Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax Full Frame to Support All K-mount Lenses

The Pentax Full Frame DSLR will support all Pentax K-mount lenses, including crop lenses and legacy film lenses.

Read more on the PF homepage...

12-12-2015, 01:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That will come as no surprise to any Pentaxian, but I guess it may get some welcome traction among users of other brands.

If they see it....
12-12-2015, 03:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There's been references to 'crop mode' around for some time, including from Ricoh execs keen to keep existing aps-c users interested. What will be interesting is whether the mode is fully automatic or if there will be a user manual control ....I hope so as it is likely that some good lenses may project an image that falls between the full frame and aps-c sizes and it may well be worthwhile to capture all of it and crop in post.
12-12-2015, 03:24 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
What will be interesting is whether the mode is fully automatic or if there will be a user manual control ....I hope so as it is likely that some good lenses may project an image that falls between the full frame and aps-c sizes and it may well be worthwhile to capture all of it and crop in post.
Sounds selectable when reading the official announcement:

QuoteQuote:
As for the APS-C-size image sensor, the DA lens series, the cropping function makes it possible to use the APS-C-size center portion of an image. By changing the settings, you can also choose a 35mm full-frame angle of view.

12-12-2015, 03:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
There's been references to 'crop mode' around for some time, including from Ricoh execs keen to keep existing aps-c users interested. What will be interesting is whether the mode is fully automatic or if there will be a user manual control ....I hope so as it is likely that some good lenses may project an image that falls between the full frame and aps-c sizes and it may well be worthwhile to capture all of it and crop in post.
I never understood the obsession with Crop Mode. If it were optimised for every lens it would be hopelessly complicated - for instance, in my limited testing the DA 35 limited covers FF at close focus but not at infinity, while the DA*50-135, DA*16-50, DA15 and DA21 are no good under any circumstance.

Why not just crop in PP if a lens doesn't quite cover 36x24, or keep an APS-C body for those lenses which are nowhere near the mark?
12-12-2015, 03:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I never understood the obsession with Crop Mode. If it were optimised for every lens it would be hopelessly complicated - for instance, in my limited testing the DA 35 limited covers FF at close focus but not at infinity, while the DA*50-135, DA*16-50, DA15 and DA21 are no good under any circumstance.

Why not just crop in PP if a lens doesn't quite cover 36x24, or keep an APS-C body for those lenses which are nowhere near the mark?
I will plan to keep a couple of APS-C bodies. For things like telephoto situations or macro shots, APS-C is at least as good as full frame (unless you have super expensive lenses) and for family snap shots, full frame is probably over kill.

Most of my lenses are either/or lenses. The DA 15/DA 16-50/DA 50-135 are APS-C only lenses. It isn't as though they are going to even cover APS-H. On the other hand, lenses like the DA *55 and DA 40 are pretty decent on film and may just have some vignetting that could be touched up in post if desired. I think the DA 35 limited and DA 70 limited probably will benefit from a little cropping in post or camera.

I guess the thing is some people want to do everything in camera and not have to do any work after the fact. But I would guess that more full frame purchasers would be people who would tend to be OK with post processing their images.
12-12-2015, 03:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would guess that more full frame purchasers would be people who would tend to be OK with post processing their images.
Exactly!

12-12-2015, 04:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

I'm anxious about how Ricoh maps the crop modes to storage formats. Will they offer different raw formats for FF and APS-C? If they do so, it will have impact on file sizes and maybe image burst rate.

If they only generate the crop for jpegs based on the FF raw (like in camera color filters etc.), everybody who works with raw files has to do the job in post - like today.
12-12-2015, 04:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The image area you choose won't just have an impact on vignetting.

If you look at Nikon FF, for example, the image area you choose may also impact the AF point coverage (wider coverage with crop), the viewfinder display (cropped area visually greyed out), even the the AF-C frame rate (smaller DX files, faster fps), the live view display, and the video mode options too. It may also have an impact on metering.

So Pentax is, I believe, making it pretty clear that the crop mode behaviour will be totally under user control.

---------- Post added 2015-12-12 at 10:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I'm anxious about how Ricoh maps the crop modes to storage formats. Will they offer different raw formats for FF and APS-C? If they do so, it will have impact on file sizes and maybe image burst rate.
I think everyone should have a look at a Nikon D810 user manual. Pentax FF crop modes will no doubt operate very similarly.
06-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PF Staff Quote
The Pentax Full Frame DSLR will support all Pentax K-mount lenses, including crop lenses and legacy film lenses.
Will there be some reviews about legycy lenses on the K-1 in the future?
Primes would be interesting (FA* 400mm, Sigma 500mm
06-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I suspect that if you go to the lens review section, those who own K-1's will be testing their legacy lenses on it and commenting appropriately. However, I doubt we will see Pentax Forums Staff reviews on all but the most exceptional legacy lenses - they have their hands full enough as it is testing the newer stuff exhaustively.

On a side note, it's fun to dig even a few posts back into this resurrected thread from long back and read all our old suppositions - especially those by forum users who now own the camera - nod wisely (as retrospect always permits) and say "Well, now we know."
06-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, has it really been 18 months sine the k-1 was 'speculation'?
08-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I bet some people would go for, if you guys bring reviews of FA* 300mm 2.8, FA* 400mm 5.6 or even the mighty F* 250-600mm 5.6

SInce the lenses are available to the Staff, it's possible:

Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews
08-21-2017, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
reviews of FA* 300mm 2.8, FA* 400mm 5.6 or even the mighty F* 250-600mm 5.6
Images from all those nice lenses, and more, are of course sampled on the Pentax K-1 Laboratory site.

Would have been nicer if each lens there had MTF charts and other tech data, but it's still useful when looking into older lenses on the K-1
08-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, no F* lens is included in the laboratory.