Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
glee46's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North of San Francisco, California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 596
Here we go again.

B&H said 6 days ago,

"I asked a warehouse supervisor to confirm that none of our K-3 II's in inventory are within the serial numbers "below #6206660" and am happy to tell you you can purchase from B&H with confidence."

This morning I get a message from B&H saying,

"Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing what the serial number is for an item until it has actually shipped. I have set up your return for a refund to the original form of payment, which will be issued once we receive the camera back."

At this point, I have $2,700 on my CC. If I purchase another one, it will hit over $3,600. I know, I'll get my money back on 3 of them, but here I am at a month into this and still have a K-3II with this issue. I'm going to give them a call this morning and see if I can work something out. If not, I only have Adorama left to purchase a K-3II or just forget about it.

07-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
glee46's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North of San Francisco, California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 596
Number 4 On Its Way

Well, here we go again. I ordered my 4th K-3II today. I talked with B&H and they said they checked the inventory and it was clean of the serial numbers with the issues. If this one goes South, I think it's a sign that the Camera Gods are plotting against me.
07-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #48
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 312
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Well, here we go again. I ordered my 4th K-3II today. I talked with B&H and they said they checked the inventory and it was clean of the serial numbers with the issues. If this one goes South, I think it's a sign that the Camera Gods are plotting against me.

Good luck. I feel your pain. I ordered a new K-50 a little over a month ago and it was defective. No probelems returning it to Adorama, but I was without it for a week and a day. I can't imagine going thru what you have. I'd have no hair left.
07-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
glee46's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North of San Francisco, California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 596
I Spoke To Soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by th1952 Quote
Good luck. I feel your pain. I ordered a new K-50 a little over a month ago and it was defective. No probelems returning it to Adorama, but I was without it for a week and a day. I can't imagine going thru what you have. I'd have no hair left.
Well, I spoke to soon. I got notified that they are not going to send any out until the inventory has been flushed clean of the K-3II with those with the issue. They said it might take a few weeks. My Credit Card was charged another $935.24 because they were sending it out today. Anyone want to buy a Ghost K-3II for $3,740.96. I'll send you a 8x10 glossy of it, cause that's about all I have left to look at, at the end of the day.

I'll wait 2 weeks, after that I'm just going to have to give up on it for now. Too many hours spent calling, emailing and driving to the UPS store to return these K-3II.

07-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
bwDraco's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,015
Sadly, at the advice of B&H customer service, I've had to return my K-3 II for refund. The representative was in touch with the buyer in the warehouse, who said that it would be another two weeks or so before a new shipment arrives. I'll have to buy another one when a new shipment comes. As advised by the service rep, I've kept the old receipts, which point to a long record of customer service conversations detailing the issue, so that if the price goes up, they can honor the lower price I originally had.

I'll be shooting my K-5 for the time being.

—DragonLord
07-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
glee46's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North of San Francisco, California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 596
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Sadly, at the advice of B&H customer service, I've had to return my K-3 II for refund. The representative was in touch with the buyer in the warehouse, who said that it would be another two weeks or so before a new shipment arrives. I'll have to buy another one when a new shipment comes. As advised by the service rep, I've kept the old receipts, which point to a long record of customer service conversations detailing the issue, so that if the price goes up, they can honor the lower price I originally had.

I'll be shooting my K-5 for the time being.

—DragonLord
My Credit card has already been charged for the one I purchased today from them. I had one of the charges taken off about an hour ago. So, now I have an 8x10 glossy of a K-3II worth $2,805.72.

Who knows, by the time they get in a new stock, the price might be even lower. And as well, most of these going back will end by being sold for a reduced price down the line. If I had a clearer vision of when the FF is coming out from Pentax, I might just drop this all together.
07-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #52
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,009
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I really hope that all defective New K3II cameras get factory refurbished and get one at high discount on Blackfriday o boxingday....
That would be nice for us without a K-3II but really frustrating for those willing to pay the cutting edge tax today to have to suffer through the 'teething' pains for us.. Plus, I suspect there are a ton of K-3 classic bodies still unsold... so maybe not this BF for the K-3II

That said, the hoops you guys are having to go through to get a working camera is incredible.. if it were me (and it was possible) I'd return it for a refund, wait a month solid, and try again. But I have a backup body.. I understand some don't..

hope Ricoh sorts this out WELL before the FF body comes around.. because the photo world will be watching then.
07-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Shanti's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 904
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_XL Quote
I sent my K3 II to the german rep-partner in Hamburg. They received it last Friday. I got the cam back yesterday after 4 working days - great. They report to have repaired the mainboard and put a new Flu Card into the box to compensate me for my inconvenience and the mailing expenses.
and the Dutch Ricoh says my #(within the range) is not affected?? but will be fixed under the 2yr warranty if problems arise--wonder if EU models are different than US/Asia ones

07-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
glee46's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North of San Francisco, California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 596
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That said, the hoops you guys are having to go through to get a working camera is incredible.. if it were me (and it was possible) I'd return it for a refund, wait a month solid, and try again. But I have a backup body.. I understand some don't..
I have both a K-20 & K-5, and both work great. Never a problem with either of them. I guess if I was married, I could use the "Won't shut off" Issue to my advantage.

"Sorry honey. I can't make it to your parents dinner party. I have to keep shooting because the camera won't turn off"
07-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #55
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 119
Another bad serial number

I just received my second K-3II from B&H. The serial number is below the specified "safe" number. I haven't even taken it out of the box. I'm debating whether to try it or just return it unopened.
07-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,687
I have had 3 K-3iis in quick succession. Each worked perfectly but I returned the first two hoping for an unaffected SN - hasn't happened. I used GPS constantly often with logging. I intentionally tried as many settings and functions as I could on all of the cameras. Each has worked precisely as advertised. I do not dispute that there have been a few with serious problems and it is clearly a PR disaster for Pentax but I like the camera so much that I think I will just get an extended warranty on this last one and be done with it. If the problem pops up I will get it fixed. Apparently B&H will not have clean stock for awhile. I have 30 days to return to Amazon so I will give this one a work out and unless if fails I will get the extended warranty.
07-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #57
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Antelope Valley, Ca
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33
Jool,

Same thing happen to me. I didn't bother to open the box. I called B&H, obtained and RMA (this time for a refund) and it was back at UPS. I went else where to buy the K3II. I wanted a vendor that would work with me and verify the K3II wasn't on recall. Now I'm waiting for my refund from B&H and I've already ordered a non-defective K3II.
07-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #58
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,347
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I have had 3 K-3iis in quick succession. Each worked perfectly but I returned the first two hoping for an unaffected SN - hasn't happened. I used GPS constantly often with logging. I intentionally tried as many settings and functions as I could on all of the cameras. Each has worked precisely as advertised. I do not dispute that there have been a few with serious problems and it is clearly a PR disaster for Pentax but I like the camera so much that I think I will just get an extended warranty on this last one and be done with it. If the problem pops up I will get it fixed. Apparently B&H will not have clean stock for awhile. I have 30 days to return to Amazon so I will give this one a work out and unless if fails I will get the extended warranty.
That is my tact...except that I didn't bother with the extended warranty. I figured that if this problem doesn't pop up within a year (which is the manufacturers warranty), then I could be relatively assured that it really isn't effected.
07-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
glee46's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North of San Francisco, California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 596
New K-3II?

On B&H website, for the K-3II, it says.

New Item - Coming Soon
Ship Time: Not available

I'm pretty sure it means new K-3II's without the hick-up. Of the 3 K-3II, I received, 2 of them had major shut off problems. The 3rd would go off, but it would hang for about 10 seconds.
07-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,687
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Of the 3 K-3II, I received, 2 of them had major shut off problems. The 3rd would go off, but it would hang for about 10 seconds.

I think this is the key. Some people have had the problem soon and severely. Others of us have seen not problems at all. My first copy, which I now think I should have just kept, had over a thousand shots taken and uncounted on and off sequences. There have been reports about the German Pentax looking at cameras and declaring them unaffected. The reports I have seen have seemed to imply that no repair was necessary, the facility tested the camera and found it ok. That is basically what US Ricoh/Pentax advised in its advisory. I am happy to do my own use-testing and get it fixed if a problem should show up. It is a fine camera. Anyway my sympathy to those who have had problems.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
advisory, camera, facility, repair, reports, ricoh/pentax, sympathy
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K-30 16.3 MP Digital SLR Camera Body Only zuzuman Sold Items 2 04-15-2015 03:15 PM
Pentax K-3 23.4 MP Digital SLR Camera for US $659.99 Patriot Pentax Price Watch 8 02-14-2015 03:33 PM
PENTAX K-3 Digital SLR Camera Wins “EISA European Advanced DSLR Camera 2014-2015” Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 4 08-14-2014 11:25 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K-3 24MP Digital SLR Camera Black - BODY ONLY brosen Sold Items 2 05-03-2014 12:18 PM
769$ Pentax K-5 Weatherproof 16.3 MP Digital SLR Camera 18-55mm WR Kit konraDarnok Pentax Price Watch 3 07-19-2013 01:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top