Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

09-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #62
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm not going to take the time - but it sure would be interesting to line up all the Ricoh releases September 1, 2013 - September 1, 2014 and compare them to the other makers. My guess is there would be more enthusiast gear on the Pentax list than many (most?) of the other brands.
Trying to think. Camera bodies would be 645z, K3, Q-S1, and K-S1. Glass would be the 07 and 08 for the Q, the teleconverter for the k mount, 18-270 (which is just a rebadge, so no big deal), 16-85 for k mount, I think the HD DA limiteds come in some time around last September, and the DA limited zoom 20-40. In addition, there were a couple of medium format lenses.

Probably about as much as we can expect, the problem is that too little of it was targeted at forumites. More at medium format (too rich for me) and lower end stuff (just not terribly interested). Another superzoom, another slow-ish kit lens, some new lens coatings. At least do an upgrade on the FA limiteds, already.
09-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And to add to that, when the day comes that Pentax is finally doomed, then the prophecy "Pentax is doomed" shall be fulfilled. So sayeth Dr. Doom
09-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Trying to think. Camera bodies would be 645z, K3, Q-S1, and K-S1. Glass would be the 07 and 08 for the Q, the teleconverter for the k mount, 18-270 (which is just a rebadge, so no big deal), 16-85 for k mount, I think the HD DA limiteds come in some time around last September, and the DA limited zoom 20-40. In addition, there were a couple of medium format lenses.

Probably about as much as we can expect, the problem is that too little of it was targeted at forumites. More at medium format (too rich for me) and lower end stuff (just not terribly interested). Another superzoom, another slow-ish kit lens, some new lens coatings. At least do an upgrade on the FA limiteds, already.
I think that's really my point, in two statements. Ricoh actually had a very good year if we look at it honestly. I'm not certain "not targeted at Forumites" is really a problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And to add to that, when the day comes that Pentax is finally doomed, then the prophecy "Pentax is doomed" shall be fulfilled. So sayeth Dr. Doom
Pentaxo non delenda est. So sayeth me.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-16-2014 at 09:20 AM.
09-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh actually had a very good year if we look at it honestly. I'm not certain "not targeted at Forumites" is really a problem.
I was thinking we'd seen more activity in the past year than any two years in recent memory.
09-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Pentax is doomed... Pentax is gone. Pentax is nothing but a line of products.
Ricoh however, Ricoh will thrive .
09-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #67
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
for all the HociR talk around PF, I've seen some serious Pentax bashing on the Ricoh camp too. (if you could suspend the disbelief)
09-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #68

I used pentaxes.

After starting with a 2nd hand practika nova, when I was about 20, and I really got to enjoy photography, I bought a spotmatic, a spotmatic 2, a spotmatic F, two Super A`s then myphotography diminished during the digital change over, i got a fuji bridge camera which got me into digital photography, until i got back on track with a pentax K7, wg-1 and a K3 all of which i use now with a lumixTZ30, (with the Leica Lens, sooo sharp)... I have new 18-55, 18-135 and 50-200 lenses, older super takumar, 35mm 50mm and 70-210 lenses plus a tamron 24mm and finally a Sigma 400. Quite a handy kit, but having it all now puts me off changing to canon or nikon because of the cost of rebuilding it all again. See my latest pics at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/uncled8249/sets

Ed

09-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #69
ogl
Pentaxian

The best IQ - No. A lot cameras have not worse IQ. And even better.
The best primes - No. A lot of brands have better primes.
The best zooms - No. A lot of brands have better zooms.
The best small lenses - No. There are other brands small lenses.
The best low light AF - No. A lot of cameras are faster and better in terms of AF.
The best discussion forum - No. A lot of bias and intolerance.
The best set of functions - No. Rather mediocre in features.
The best advanced compact cameras - No.

What is Ricoh? Small player which trying to survive. Maybe.
09-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I still have a K-5 and a K-1 so I haven't lost that Pentax touch. Perhaps you could define that for me while you're adding things up?

I was intending to sell one of my D800e's, but then I considered how much I'd lose against actually using it, so I decided to keep it.

PS: While we're adding things up; you do realize that, if you had broken that post of yours into 20 smaller ones, you would've increased your post count by up to 20% right?
My apologies Bossa, I wasn't trying to put you on the spot. I've changed systems 3 times, and people have said that if I add it all up, I could have bought a 35mm DSLR. $420 for the Nikon, $1400 for the Sony, $1300 for the K-5, but it doesn't add up to a D800 or 5Dmarkiii at the time, just maybe a single lens kit D600 or 6D later.

Ya gotta love Pentax Forums, we're adding, working out percentages, and next is fractions and algebra !

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 09:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The best low light AF - No. A lot of cameras are faster and better in terms of AF.

So I guess you buy Pentax for the weather sealing and cold proof design in Siberia ! I love the bias and intolerance your sharing in the list - Pentax its all bad ! lol
09-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Pfff... I'll use a Casio or Holga in public if it suits me best.

I was shooting a borrowed Ricoh Diacord TLR a few months ago. The looks I got from people were priceless.

Why isn't Sony a true "photographic brand"? Because it doesn't have a history? Lets not care about history, but about the now. And in the now Sony is the most innovating photographic brand in existence. Not only by the camera gear they are releasing, but also by the sensors that are used in all latest and greatest cameras.
The reason why I felt that Sony wasn't a "real photographic brand", was because everything I read and learnt from magazines and the web said: "Nikon and Canon are the best, and Sony and Pentax are a joke". One Nikon friend tried my Sony, and treated it like he a had piece of poop in his hand.

Having owned an SLT, it had some pretty good features, but innovations ....not so much. The Steady Shot was real good, but compared to the innovations in Shake Reduction, Sony had none. The x2 crop magnification was real good, and Pentax should have adopted it in the K-3. The Panorama mode was cool, but you wouldn't want to print it. 3D panorama rarely worked, and it didn't look 3D, but I didn't have a 3D TV at the time to view. Those innovations were best suited to uploading to facebook, a bit disappointing really. I think there's a real difference between "innovation", and "gimmick", with Sony. Proprietary hotshoe ?

But the NEX camera was a real innovation because it created a new product segment - though the NEX was a bit "Gimmicky". Though the compactness was innovative, the IQ was nothing special. The RX100 is pretty good, but innovative ? Sensors yes, they're making really good sensors. Mirrorless 35mm, yeah they're innovating there. perhaps there's a model or something which I'm not aware of.

So Sony for me is a mix of innovation and gimmicks. Canon and Nikon is about artificial and aggressive product segmentation or stratification, and creative destruction of entire product lines. Eg: Canon business model is - buy a crop camera and learn photography, and then buy a 35mm and throw away the crop body. Oh by the way the EFS lenses wont work on a FF in crop mode because of the protrusion of the mount - at least Nikon allows backwards compatibility. But Nikon shafts you on the 2 entry level models with no inbuilt af motor. But those are technically "innovations" of "Creative Destruction" a business model concept.
09-17-2014, 03:25 AM   #72
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote

So I guess you buy Pentax for the weather sealing and cold proof design in Siberia ! I love the bias and intolerance your sharing in the list - Pentax its all bad ! lol
Which AW prime can you advise me from 15 till 35 mm?
09-17-2014, 06:09 AM   #73
Pentaxian

What is surprising is how little you know about Pentax and how much you think you know.
it's amazing, when most of the forum get along just fine, and there are a few individuals like yourself, who are opinionated, thick headed, ignorant and very vocal and "in your face" about all those things...

and you have the nerve to call the forum intolerant? Where is your tolerance dude? What is it about Pentax that you are tolerant of. Look at your above post, nothing. There is nothing about pentax you can tolerate, but the Pentax Forum is intolerant, not you?

Your post is one of the most intolerant rants ever posted on the forum, and you don't even see it.

Look in the mirror.

If it were my forum you'd be banned. I think you're emotionally out of control. Be grateful the Pentax Forum is a lot more tolerant than I am, and than you are for that matter. Now, are you going to start helping people learn to enjoy their cameras and share the things you enjoy? Or are you going to be a miserable troll the rest of your life?

Last edited by normhead; 09-17-2014 at 06:19 AM.
09-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Why do you continue to use Pentax? Seriously.
09-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Which AW prime can you advise me from 15 till 35 mm?
There is none in K-mount. I have a DA* 16-50 2.8 which to me is a stack of primes and costs about AUD $1100.

I know what you are getting at, Canon does a 15mm L 2.8 which is weather sealed for AUD $2800. But the front ellement is bulbuous and does not accept filters, plus the lens hood is tiny so snow flakes or rain will hit the front element. The Canon 24mm L ii is weather sealed can take filters, has a faily short lens hood, so it might work in rain and snow, but it costs AUD $2000. The Canon L 35mm 1.4 is not weather sealed. Nikon has no offerings that are weather sealed that I can see at a shop.

But we could go on all day like this, you asking me if I can recommend a lens for your Pentax, which you know is not available, but is available in Nikon or Canon.

So the real question is not recommend me a lens, I'm suggesting a question: Do you have the money for these lenses, and will having them actually work in the rain or snow because of short hoods ? I'd hate to see you buy a $4000 Canon 35mm camera, and a $2800 lens ($6000 plus), only to go out in the rain and have water or snow running over your front element - when you could have bought a $5 umbrella, and a 15mm DA for AUD $800.

Its nice to theorize which is the best, who has the best, but then comes the moment when you need to pull your wallet out and pay thousands of dollars, and that little voice inside your head saying, I think I'm gonna need a $5 umbrella anyway on top of the $6000 to $9000.