Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2016, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

New Mosaic Gallery for "Post Your Photos"

A better way to browse our photo sharing forum!

Read more on the PF homepage...

04-17-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great work!
04-18-2016, 03:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Terrific idea - I would have missed 99% of these.
10-22-2016, 03:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PF Staff Quote
A better way to browse our photo sharing forum!
I really like the photo mosaic for looking at photos, I have discovered several photos I would likely have missed with the "classical" view. Thank you!

I do, however, think that the selection algorithm could be improved on slightly: very often the mosaic consists mostly of photos of the same or a very closely related subject (seven different photos of similar ducks/flowers, subject at varying distance/sharpness etc). I think this reduces the benefit of the mosaic as a way to discover new photos and was probably not the intention when it was set up.
I believe this is due to two things in the mosaic algorithm: 1) it shows/picks every single photo posted in threads that have a series of photos 2) It groups photos from the same thread together.

One way to get around this would be to only display the first photo from a Post-your-photos thread in the mosaic. This way some great photos may not be displayed, but I think it would improve the overall quality of the photos.
However, some threads contain several very good photos. A way to include these photographs, and subject to the photographers discretion, would be to enable a "tick-box" to "include all photos in mosaic gallery" when starting a Post-your-photos thread (placed together with the Category, Lens, Aperture or under Miscellaneous Options).

A related item: currently there is no quick way of accessing the mosaic when browsing the nice, new mobile-friendly main pentaxforums.com website. It would be fitting to include a link to it under the "=" (equation sign) menu.

Thank you again for making the mosaic feature!

Last edited by AlexBW; 10-22-2016 at 03:10 AM. Reason: fix
10-22-2016, 03:32 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexBW Quote
I really like the photo mosaic for looking at photos, I have discovered several photos I would likely have missed with the "classical" view. Thank you!

I do, however, think that the selection algorithm could be improved on slightly: very often the mosaic consists mostly of photos of the same or a very closely related subject (seven different photos of similar ducks/flowers, subject at varying distance/sharpness etc). I think this reduces the benefit of the mosaic as a way to discover new photos and was probably not the intention when it was set up.
I believe this is due to two things in the mosaic algorithm: 1) it shows/picks every single photo posted in threads that have a series of photos 2) It groups photos from the same thread together.

One way to get around this would be to only display the first photo from a Post-your-photos thread in the mosaic. This way some great photos may not be displayed, but I think it would improve the overall quality of the photos.
However, some threads contain several very good photos. A way to include these photographs, and subject to the photographers discretion, would be to enable a "tick-box" to "include all photos in mosaic gallery" when starting a Post-your-photos thread (placed together with the Category, Lens, Aperture or under Miscellaneous Options).

A related item: currently there is no quick way of accessing the mosaic when browsing the nice, new mobile-friendly main pentaxforums.com website. It would be fitting to include a link to it under the "=" (equation sign) menu.

Thank you again for making the mosaic feature!
Thanks for the feedback! The gallery doesn't currently have a mobile version, but once we set one up, we'll add it to the mobile site.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2016, 05:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexBW Quote
I do, however, think that the selection algorithm could be improved on slightly: very often the mosaic consists mostly of photos of the same or a very closely related subject... I think this reduces the benefit of the mosaic as a way to discover new photos ....

I really prefer the mosaic display, but I agree with the comment above. I think the person posting multiple photos should be allow to chose the single photo which is displayed, and if you click on that photo, you get the rest of their series. This would give the viewer an opportunity to see a wider variety of work from more photographers, rather than having to scroll through multiple shots by one photographer to get to the next.