Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh Imaging Debuts an Innovative User Interface Attracting Mid-Level DSLR Camera Bu

News update from the official Pentax website:

Denver, Colorado August 27, 2014 – Focused on expanding the number of PENTAX DSLR owners, RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION is excited to announce the launch of the PENTAX K-S1 DSLR camera. By combining proven imaging technology, distinct design cues and a flat field user interface the K-S1 appeals to the next generation PENTAX owner without surrendering the performance expected in a mid-class...

Pentax news announcement: Pentax K-S1 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

White body is now pre-ordered - no news on availability except 'September' but oh well.
I couldn't help myself, especially not when my wife thinks it's so cute
08-27-2014, 04:50 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guess we hit the limit on number of characters in a title field?

And guess what!? Ricoh is a company focused on expanding the number of Pentax owners!
Who knew?!
(Good thing they stopped focusing on decreasing or keeping the number the same. )

C'mon marketing is that the best you can do?

Last edited by crewl1; 08-27-2014 at 04:55 PM.
08-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Focused on expanding the number of PENTAX DSLR owners
I like the effort and the design. The camera seems pretty full-featured for the price, but -

I still say they won't sell many in the USA unless they get trailer loads in BestBuy and Costco and Target and support it with ad dollars. Now that would be a change of direction.

08-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I like the effort and the design. The camera seems pretty full-featured for the price, but -

I still say they won't sell many in the USA unless they get trailer loads in BestBuy and Costco and Target and support it with ad dollars. Now that would be a change of direction.
Don't you think it might be too expensive, too ugly/bulky with the kit 18-55? Why not the 35/2.4, or an XSized DA21?
08-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It looks more than a bit like a gamer's computer case. I'll pass. The design really doesn't appeal to me at all.
08-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sign me up for tweed.

Probably not, but this looks like an awesome little camera. If I didn't have a K-r, I would jump all over this.

08-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Don't you think it might be too expensive, too ugly/bulky with the kit 18-55? Why not the 35/2.4, or an XSized DA21?
Well the price point is higher than what we think the competitors might be but on a features and capability / price basis it might be a good value. That's supposed to be the Ricoh pricing strategy - good value by packing more and better features into a body than the price would seem to warrant.

As far as the lens - I wonder if Ricoh has enough 35/2.4's to meet the demand - or could even produce them - versus the ubiquitous 18~55, and whether they would want to commoditize the 35/2.4. Maybe better the 50/1.8.

Frankly I'd like them to do a plastic pancake too for this body but it probably won't happen, most definitely not an XS. A DA21 is too specialized a lens to go with a step-up camera designed to appeal to new dSLR users anyway. They probably want a one-size-fits zoom.

But I'm not going to buy it anyway, so it doesn't matter what I think. I probably won't buy another Pentax CAMERA at all until the (not on this thread) is released.