Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2018, 01:00 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Comparing the 3 Pentax FA Limited Primes

Bernard Dery presents a short article discussing the merits and flaws of the three Pentax FA Limited lenses.

Read more on the PF homepage...

05-22-2018, 02:03 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I find that the article is too subjective and not substantive.

The writer does not mention what he likes to shoot. (hence the weightage towards the FA77ltd)

There are also no pictorial examples to better convey the idea/preference across.
So without these, the article becomes too light in content in my opinion.

The FA31ltd for example is exemplary.
Wide, fast, not too big for a fast wide with f1.8.
Fantastic 3D rendition when needed at the wider apertures and sharp edge to edge f8, f11 for landscapes (unless someone has an odd use case of f1.8-f2.8 for landscapes )

FA77ltd
Super small for a short tele.
Again that wonderful 3D and subject isolation for people/portraits at wider apertures and 50mm like sharp stopped down f5.6 and higher.
Performs like a 50/1.4 but at the 77mm focal length in a highly portable package.

Ok, I saved my least favorite for last....
FA43ltd, I liked it more on apsc (oddly)
On FF, it does seem to have less 'pop' than a 50/1.4 used at f1.4 to f2.8 especially at the engagement distances I prefer (ie. half body) for people/candid/streets.
I prefer the wider 'reportage' style of the 31ltd or a more focused/tighter normal look of the 50mm (on FF), the 43ltd seems too "in-between"
However, I do like the working distance at home as a studio portrait lens (due to working distance I have available and how it sharpens up well by f4, f5.6) and the small size makes it a go to lens for casual family outings.
No problems too for landscape (at f8, f11).

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-22-2018 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate term
05-22-2018, 05:21 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I find that the article is too subjective and not substantive.
Hey!

The writer does not mention what he likes to shoot. (hence the weightage towards the FA77ltd)
I shoot all kinds of stuff. And I do believe I am able to understand what each lens does best.

There are also no pictorial examples to better convey the idea/preference across.
The three individual reviews are full of examples.

The article is meant just the way it is, as a personal comment about, as I wrote, "my very personal evaluation" of the lenses. It's right there at the beginning. That's why I used "I", "me", etc, something I never do in reviews.

The comments about the strengths and weaknesses of the lenses are objective. What I like and don't like is personal.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-22-2018 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Edited to reflect modified quoted post