Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

HD Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-F4.5 Fisheye Review Posted

An in-depth review of the HD Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-F4.5 fisheye lens

Read more on the PF homepage...

11-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #2

Yeah, but it seems the same old SMC lens but in the new "HD package". The optical construction, dimensions, weight etc are the same. Maybe better coatings??
Is there someone, who compared these both lenses in the same conditions?
11-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p3t3rg Quote
Yeah, but it seems the same old SMC lens but in the new "HD package". The optical construction, dimensions, weight etc are the same. Maybe better coatings??
I have both versions, but my SMC is out for repair so I haven't done a direct comparison.

There are a couple of things that don't need a direct comparison though:
The removable hood gives the lens a new lease of life on the K-1 - the near-circular image is great fun. It also makes the front element much easier to clean.
The build quality feels demonstrably better, and it is a better looking lens (for what that's worth!).
The new lens cap is much more secure.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 11-17-2019 at 06:33 PM.
11-17-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by p3t3rg Quote
The official page also has 2 images comparison test

HD PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE10-17mmF3.5-4.5ED / Wide-Angle Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

I test it in a store, it somewhat feels pretty much the same as the older version when hold in hand. I have the old version. The removable hood is definitely a good update. HD coding... yeah why not, But I think it is not enough for me to pay for the update. If it had WR upgrade, yes, I would pay for it.

11-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
If it had WR upgrade, yes, I would pay for it.
I totally agree! I sorta hope that all lenses would be released with WR from here on out. Pentax's renown weather sealing is one of the main reasons I got into Pentax in the first place.