Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

2016 CP+ Pentax Interview

Exclusive interview with Ricoh Imaging at CP+ 2016.

Read more on the PF homepage...

02-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cross-posted and expanded from the comments section.

QuoteQuote:
No, it's fixed due to the presence of the LCD overlay.
Same reason the Canon EOS 7D had a fixed focusing screen. I figured so much.

Not surprised that the AF sensor is the same. The AF sensor has nine columns of horizontal-line-sensitive sensors but the second and eighth columns were disabled on the K-3 and K-3 II (no idea why; might be for optical reasons). The AF optics were overhauled, though I don't fully understand why the new transmissive LCD plays a role in focus point indication. I still suspect there were key algorithmic changes to the AF system, and they likely go hand in hand with the new metering AI algorithms. I was the one who brought up the new focus confirmation behavior, so I'm rather disappointed that they said there were no major changes to the way the AF system worked. An actual demo of the AF system in action, including the viewfinder display behavior, would be in order.

Lack of USB 3.0 is not an issue as I use a fast media reader most of the time. USB 3.0 Micro-B cables aren't commonly encountered outside of external hard drives, and the K-3 II was not able to do UHS-I at the full SDR104 speed (it was limited to SDR50). However, given that SDR104 was explicitly listed as a feature for the K-1, this omission does seem to be very puzzling to me. USB Type-C certainly would have been a valid option, and they could have used USB Power Delivery in the 9V mode to eliminate the need for the K-AC132 adapter.