Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The copy of the M 50 used seems to be exceptional. It makes me wonder if I've been too harsh in the performance of the copy I have.
It's hard to say if a pârticular lens is a particularly stellar copy, we can only assume that it is representative of the model as a whole.

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Thanks, and I a kind of wish you added *55 in there too. It is not a 50 but it 1.4 and perhaps the right racehorse to the new *50.
There is a "modern 50mm comparison" available with the 55 included. You can use it to compare the 55 with the M and FA 50s.

05-05-2020, 03:55 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I can't think of a way to put meaningful DOF marks on a lens without an aperture ring, which is also absent from the D FA. The D FA is limited in how it can be used on Pentax cameras built before the nineties (when was AV mode introduced?).
The thing is - DOF markings need to be different for crop frame and full frame.
05-07-2020, 12:41 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The thing is - DOF markings need to be different for crop frame and full frame.
You are correct that the DOF calculation is based on the circle of confusion at standard print size; but in these pixel peeping days I would suggest that it is pixel size that changes the assessment.

As K-1 and K-5 have same pixel pitch, stands to reason exactly the same DOF would apply at pixel peeping level.
05-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
You are correct that the DOF calculation is based on the circle of confusion at standard print size; but in these pixel peeping days I would suggest that it is pixel size that changes the assessment.

As K-1 and K-5 have same pixel pitch, stands to reason exactly the same DOF would apply at pixel peeping level.
Interesting idea, but the math to prove it would induce a major headache. The conventional wisdom goes like this.

QuoteQuote:
There are several sneaky ways that format size sneaks into the DOF math:
  1. Enlargement factor
  2. Focal Length
  3. Subject-to-camera / focal distance

Depth of Field, Part III: The Myths | B&H Explora
The enlargement factor is open to interpretation. Pixel peeping certainly covers that.

05-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #20
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DOF markings for FF apply to APSC if choose 1 stop more open than actual taking aperture. E.g., if taking at f/16 use DOF marking for f/11. This is exact for 1.414 crop sensor, so close enough for 1.5 crop.
05-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Way back in the last century, before there was an Internet and phones were black and mounted on a wall, I started shooting 35mm film with a Braun rangefinder camera that didn't even have a light meter and the DOF markings were a teaching tool. But even then the link between the amount of the image that was in focus and what the DOF markings indicated was pretty weak. In my opinion, DOF markings are the most useless lens feature possible. Experience and taking lots of photographs are far more effective ways to get a grip on depth of field.
05-08-2020, 05:08 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
DOF markings for FF apply to APSC if choose 1 stop more open than actual taking aperture. E.g., if taking at f/16 use DOF marking for f/11. This is exact for 1.414 crop sensor, so close enough for 1.5 crop.
I respectfully think you put too much faith in anyone's ability to rad accurately those markings. The margin of error is just too high.