Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K-5 IIs Discontinued

The Pentax K-5 IIs is discontinued as of late 2014.

Read more on the PF homepage...

12-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Now, this is the preannouncement of a K-3 II
Thus, the inevitable is upon us: this acclaimed yet aging Pentax flagship has been retired by Pentax if favor of the Pentax K-3 and its future replacements.
12-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have only used mine for one hour and now it is obsolete😢

Actually very glad I decided to purchase it when I did. The K-r was doing fine but at the price I couldn't say no.
12-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just because it's discontinued doesn't mean that it won't be a great camera for years to come. Look how many people still use the K10D.

12-08-2014, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

My wife would still be using her K10D if she hadn't dropped it in Havana.
12-08-2014, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
The only good thing that comes out of a dropped camera is the opportunity to upgrade.
12-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife is actually using my *istD for which we just got a couple af 4Gb CF cards, still going strong, not a single dust spec in sensor or viewfinder (and focus screen), and counting around 50 thousand cycles and gone through half a dozen NiCd "AA" sets.

My K20D hasn't seen even half of the *istD's action but even though both bodies may still have lots of juice to give, I must confess I do have a strong "addiction type" need get a new flagship body. My biggest concern now is that all recent price drops on the K3 say that this camera is very VERY close to being replaced with a new flagship. There is no doubt about this issue. My real doubt is about what kind of new flagship: a K3 improvement (sort of a K3-II), or a totally new beast, like a full frame body. Of course, price of new animal is a big issue.

I am afraid I could end "empty handed" if when this day comes in a very close future, I discover the price for new beast is out of my range, and at the same time, the K3 is no longer available new...

12-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
My wife is actually using my *istD for which we just got a couple af 4Gb CF cards, still going strong, not a single dust spec in sensor or viewfinder (and focus screen), and counting around 50 thousand cycles and gone through half a dozen NiCd "AA" sets.

My K20D hasn't seen even half of the *istD's action but even though both bodies may still have lots of juice to give, I must confess I do have a strong "addiction type" need get a new flagship body. My biggest concern now is that all recent price drops on the K3 say that this camera is very VERY close to being replaced with a new flagship. There is no doubt about this issue. My real doubt is about what kind of new flagship: a K3 improvement (sort of a K3-II), or a totally new beast, like a full frame body. Of course, price of new animal is a big issue.

I am afraid I could end "empty handed" if when this day comes in a very close future, I discover the price for new beast is out of my range, and at the same time, the K3 is no longer available new...
For me I wanted the K5iis since it was introduced but it is more than enough to satisfy me for years. But then I am still shooting film and now will be doing with a 90 year old camera. 😊
12-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, I still regard it as cutting edge. It's hard to keep up ;~)
12-08-2014, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Just because it's discontinued doesn't mean that it won't be a great camera for years to come. Look how many people still use the K10D.
I just used mine today.
12-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

I have only used mine for one hour and now it is obsolete😢

Actually very glad I decided to purchase it when I did. The K-r was doing fine but at the price I couldn't say no.

haha.. it reminds me of that old Dell (I think it was) commercial with the guy driving home from the electronics store from where he just bought the top of the line gen 4 computer. On the trip to home, he sees a billboard advertising the next gen 5 computer.. new and improved. Time to just throw it in the trash!

I bought the K-5 II (non-s) on the BF weekend sale last year and am still quite pleased with the camera (Even, at the time, thinking it was a blowout discontinued item sale price). At this point, better lenses would be the spot to consider. Actually, looking at nicer lenses in review here, I see some sample photos with VERY nice IQ taken with a K-30/K-50. So I think we are OK with our 'old' K-5 II's hehehe
12-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also consider my K5iiS to be cutting edge so it is hard to believe it too has gone "over the hill", so to speak.

Since I shoot film most of the time I find myself reaching for my Q or Q7 most of the time whenever I find the need for digital. So it seems my K5iiS is a bit unloved, though that of course is not true. I do find it hard though to give up either my well used K1000 or my LX, though digital certainly seems more convenient.

Though it is now discontinued, my K5iiS is not going anywhere. There will come a time when it gets the attention it definitely deserves.
12-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
It is a great camera... I'll be waiting for a full frame sensor before the next purchase.
12-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Cheers to a great camera! Retirement does not make it any less of a camera...
12-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own the K5iis. It's a great camera (the air gap glass viewer scratches though). All things get replaced with something better to keep the market moving forward. The prices on what's left on the market are really good deals. I was almost tempted to buy another one.