Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX K-3 II Digital SLR Camera ‘Power-Off’ Notice

News update from the official Pentax website:

DENVER, CO, July 9, 2015 – At Ricoh, we are dedicated to delivering superior technology, quality products and unyielding customer service. Continuing this commitment, we are contacting PENTAX K-3 II camera owners, as we’ve learned that in some situations the camera will not turn off, even after the power lever is moved to the OFF position. This anomaly is limited to cameras with a serial number...

Pentax news announcement: http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/about/press/355

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Hmmm, I have one with a serial number that's in the affected group (6184xxx) but I don't THINK I have seen this problem. There was one time it refused to turn off for five or ten seconds, then it did. But that was only once, and it doesn't sound like the same experience Adam (and others) described in the other thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/297794-k-3-ii-refusing-shut-down.html

I wonder if I should just hold on and see what happens. If I send it for service it may be gone for who-knows-how-long-and-a-half.
07-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

My Number is there as well

I just got this K-3II 5 days ago. It was the 1st thing I noticed. Mine will stay on for at least a minute or more after I turn it off. It you even tap the shutter, it powers the camera back on, while on the setting are still set to off. I just want to make sure that they will pay for the shipping since I've only had it for several days. I don't want to return it and do the whole RMA thing. I'll be on the phone with them in the a.m. to get all the facts.

Anyway, thanks Adam. I never would have saw that without the heads up here.
07-10-2015, 02:27 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I just got this K-3II 5 days ago. It was the 1st thing I noticed. Mine will stay on for at least a minute or more after I turn it off. It you even tap the shutter, it powers the camera back on, while on the setting are still set to off. I just want to make sure that they will pay for the shipping since I've only had it for several days. I don't want to return it and do the whole RMA thing. I'll be on the phone with them in the a.m. to get all the facts.

Anyway, thanks Adam. I never would have saw that without the heads up here.
I would expect Pentax to pay the shipping if you decide to have the camera serviced. If you bought from B&H or Adorama and the product is defective, they should also cover the difference for you should you decide to do a return/exchange.

Since Pentax is offering to service bodies that don't exhibit the issue, I would strongly recommend taking advantage of their offer. You guys could also try to get an exchange and hope for a healthy serial number.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-10-2015, 05:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Same notice on the Ricoh web sites in Europe, only without the phone number. I'm contacting my local store to see how to proceed.

I'm in a dilemma though: my K-3II doesn't have the problem, but does have a serial number in the range (617****) so I'm thinking it would be best to have it checked? Trouble is the summer is *the* season during which I use my camera most, and right after that there's my annual multi-week trip (African safari this year). I wouldn't like to be without camera long. OTOH, I still haven't sold my K-3, but I have already reset it to factory settings and packed it up in its box ready for sale...

Hence my question: I see in the text that the problem would occur after "long" periods without battery in the camera. I always have a battery in the camera (I have 3 spare batteries), so it seems normal I haven't experienced the problem, and I probably won't as such. But are we sure the risk is limited to that? Did K-3II owners note the problem in other situations than the one quoted?

Looking forward to your feedback...

kr, Wim
07-10-2015, 05:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I appreciate this. Thanks Ricoh, I hope I won't have problems here when I get one.
07-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #7

I have a bad serial number

I checked today and I have a serial number (6193387) that is considered to be in the defective lot. It seems slower to power up/down than my K-5, but I haven't had it not power down. I haven't used it much and it's only been with the basic functions - no GPS and so forth. Is there a way I can test this camera? Are there certain settings, functions that cause it not to turn off? Now I'm panicking.
07-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I Gave them a call

I talked with Paul from CS at Pentax. He told me to just exchange it back to the dealer.

He informed me, the issue affects a large number of cameras. The turn around could be up to 3 to 4 weeks. I'm sending mine back today and hope I get one without the problem.

I was surprised when he told me the work around. "Take the battery out, and then put it back in" With a battery grip on my K-3II, I don't think that's a great work around. I'm confident they will fix all and I know issues affect most cameras today.

07-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I'm just a few days past the 30-day limit on returns at Adorama. Feh.
07-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Ugh, this kinda sucks.
Mine wouldn't power off, so I sent it back to B&H. I should be getting a replacement on Tuesday. That means for me, I have been without a camera for 2 weeks.
If the replacement B&H sends me falls within that serial # range (seems likely), it could be another 4 weeks!

Nope, not happy at all!
07-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #11

Greets!

My K-3 II so far without the reported issues. Nevertheles, I have checked how different Ricoh-Pentax international sites inform users of the issues presented.

The U.S. site recomends the imediate return of the aforementioned serial numbers, the "European" site only recomends to check the presumably affected serial numbers at the local Pentax service free of charge, as for example the Austrian site (Fehlfunktion bei dem Kameramodell PENTAX K-3 II - RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH) suggests to send in the cameras only after or if the issues arise (and implies that the issues arise after a long absence of using the camera). Moreover they even said that they will be fixed free of charge even after the Warranty period...this is not all, they will also throw in a free FLUCARD (if my basic German translation was correct; if not, please correct me).

Well, will use the camera and if the issue comes to light, I will send it in for service (well, in Slovenia where they will hopefully follow the Austrian example of adressing the issue).

Marko
07-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I was surprised when he told me the work around. "Take the battery out, and then put it back in"
We've been doing that for years on all the previous bodies that froze for one reason or other.
07-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #13

I just received my K3II on Wednesday of the week. This morning I read the Pentax notice and checked my serial number. Yep, I have one that has to be sent back. I called B&H and they issued an RMA. While on the phone I asked the Rep if, prior to sending me a new camera if they could verify that it doesn't have one of the serial numbers listed on the Pentax news letter. The B&H rep said there is no way they can do that. I asked I could speak to a superior and the rep said that won't do any good either. (Now my blood pressure is beginning to rise). I said, so if I understand you correctly you could possibly send me another camera that falls within those serial numbers Pentax is recalling, is that correct? The Rep said, yep. Then the rep said not until we receive notice from the manufacture will we pull the affected stock. I suggested to the Rep, you should contact Pentax immediately to address the issue and establish a corrective action plan. Nope, Rep can't do that either. So, I'm hoping B&H will pull there affected stock in the next five days, so my replacement camera will be a good one. That's All Folk's
07-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scooterpilot Quote
I asked I could speak to a superior and the rep said that won't do any good either.
The rep was probably afraid to get scolded by a superior !!
07-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I spoke to B&H today and was told that they are returning all of their stock and will not be able to ship until they receive fresh unaffected cameras. They still list it on their site. He told me this after checking with a supervisor.