Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2018, 05:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Very handy to have all the test images available for download!

A few minor quibbles:
  • The K-1 needs the latest firmware - it's on v1.40, but we are up to v1.43 now.
  • Exposure compensation seems to be inconsistently applied to some of the images - eg the ISO 12800 images - which can make comparisons tricky.
  • Pity Adobe Camera Raw munged the EXIF on these files so much, even the DNGs - all the metering sensor values have been totally zeroed, for example. Straight out of camera DNG's on both sides would have been neat.
  • Browsing the Google Drive files would have been easier if the downloadable images were named more meaningfully - eg had camera and ISO in the name - eg K1-6400.DNG, K1II-6400.DNG etc. Imaging Resource follows such a convention in it's Comparometer image samples, and it's handy.

04-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
You sure about that...?
For my K-1 In Adobe ACR I have the DNG files set to open with the embedded camera profile. I prefer the embedded profile as the Adobe profiles shift the Red channel to much.

To compare these test images against each other to get the color to match you have to use the same profile whether it is the embedded profile or Adobe Standard/Bright/Natural etc. If you apply the embedded camera profile to these K-1 test images the color of the files will better match the K-1 MkII which only has the embedded profile for now.
04-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
You sure about that...?
Yes The first thing I did when I imported all the DNG files for both cameras into Lightroom was reset any adjustments, set all of them to use the embedded profile (i.e. not Adobe's, but the one stored within the DNG file), then remove any default sharpening and luminance / colour noise reduction. That way, it sets a level playing field.

The colours are richer and better retained with the K-1II, and the noise handling - to me (not necessarily for others) - is considerably better. Of course, there's going to be a cost to that, but early indications are that I could live with that cost.

As an aside, I always use the Embedded profile and carry out my processing - whether my own presets, or individual adjustments - based on that.

Bear in mind, the Embedded profile is only available with the DNG file - not with PEF (at least, that has been the case with every recent camera up to and including the K-1)...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-29-2018 at 03:22 PM.