Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sent Mine Back

I had to buy a new one and send the old one back. Now, I got about 2 grand on my credit card. Oh well, it could be a lot worst. However, I got the same answer if they could check it. This might be a long ship and back before it's all over. I would just send it back and not worry about it. I would wait for them to pull the old stock. However, I purchased a battery grip from Pentax Forums, and also a 2 year extended warranty from B&H. It's a great camera beside this small issue.

07-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Mikesul,

Thanks for the update. I don't mind waiting to get a camera that has the mod's to correct the problem.
07-12-2015, 02:19 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I went to my local store (Foto Grobet in Antwerp, Belgium) yesterday for advise on the issue. They hadn't yet had specific communication with Ricoh on the subject, but they advised me to wait until I could spare my camera for a few weeks (they estimated 4 weeks as typical for this kind of intervention), especially since my camera doesn't have the problem yet and there is a workaround. Also because they suspected a lot of cameras to be sent in now, so return might be faster once things calm down a bit.

This made sense to me so I'll keep photographing for now...

Wim
07-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Got my 2nd K-3II

Yesterday, I got my 2nd K-3II. Needless to say, it was in the same group that have the problem. However, this one does not have the problem at all. (We'll see) I'm going to hang on to this one. If the problem arises, I'll send it in. By that time, the camera might need some work on it as well, as I have the 3 year warranty.

07-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tried returning it yesterday for an exchange, but all stock on hand was covered by the recall. Will be making customer service calls every few days to a week to see if new stock is available.

Because of the way B&H implements price match requests on price decreases (the original purchase is "returned" for refund or store credit and a new copy of the product ordered at the new, lower price without actually moving any merchandise, a process called a "virtual return"), I have additional time to return my camera. However, it's still possible for a new shipment to not arrive until after the new return period expires. Hopefully, with the purchasing department made aware of the recall, they should be able to get the issue sorted out as soon as possible. (I brought in a printed copy of the service advisory, which they reproduced and forwarded to purchasing.)

—DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 07-13-2015 at 06:44 PM.
07-14-2015, 02:07 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
We've been doing that for years on all the previous bodies that froze for one reason or other.
In the early days of computer controlled systems in cars that was sometimes the way to 'fix' problems. Sort of burps them, I think. I didn't always have a lot of confidence of that kind of repair or diagnostic strategy, but it worked often enough to at least give it a go when sussing out gremlins.
07-15-2015, 02:47 AM   #22

Well, I have just spoken to the Pentax REP in Slovenia (Foto Besenicar) and Will put my K3 II in for check-up; this means at least 4 weeks as it Will be send to France. Will have my fingers and toes crossed not to get any damage on the way or sloppy hands while it Will be there ... ah, well, Needs must when Devil drives

Greets,

Marko
07-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #23
Pentaxian

well, this sucks...
So i returned my camera to B&H because it did show this issue. I got my replacement, and it is one of the affected serial numbers
I called the customer service line and he was not helpful. He said I could return it to B&H, but of course there is no guarantee that it wont be one of the affected bodies again (in fact, it is highly likely that it would be one). Another option is I could send it in to Precision...and I would have to pay for shipping! He could not give me an estimate for turn around time, I would have to contact Precision for that info. But from other forum members, it is 3-4 weeks.
Very discouraging in my opinion. If Ricoh truly wants their FF to be seriously considered by working pros, having a 4 week turn around with no-loaner available is not acceptable.

Anyway, I am going to fire up the camera tonight and give it a work out. If it does not exhibit any issues, I will just hang on to it for the time being since I have the 1 year manufacturer warranty anyway. If it does have the issue, I will be pissed because I have a vacation coming in 1.5 weeks and I cant get a camera in time

07-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #24

I also just returned my camera to B&H today. It is so stupid to send out more defective/recalled cameras to customers. Why make people more upset than they already are? I'm hoping that they send me a defective-free camera. We will see when it comes.
07-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I also just returned my camera to B&H today. It is so stupid to send out more defective/recalled cameras to customers. Why make people more upset than they already are? I'm hoping that they send me a defective-free camera. We will see when it comes.
I think the problem is the great majority manufactured are potentially effected and the dealers just don't have "clean" ones in stock.

Well I played with mine, turned it on and dozens of times, and turned on GPS logging and all seems well. So unless something goes wrong within the year long manufacturer warranty, I will not be returning mine.
07-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #26

Are they even sure it's limited to the units with the serial numbers they listed? Does Ricoh know what exactly the defect is and how to fix it at this point? When the K-5 had the sensor stain issue it was determined what was causing it and could be replaced. So far I haven't heard what the cause of the defect is and how they are fixing it the K-3II.
07-16-2015, 08:01 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

The Service Advisory from Ricoh/Pentax was pretty clear about which cameras are affected - they listed the serial numbers. The German advisory said that the problem is caused by the camera being without a battery for a prolonged period. This has been discussed extensively on the forum.
07-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #28

Has anyone who returned theirs to B&H get a replacement that has a higher serial number than the defective lot? I'm just wondering if B&H has only the lower serial numbered cameras or if they actually have non-defective ones. It looks like Amazon has new cameras that would be non-defective but it's hard to know for sure.
07-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
After spending about 30 minutes on the phone with B&H customer service, they said that all stock currently on hand is not affected by the service advisory, validating the below:

QuoteOriginally posted by Chuck-B&H Quote
Hello;

I am very sorry for the delay in responding but wanted to make sure I had accurate information. First off, there is no "re-call" on the K-3 II; it's an excellent camera and continues to sell well. The service advisory is outlined below. I asked a warehouse supervisor to confirm that none of our K-3 II's in inventory are within the serial numbers "below #6206660" and am happy to tell you you can purchase from B&H with confidence.

I apologize for the long delay and I hope this helps.

C h u c k C a p r i o l a
Live Chat and E-Mail Sales Manager
B&H Photo-Video
B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders

Thank you for choosing B&H, we appreciate your business.

*** Peace on Earth ***

July 10, 2015

Dear Valued Partner:

At Ricoh, we are dedicated to delivering superior technology, quality products and unyielding customer service. Continuing this commitment, we are sharing the attached notification regarding the PENTAX K-3 II camera.

We’ve learned that in some situations the camera will not turn off, even after the power lever is moved to the OFF position. This anomaly is limited to cameras with a serial number below #6206660.

We will replace all applicable K-3II units which are in your possession with new K-3II units which will be shipped from now on. To accomplish the inventory swap, please request an RMA of Sales and provide a PO for the replacements at the same time
- The RMA should be for K-3II cameras only (do not include other models in this RMA)
- The RMA information must include the serial numbers within the applicable range only
- The return reason should state K-3 II replacement

In advance, thank you for your help in making this a seamless process for our customers, so together we can provide the highest level of service and support.

Sincerely,

Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation
However, the customer service representative on the phone did not have access to information about when the last shipment arrived, even though this information was available to the person handling returns the last time I was at B&H (in person). If anyone is able to get a new, unaffected unit, please let us know. I have been trying to exchange mine for a while and really hope new stock is available. Thanks.

—DragonLord
07-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #30

I returned my K3II to B&H. On Friday B&H shipped me a new K3II. I live in Calif and it's scheduled to be delivered this coming Wednesday. I won't know until Wednesday if if it's good stock or affected stock. I'll post either way.