Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 01:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 444
Pentax Full Frame to Support All K-mount Lenses

The Pentax Full Frame DSLR will support all Pentax K-mount lenses, including crop lenses and legacy film lenses.

Read more on the PF homepage...

12-12-2015, 01:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,245
That will come as no surprise to any Pentaxian, but I guess it may get some welcome traction among users of other brands.

If they see it....
12-12-2015, 03:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian
mcgregni's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 1,497
There's been references to 'crop mode' around for some time, including from Ricoh execs keen to keep existing aps-c users interested. What will be interesting is whether the mode is fully automatic or if there will be a user manual control ....I hope so as it is likely that some good lenses may project an image that falls between the full frame and aps-c sizes and it may well be worthwhile to capture all of it and crop in post.
12-12-2015, 03:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,701
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
What will be interesting is whether the mode is fully automatic or if there will be a user manual control ....I hope so as it is likely that some good lenses may project an image that falls between the full frame and aps-c sizes and it may well be worthwhile to capture all of it and crop in post.
Sounds selectable when reading the official announcement:

QuoteQuote:
As for the APS-C-size image sensor, the DA lens series, the cropping function makes it possible to use the APS-C-size center portion of an image. By changing the settings, you can also choose a 35mm full-frame angle of view.


12-12-2015, 03:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,245
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
There's been references to 'crop mode' around for some time, including from Ricoh execs keen to keep existing aps-c users interested. What will be interesting is whether the mode is fully automatic or if there will be a user manual control ....I hope so as it is likely that some good lenses may project an image that falls between the full frame and aps-c sizes and it may well be worthwhile to capture all of it and crop in post.
I never understood the obsession with Crop Mode. If it were optimised for every lens it would be hopelessly complicated - for instance, in my limited testing the DA 35 limited covers FF at close focus but not at infinity, while the DA*50-135, DA*16-50, DA15 and DA21 are no good under any circumstance.

Why not just crop in PP if a lens doesn't quite cover 36x24, or keep an APS-C body for those lenses which are nowhere near the mark?
12-12-2015, 03:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,938
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I never understood the obsession with Crop Mode. If it were optimised for every lens it would be hopelessly complicated - for instance, in my limited testing the DA 35 limited covers FF at close focus but not at infinity, while the DA*50-135, DA*16-50, DA15 and DA21 are no good under any circumstance.

Why not just crop in PP if a lens doesn't quite cover 36x24, or keep an APS-C body for those lenses which are nowhere near the mark?
I will plan to keep a couple of APS-C bodies. For things like telephoto situations or macro shots, APS-C is at least as good as full frame (unless you have super expensive lenses) and for family snap shots, full frame is probably over kill.

Most of my lenses are either/or lenses. The DA 15/DA 16-50/DA 50-135 are APS-C only lenses. It isn't as though they are going to even cover APS-H. On the other hand, lenses like the DA *55 and DA 40 are pretty decent on film and may just have some vignetting that could be touched up in post if desired. I think the DA 35 limited and DA 70 limited probably will benefit from a little cropping in post or camera.

I guess the thing is some people want to do everything in camera and not have to do any work after the fact. But I would guess that more full frame purchasers would be people who would tend to be OK with post processing their images.
12-12-2015, 03:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,245
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would guess that more full frame purchasers would be people who would tend to be OK with post processing their images.
Exactly!
12-12-2015, 04:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
acoufap's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 696
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I never understood the obsession with Crop Mode. If it were optimised for every lens it would be hopelessly complicated - for instance, in my limited testing the DA 35 limited covers FF at close focus but not at infinity, while the DA*50-135, DA*16-50, DA15 and DA21 are no good under any circumstance.

Why not just crop in PP if a lens doesn't quite cover 36x24, or keep an APS-C body for those lenses which are nowhere near the mark?
I'm anxious about how Ricoh maps the crop modes to storage formats. Will they offer different raw formats for FF and APS-C? If they do so, it will have impact on file sizes and maybe image burst rate.

If they only generate the crop for jpegs based on the FF raw (like in camera color filters etc.), everybody who works with raw files has to do the job in post - like today.

12-12-2015, 04:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,576
The image area you choose won't just have an impact on vignetting.

If you look at Nikon FF, for example, the image area you choose may also impact the AF point coverage (wider coverage with crop), the viewfinder display (cropped area visually greyed out), even the the AF-C frame rate (smaller DX files, faster fps), the live view display, and the video mode options too. It may also have an impact on metering.

So Pentax is, I believe, making it pretty clear that the crop mode behaviour will be totally under user control.

---------- Post added 2015-12-12 at 10:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I'm anxious about how Ricoh maps the crop modes to storage formats. Will they offer different raw formats for FF and APS-C? If they do so, it will have impact on file sizes and maybe image burst rate.
I think everyone should have a look at a Nikon D810 user manual. Pentax FF crop modes will no doubt operate very similarly.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
crop, display, ff, formats, image, impact, mode, modes, pentax, user
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
645 lenses on Sony full frame E mount adapter brelip Pentax Medium Format 11 04-06-2016 07:03 AM
Current K-mount Full-Frame Lenses ElJamoquio Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 100 02-20-2016 02:22 PM
Pentax Full-Frame to be Named K-1 PF Staff Homepage & Official Pentax News 16 11-17-2015 10:13 PM
My current collection of AF Full Frame Lenses...All Set! kraigg007 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 21 02-09-2015 05:33 PM
From Full-Frame Sony... to Pentax... to Full-Frame Canon Mr_Canuck Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 42 01-21-2014 12:50 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:09 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top