax was just a brand of Asahi Optical Company from the 1950s until 2002. The company name changed to 'Pentax Corporation' in 2002, then 'Hoya Pentax' in 2007, then 'Pentax Ricoh Imaging' in 2011...

From what Ricoh has said, they know the marketing value of the Pentax brand - but that's all it really is, a brand. If the name on the building is what matters, the time to be upset was 2007. Or 2002.

Edit: BorisCleto types faster than I do...