Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2008, 04:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

UK - Pentax UK adds cashback offers

EDIT - UPDATE #2 - 9th November

UK cashback is back!

This time on bodies with any lens and lenses alone! It get's better and cheaper all the time.

(Note, not on bodies only and not all lenses)

Details here, please read carefully PHOTO - PENTAX U.K. Limited

Last edited by Richard Day; 11-09-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: New UK cashback details
06-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The USA and now the UK. I wonder about the rest of us? Looking at the forum as a small snap shot, there are plenty of Ca, Au and other European Pentax shooters out there. Ned you reading this?
06-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Inactive Account

when will these rebates come in romania,italy,germany or so?
06-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi all

QuoteQuote:
Pentax UK are now offering 50 cashback on the K200D and 100 cashback on the K20D cameras when bought with a Pentax lens. The lens can be of your own choice and must be purchased at the same time through an official Pentax UK dealer.
Well, whoopededoo !!......and NOT BEFORE BL**DY TIME either ! Most British consumers have been all-too-painfully aware that our cousins 'across the pond' in the USA have been benefiting financially from similar rebate schemes, seemingly for decades. Believe me, I don't intend complaining about the latest news. It's just that the cynic in me can't help wondering whether this type of generosity would not have been forthcoming, until the uncomfortable reality of a major recession finally started to make itself felt at Boardroom level ? Even taking into account these rebates, retail prices in the UK are STILL way in excess of US prices, so a lot hasn't changed really. I suppose it's a small step in the right direction and I only hope that similar rebates will soon apply to European, Canadian & Australian consumers as well ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-21-2008 at 06:31 PM.
06-22-2008, 03:04 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi all

Well, whoopededoo !!......and NOT BEFORE BL**DY TIME either ! Most British consumers have been all-too-painfully aware that our cousins 'across the pond' in the USA have been benefiting financially from similar rebate schemes, seemingly for decades. Believe me, I don't intend complaining about the latest news. It's just that the cynic in me can't help wondering whether this type of generosity would not have been forthcoming, until the uncomfortable reality of a major recession finally started to make itself felt at Boardroom level ? Even taking into account these rebates, retail prices in the UK are STILL way in excess of US prices, so a lot hasn't changed really. I suppose it's a small step in the right direction and I only hope that similar rebates will soon apply to European, Canadian & Australian consumers as well ?

Best regards
Richard
US prices are not way below UK prices. US retail pricing doesn't include taxes, ours does. If you add 17.5% to US prices you will see that in some instances the UK is cheaper.
06-22-2008, 04:35 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
US prices are not way below UK prices. US retail pricing doesn't include taxes, ours does. If you add 17.5% to US prices you will see that in some instances the UK is cheaper.
Why would you add 17.5% to the US prices ? AFAIK people in most states pay the price what you see online. I know that people in NY for eg. pay something extra as tax. Americans on this forum can provide more information on different taxation in different states.

Bottom line, prices in US definitely are way cheap if bought in non-taxable states..

Cheers
Nish
06-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Hi Richard (Day)

This obviously sounds like it's going to be a full-on 'Richard vs Richard' debate......lol ! I am fully aware that this subject has cropped-up on numerous previous occasions, but I'd like start by saying that usually I have the greatest respect for the views that you express on photographic matters. However, I'm afraid I have to take issue with your sweeping generalisation that:

QuoteQuote:
US prices are not way below UK prices.
Clearly there are numerous variables involved when attempting to compare like-for-like retail prices between different continents, as far as currency exchange rates/local taxation/import duties/wages/international - national warranties etc are concerned.
Incidentally, I should be most interested if you would be willing to supply recent evidence to support your claims that:

QuoteQuote:
If you add 17.5% to US prices you will see that in some instances the UK is cheaper.
All I can say is it has been my regrettable experience (as well as many others, I might add) that as the U.S. dollar has weakened markedly against the sterling over the past few years, the gap between what retail customers have been charged for identical goods in the USA & Great Britain has indeed widened. As a case in point, I distinctly remember when I first became seriously interested in purchasing a Pentax K10D last spring and enquired about the cost of obtaining a D-BG 2 battery grip. I was genuinely shocked and horrified that U.K. stores were demanding the princely sum of 199.99 for it ! However, a quick search on the internet soon revealed that U.S. stores were selling the identical item over-the-counter for only $150.00 or about 75.00. To add extra insult to injury, they were even offering additional rebates which reduced the price even further, making it cheaper still for America buyers. I'm prepared to hazard a guess that canny U.K. Pentax photographers soon realised that they could purchase this particular accessory online from the 'States' at just over half the price including taxes, FORCING British wholesalers to reconsider their pricing strategy, or face losing a sizeable chunk of revenue to overseas suppliers. It was this price-drop which enabled me to secure my battery-grip from a U.K. dealer for a more modest 99.00 or approx $200.00 ! Admittedly, at the time there was no possibility of a rebate in England, but with the savings that I'd made, I was able to purchase additional items such as spare batteries and a carrying case, thus keeping my supplier happy ! I am not singling out the photographic manufacturers for undue chastisement, but am simply asking for a 'level playing field' where retail pricing is concerned. This market sector is no different from any other type and manufacturers/wholesalers had better wake up to the fact that they can no longer expect to get away with screwing excessive profits from traditional markets. As a final adjunct, I'd like to pose this simple question:

Q: If a Chrysler 300C auto-mobile is marked up at sticker-price of only $20,000.00 (10,000.00) in the USA, how come it magically increases to $52,000.00 (26,000.00) by the time it arrives on these shores ?

A: Because plenty of British customers obviously relish the prospect of paying 'through-the-nose' for imported products and are apparently congenitally stupid !

Best regards
Richard (the other one !)

Last edited by Confused; 06-23-2008 at 05:18 PM.
06-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Richard (Day)

This obviously sounds like it's going to be a full-on 'Richard vs Richard' debate......lol ! I am fully aware that this subject has cropped-up on numerous previous occasions, but I'd like start by saying that usually I have the greatest respect for the views that you express on photographic matters. However, I'm afraid I have to take issue with your sweeping generalisation that:

Clearly there are numerous variables involved when attempting to compare like-for-like retail prices between different continents, as far as currency exchange rates/local taxation/import duties/wages/international - national warranties etc are concerned.
Incidentally, I should be most interested if you would be willing to supply recent evidence to support your claims that:

All I can say is it has been my regrettable experience (as well as many others, I might add) that as the U.S. dollar has weakened markedly against the sterling over the past few years, the gap between what retail customers have been charged for identical goods in the USA & Great Britain has indeed widened. As a case in point, I distinctly remember when I first became seriously interested in purchasing a Pentax K10D last spring and enquired about the cost of obtaining a D-BG 2 battery grip. I was genuinely shocked and horrified that U.K. stores were demanding the princely sum of 199.99 for it ! However, a quick search on the internet soon revealed that U.S. stores were selling the identical item over-the-counter for only $100.00 or about 50.00. To add extra insult to injury, they were even offering additional rebates which reduced the price even further, making it cheaper still for America buyers. I'm prepared to hazard a guess that canny U.K. Pentax photographers soon realised that they could purchase this particular accessory online from the 'States' at just over half the price including taxes, FORCING British wholesalers to reconsider their pricing strategy, or face losing a sizeable chunk of revenue to overseas suppliers. It was this price-drop which enabled me to secure my battery-grip from a U.K. dealer for a more modest 99.00 ! Admittedly, at the time there was no possibility of a rebate in England, but with the savings that I'd made, I was able to purchase additional items such as spare batteries and a carrying case, thus keeping my supplier happy ! I am not singling out the photographic manufacturers for undue chastisement, but am simply asking for a 'level playing field' where retail pricing is concerned. This market sector is no different from any other type and manufacturers/wholesalers had better wake up to the fact that they can no longer expect to get away with screwing excessive profits from traditional markets. As a final adjunct, I'd like to pose this simple question:

Q: If a Chrysler 300C auto-mobile is marked up at sticker-price of only $20,000.00 (10,000.00) in the USA, how come it magically increases to $52,000.00 (26,000.00) by the time it arrives on these shores ?

A: Because plenty of British customers obviously relish the prospect of paying 'through-the-nose' for imported products and are apparently congenitally stupid !

Best regards
Richard (the other one !)
I wasn't expecting the price comparison extending to Chrysler cars! I was limiting my comments purely to Pentax items. As far as many other items are concerned, I agree there are some significant differences that cannot be explained away that readily!

Getting back to Pentax items. While I understand that some people in the USA tax dodge, it isn't possible (or legal) for us here in the UK and Europe, so I cannot see how Pentax is doing any ripping off, or can enforce a change in our tax laws! I really don't want to enter into a political discussion either, as it's way off topic!

I also would rather talk about today, as yesterday is a done deal! In the past when prices were disparagingly different, I was a dissenting voice.

Today, one can find examples (Pentax) either way.

A K20D body in the USA is $1119.95 at B&H, approx 570, add 17.5% VAT and you get 670, SRS and others are selling it for 679 - Wow 7 more!

The DA 35 macro at B&H is $599.95, approx 305, add VAT, you get 359, it's available here for 265. That's 96 LESS!

DA 55-300 is $399.95, approx 203, add VAT, you get 239, from Bristol Cameras 219, that's 20 less.

DA 12-24, $719.95, approx 365, add VAT, you get 429, UK price is around 460, 31 more.

DA*300, $1299.95, 659, add VAT, you get 775, UK price is around 799, 24 more.

I think that shows that nowadays we are not paying prices that are much different from our US friends. Personally I'm satisfied that the prices have now pretty much levelled out.

Being a professional tightwad, I'd still like to pay less though!

06-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, it's hard to believe this also includes the Republic of Ireland, though the document is clear in specifying the euro amounts.

Why is this hard to believe? Because there's only one official dealer in the whole country. I guess everyone wanting to get in on this deal had better go to Conn's in Dublin. The price would be €1200 - 120 = €1080 for the K20D kit.

Unless anyone knows of another official Pentax dealer in Ireland?
06-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Hi again Richard (Day)

I just remembered that the cost for the D-BG 2 battery grip in the U.S.A. at the time was about $150.00, not $100.00....ooops ! (previous post now amended) Needless to say, your price comparisons make interesting reading, as there's no overall consistency either way.....what you appear to lose on the roundabouts, you seem to gain on the swings......lol ! Anyhow, I shall be visiting the US on vacation later this year and intend to take full advantage of any price discrepancies in my favour !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-23-2008 at 05:20 PM.
06-23-2008, 03:18 AM   #11

I bought a 31mm Limited, landed here for 460 in total, UK price (SRS) 699, the savings are definately there!

On a different note that has not been mentioned, the 100 rebate has coincided with a price increase in the UK. K20D bundles with kit MKII lenses were available for 699 (you need to buy a lens at the same time to qualify for the cashback) before the announcement, which have now risen to 749 upwards after the announcement!

I'll let you draw your own conclusions!
06-23-2008, 03:54 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Hi Unlocker

QuoteQuote:
I bought a 31mm Limited, landed here for 460 in total, UK price (SRS) 699, the savings are definitely there!
My point entirely and so the pendulum begins to swing the other way again.......!

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-23-2008 at 04:25 AM.
06-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unlocker Quote
I bought a 31mm Limited, landed here for 460 in total, UK price (SRS) 699, the savings are definately there!

On a different note that has not been mentioned, the 100 rebate has coincided with a price increase in the UK. K20D bundles with kit MKII lenses were available for 699 (you need to buy a lens at the same time to qualify for the cashback) before the announcement, which have now risen to 749 upwards after the announcement!

I'll let you draw your own conclusions!
Yep, it seems we are still being tickled in some areas.

Oh well, you pays yer money and takes yer choice!

Personally I'd pay up to a max of 10% extra to have local redress, over that I'd shop around, Europe first and then USA as long as I get international warranty.
09-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I was tempted by the cashback offers until I noticed that they came about equal to the going EU rate in euros anyway. Now, after waiting, the prices in the UK have plummeted to an even better deal. SRS have the K20D kit with lens at 595.

And after Photokina?