Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm. 'Most Important Camera' of 2009.

'Importance' is always an interesting criterion for anything.

If we go by present senses of what'll be most influential, from how things seem in the present, (for weal or woe) I'd have to go with the Olympus.

But I'm unconvinced. Assuming this has other intents behind it.

The big name brands are pretty much refinements of existing developments.

The Leica is ...Maybe proving you can actually *have* such a rangefinder with digital. From a small, high-quality company.

The Pentax and Sony are both kind of saying, 'Yes, you can has what you film types used to take for granted, too.'

Accepting my existing biases, (which are why I'm here in the first place) I'd have to say, either the Pentax, (for putting together the enthusiast-level camera in this way, and successfully breaking the usual scheme of 'what-things-cost' ) or the Olympus (for coming across as really revolutionary. )

The Sony and Leica are sentimental favorites: (The Sony would get more consideration if all the cool stuff weren't actually in last year's model: they just stripped down somewhat, and compromised on the finder, which to me was The Thing About A900s. If they hadn't done that but still made a modular-grip model... might be different. )

The Olympus could be the origin of a whole genre of cameras, or like the original Pen, kind of be a neat thing in its own world a while. Much buzz... But is this the important one. Is this the 'Pen F?' and where would that go? .

The Pentax could be like what I said when I got my K20d. "Great. Now put this in metal." Tough call, in an objective sense. 'Important to *me* ...less so.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-11-2009 at 02:01 PM.
11-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #17
Damn Brit

I would have voted for 'best green line on sensor'.
11-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I would have voted for 'best green line on sensor'.
I'm taking all anecdotal reports of QC problems as roughly equivalent, (With the exception of the seven thousand dollar Leica: that had better be bombproof and inspected and guaranteed by trained professionals) .... since it's the Internet and I have seen none of these cameras in person.
11-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Then why did you vote?
You don't have to own a camera to vote for it. I voted for the Olympus Pen because it's a revolutionary device, the very first EVIL camera.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-11-2009 at 06:05 PM.
11-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
You don't have to own a camera to vote for it. I voted for the Olympus Pen because it's revolutionary device, the very first EVIL camera.

Could be the case. Have to wonder if this is the one, though. The very first SLRs weren't really the ones considered seminal, that's the thing of it. (Was it the *first* Leica 35mm that was important, or the first one they realy got 'right?' and made the format really big? I tend to think of things like 'staying power' and such. Kind of like how the Canon T90 was hailed as influentially-revolutionary (And turned out to be: this is pretty much what all these DSLRs are in fact based on, now, design and UI wise. Clearer in retrospect, though.) Was that clear amidst the hype of the time? Not so much.

The original Olympus Pen series... Well-loved and very nice machines... People thought 'Half-frame is the thing!' Did it turn out so? Not exactly.
11-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #21

Then why did you vote?
just cause i own a K20D and i know for sure K7 is better.
how do i know K7 is better apart from all the reviews? i believe you guys
11-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #22
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I voted for the Olympus Pen because it's revolutionary device, the very first EVIL camera.
Precisely. As much as I'd want Pentax to have brought a revolutionary camera, K-7's just a good DSLR. And while DSLRs have their strengths, they're yesterday's dinosaurs. EVIL will prevail the earth. (Wait, this starts sounding like a horror movie!)

11-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All done for me!My vote is in.
11-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #24
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by sharathk Quote
just cause i own a K20D and i know for sure K7 is better.
how do i know K7 is better apart from all the reviews? i believe you guys
Kind of makes the poll pointless then. If you're doing it, other people are doing it (from other brands as well). It just makes for one more piece of information that can't be trusted when researching a purchase.
11-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #25
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Adorama:
Now it’s your turn to share your opinion. Which camera is the most important model to be introduced in 2009, as of November 1st?
There's not one single word about owning or buying the camera, but of the opinion of the most important one.
11-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #26
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
There's not one single word about owning or buying the camera, but of the opinion of the most important one.
So that just confirms it's pretty pointless. People will be voting on what they think they know. That suggests to me that the winner will be from the brand that has the most fanboys.
Judging by the number of responses to this thread so far, I doubt it will be the K-7. Seems to me that Pentax shot themselves in the foot by bringing out a better camera at half the price.
11-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #27
emr

Gary, I don't quite get your point. You wrote "People will be voting on what they think they know." Based on this logic the only people who could vote are the ones who own or have owned or used extensively all the mentioned cameras. Not very realistic. On the other hand, while one does not necessary have 1st hand experience on a certain camera, reading reviews and specs can give a fairly reasonable understanding if a certain camera is good or not, or if it is revolutionary or not.
11-12-2009, 03:29 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
90 percent of all polls are inaccurate anyways. If I were to vote one without being a fanboy, I would've chosen the EP-1 instead since this is the vote for the most "important" camera of this year and I guess improvement of micro 4/3rd sensors is pretty important and I don't see how anything else is a important improvement, although there are some pretty cool features in the K-7 such as CA correction, distortion correction, and horizon correction which I don't know if any other DSLR currently has it.
11-12-2009, 05:49 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I would've chosen the EP-1 instead since this is the vote for the most "important" camera of this year and I guess improvement of micro 4/3rd sensors is pretty important
The sensor in the EP-1 is not the reason it's important. Its importance is that it's a completely new type of camera; the very first of its kind, with compact camera size and dslr performance. It's like a point & shoot because it uses an electronic shutter, no mirror and no optical viewfinder. It's like a dslr because it uses the same 4/3 sensor as found in Olympus dslr's and allows interchangeable lens changes like a dslr.

The poll is to determine the most important camera of the year. The Pen-1 is a clunker in terms of features and handling, but as a true revolution in design its importance dwarfs evolutionary features of the K-7, a lower priced Sony full-frame, etc. I firmly believe that all manufacturers will follow this EVIL recipe and a whole new niche will follow. (EVIL = Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lenses).

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-12-2009 at 05:59 AM.
11-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #30

Kind of makes the poll pointless then. If you're doing it, other people are doing it (from other brands as well). It just makes for one more piece of information that can't be trusted when researching a purchase.
i think its a poll about what you think is good. not necessarily what you know is good. and moreover how do you know when you've not had hands on other cameras? the poll says readers choice and not owners choice. i agree that at the end
the camera which has more fanboys might end up winning. thats what happens when you open the poll to the public i guess.