Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 514
Pentax K-1 High-Resolution Sample Photos

High-resolution sample photos from the pre-production Pentax K-1 full-frame DSLR.

Read more on the PF homepage...

03-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,911
Still only 2.67 MP images but I think they do look pretty nice


ISO 3200 on the K-1 is kind of mushy but looks like ISO 800 on crop to me. Nice improvement.
03-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 1,853
that ISO102,400 image verges on the usable - pretty impressive in my book
03-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
robbiec's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cork, Ireland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,220
2 stop improvement over K-5IIS and 3 stop over the K-3 in ISO terms. Looking good for available light enthusiasts.

03-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,831
Still firmware v0.48, is that correct?

The K-1 sample images placed on the Ricoh site (and taken at least a month ago, maybe more) show "K-1 Ver.1.00".

So it's strange to see old pre-prod firmware still out there.
03-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,118
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Still firmware v0.48, is that correct?

The K-1 sample images placed on the Ricoh site (and taken at least a month ago, maybe more) show "K-1 Ver.1.00".

So it's strange to see old pre-prod firmware still out there.
That is strange, because the production firmware definitely isn't out yet based on what I was told. The K-1 still hasn't gotten Wi-Fi certification, for instance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,911
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That is strange, because the production firmware definitely isn't out yet based on what I was told. The K-1 still hasn't gotten Wi-Fi certification, for instance.
Could be their way of hiding the firmware.. just set it to v1.0 on the screen for promo shots. But the actual test bodies weren't masked? A guess.
03-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,255
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
2 stop improvement over K-5IIS and 3 stop over the K-3 in ISO terms. Looking good for available light enthusiasts.
What's your assessment in terms of usable ISO when comparing the K3 vs. the K1 ? (Rather than improvement in "stop").
Trying to understand what is what .

03-10-2016, 05:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter
robbiec's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cork, Ireland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,220
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What's your assessment in terms of usable ISO when comparing the K3 vs. the K1 ? (Rather than improvement in "stop").
Trying to understand what is what .
I have always considered the K-5IIs the best so far of the Pentax cameras for low light ability. 6400-12,800 would routinely return a usable shot if your exposure was there or thereabouts. In similar conditions I would restrict my K-3 to 3200 to 6400 to be confident of a usable to me shot. Looking at the test shots, the K-1's upper limit to me would be 51,200 or 2 stops. In actual terms it may actually be more because potentially you will be able to take a shot at a lower shutter speed with the improved shake reduction and because your lens is acting on a 1:1 basis and not 1:1.5 basis which will also help with lowering shutter speed thus easing requirement of having to raise ISO to return correct exposure at your favoured aperture and shutter speed.

Hope that makes sense.
03-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,255
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I have always considered the K-5IIs the best so far of the Pentax cameras for low light ability. 6400-12,800 would routinely return a usable shot if your exposure was there or thereabouts. In similar conditions I would restrict my K-3 to 3200 to 6400 to be confident of a usable to me shot. Looking at the test shots, the K-1's upper limit to me would be 51,200 or 2 stops. In actual terms it may actually be more because potentially you will be able to take a shot at a lower shutter speed with the improved shake reduction and because your lens is acting on a 1:1 basis and not 1:1.5 basis which will also help with lowering shutter speed thus easing requirement of having to raise ISO to return correct exposure at your favoured aperture and shutter speed.

Hope that makes sense.
Does make sense.
I find that my K5 has better low light capability than my new K3 and I had been debating whether to get the K5IIs vs. the K3.
In the end, I picked the K3... mistake? We shall see; I do quite a bit of low light (deep forest and early morning/late afternoon shooting) so I will eventually see how that K3 performs.
The new K-1 would be absolutely great .... then again, I like the "reach" of the APS-C format.
Seems like you cannot have your cake and eat it too !
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Abstract Sample Photos on Pentax K-50 Nandakumar1712 Post Your Photos! 4 03-07-2016 03:03 AM
Speculation: real-world K-1 sample photos? odyseuss Pentax Full Frame 49 02-12-2016 01:19 PM
Pentax K-50 Sample Photos Adam Pentax K-30 & K-50 16 08-19-2013 09:02 PM
Offering pritnts vs high resolution photos on disc? creoleart Photographic Industry and Professionals 28 08-16-2009 06:54 PM
K-7 Firmware 1.0 is Out! Plus Full Sized Sample Photos RiceHigh Pentax News and Rumors 6 05-20-2009 08:54 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top