Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2018, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member
Site Supporter

Looking Back at the Pentax Community in 2017

A look back at Pentax and community news in 2017.

Read more on the PF homepage...

01-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quickly reviewing the comments so far, I see some negative thoughts about a lack of new products, innovation by Ricoh. I agree that we are due for a replacement to the K3 twins and expect that something will happen in 2018. The fact that the 645 now has a reduced list price also likely indicates some activity in this area. Looking at the major competition, Nikon and Canon are having real problems with erosion from smart phones. They have too many products. Pentax has a limited line but it is a good line. There are real differences between most models and there is a good selection of lenses. The future competition will likely be smart phone cameras and having a balanced line-up is likely the way to go, something that Ricoh seems to be pursuing.

Personally, I am anxiously awaiting a K3 replacement and the introduction of the DA* 11-18 lens. I agree with the comment that the DA* 16-50 and 50-135 need replacing with more robust versions. I have the 16-50 and have replaced the motor twice already. Really ticked off about having to do this. Otherwise, I really like this lens, it is my "go to" lens. Anyway, let's see what the first quarter of 2018 brings.
01-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yoda boy Quote
Quickly reviewing the comments so far, I see some negative thoughts about a lack of new products, innovation by Ricoh. I agree that we are due for a replacement to the K3 twins and expect that something will happen in 2018. The fact that the 645 now has a reduced list price also likely indicates some activity in this area. Looking at the major competition, Nikon and Canon are having real problems with erosion from smart phones. They have too many products. Pentax has a limited line but it is a good line. There are real differences between most models and there is a good selection of lenses. The future competition will likely be smart phone cameras and having a balanced line-up is likely the way to go, something that Ricoh seems to be pursuing.

Personally, I am anxiously awaiting a K3 replacement and the introduction of the DA* 11-18 lens. I agree with the comment that the DA* 16-50 and 50-135 need replacing with more robust versions. I have the 16-50 and have replaced the motor twice already. Really ticked off about having to do this. Otherwise, I really like this lens, it is my "go to" lens. Anyway, let's see what the first quarter of 2018 brings.
I agree about the DA*'s- they are really due for a refresh, and I feel like this is something that wouldn't require too much effort, but would yield Ricoh a lot of sales. The original SDM motors are awful and with 3 other motor types to choose from you'd think they'd just go ahead and get it over with.

I also think they should be more transparent about the direction/future of the K-mount crop system. We all know they've said they're committed, but with a dearth of new launches a little reassurance along the way would work wonders.

Finally, innovation within the Theta line is not to be overlooked. I'd be willing to bet that Ricoh is getting more profit from the Theta than anything else right now. Getting a solid footing in this new market could be key to long-term survival, and the fact that smartphones enhance the Theta (rather than compete with it) pretty much guarantee success as long as the tech, features, and prices keep up.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: