Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #61

Photos: Albums
I bought my camera from a dealer in Berlin end of june; after almost 2000 photos and using gps as well, although the serial number is listed as defected, so far I had no shutting off delay etc, all works like a clock.

Since I live in Turkey, the local dealer simply didn't want to help me about this; do you guys think, whether I should take the camera to a service in Germany, even I didn't have any failures so far?

07-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

I just sent back my second K-3II to B&H. I didn't even open the second one because the invoice indicated a serial number within the "defective" lot. I can't believe they would send that out. Anyway, even if it did work okay I didn't want to spend the next year wondering if it would start acting up. I will get a refund and then buy another one. B&H site says they are getting new ones so I might buy from them again. Has anyone purchased one from Adorama? I'm wondering who has "good" stock.
07-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3II Back in Stock at B&H

They are back and all clean this time. Mine is on the way.
07-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

I did see that they are in stock but how do we know they are okay? Did someone from B&H tell you that?

07-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I did see that they are in stock but how do we know they are okay? Did someone from B&H tell you that?
I had a number of people tell me. They also checked and double checked. It will be here tomorrow. I'll be sure to post it here and let ya know.
07-30-2015, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

I talked to the manager from romanian official Pentax store and he said that if my camera is working without any problems then I shouldn't be worried that my camera is in that serial number range (the one with problems). I have the camera from 2 month and after more then 4.000 shots I had no issue with it.

The dealer is going to release a certificate to guarantee me that if the problem will appear after the the warranty will expire, they will fix it for free.
It is ok for me, especially because I don't want to wait 3-4 weeks until the camera will return from their inspection.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 07-30-2015 at 01:00 AM.
07-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #67

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I talk to the manager from romanian official Pentax store and he said that if my camera is working without any problems then I shouldn't be worried that my camera is in that serial number range (the one with problems). I have the camera from 2 month and after more then 4.000 shots I had no issue with it.

The dealer is going to release a certificate to guarantee me that if the problem will appear after the the warranty will expire, they will fix it for free.
It is ok for me, especially because I don't want to wait 3-4 weeks until the camera will return from their inspection.

Thanks for the feedback; I think the same, I will wait until I have that problem. So far nothing shows up.
07-30-2015, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #68

Photos: Gallery
I just opened up the box for my K3II. I returned to K3II's to B&H and asked for a refund. I bought the camera elsewhere! Yep, the serial number is NOT affected by the recall, this is AWESOME. Let the games begin.

07-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

I just sent back my second K-3II to B&H. I didn't even open the second one because the invoice indicated a serial number within the "defective" lot. I can't believe they would send that out. Anyway, even if it did work okay I didn't want to spend the next year wondering if it would start acting up. I will get a refund and then buy another one. B&H site says they are getting new ones so I might buy from them again. Has anyone purchased one from Adorama? I'm wondering who has "good" stock.
I asked Adorama and they claim they have no way of knowing if their stock contains the suspect numbers. B&H suspended sales for awhile about a week ago. When they resumed I think most of us thought they had solved the issue. Henryp who speaks for B&H on PF says their stock is clean now. I would not trust Adorama because it appears they have done nothing about the advisory. I asked one of the dealers on Amazon who is a Pentax dealer and they said that their stock still contains cameras under the advisory number. Buyer beware but the cameras are often just fine.
07-30-2015, 03:51 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H Clean of Issues

I just got my 4th K-3II. (2 Amazon, 2 B&H) This one from B&H has a serial number of 621260729xxxx. This one doesn't have the shut off issue at all. This one is new as well as I checked the shutter count and it was 2.
07-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Has anyone outlined a reproducible series of steps to get a camera with this condition to lock up?

I have had my K-3 II for roughly a month and a half -- about 1500 shots -- and I haven't had any lockups that required battery removal, although my serial number IS in the potentially affected group. Twice I have had it hesitate to shut down for a few seconds, and after noticing I turned it back on, half-pressed the shutter button, noted that it was still responding properly, and then shut it off again successfully.

I'm gathering from most posts that this problem is pretty obvious when it occurs and thus I might not be affected. Has anyone had a more subtle or less frequent manifestation?
07-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

glee46 - That's good to hear about your camera from B&H. I have another one in my cart but was waiting to see what you ended up with. My other one should be back to them by tomorrow. I'm also thinking of getting the 1.4x teleconverter so I might order at the same time. They say it's $100 off thru July. Not sure if it will go up in price after that.
How do you check the shutter count?
07-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

glee46 - That's good to hear about your camera from B&H. I have another one in my cart but was waiting to see what you ended up with. My other one should be back to them by tomorrow. I'm also thinking of getting the 1.4x teleconverter so I might order at the same time. They say it's $100 off thru July. Not sure if it will go up in price after that.
How do you check the shutter count?
I'm sure they will honor the price due to the mix up.

Here are two sites that I use:
Check shutter count online - My Shutter Count.com and ShutterCounter.com - Online check DSLR shutter count and EXIF info (?????EXIF??)

Just take a pic "jpeg" and upload. It will give you the shutter count. Pentax Forums has one as well, but I forget where it's located.

Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by glee46; 08-01-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Grammar
08-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #74

PENTAX K-3 II Digital SLR Camera ‘Power-Off’ Notice

well - got mine end of last may (2015) , must have been amongst the first lot shipped to France , serial number amongst the possibly problem ones - but so far so good ; I suppose that , if it is to happen , it does straight away ? or am I wrong ? anyway I've got it with a 4-years warranty , so ...
08-03-2015, 07:10 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

Just ordered my third K-3II from B&H and will get it on Thursday. I hope this is the end of the bad lot of cameras and I get a good serial number this time. And of course nothing else is wrong with it.