Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX ADDS 100mm F2.8 WR MACRO TO WEATHER-RESISTANT LENS LINE-UP

News update from the official Pentax website:

GOLDEN, COLORADO (December 9, 2009)…PENTAX Imaging Company has announced the smc PENTAX D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR lens designed for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras. Combining a high-quality exterior finish with PENTAX-original weather-resistant construction, this new macro lens is especially useful for the demands of outdoor photography.

This PENTAX macro lens features a high-grade, aluminum barrel with the high-quality, exclusive exterior design and finish unique to the PENTAX D FA series lenses. Further, the entire mechanism of the focus ring has been reviewed and upgraded to assure flawless manual-focus operation. For improved performance, the PENTAX D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR is the first PENTAX interchangeable macro lens featuring a completely rounded diaphragm blade to create a natural, beautiful bokeh at wide apertures, while minimizing the streaking effect of point light sources.

PENTAX WR lenses feature simplified weather-resistant construction to repel water and moisture. Combined with a PENTAX weather-resistant K-7, K20D, K200D or K10D digital SLR camera body, the lens performs well in damp, inclement outdoor conditions including rain, mist, water spray and splashes.

The lens also features the PENTAX-original SP (Super Protect) surface coating to repel dust, water and grease and to minimize fingerprints.

Other significant features of this latest WR lens include:

• Mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body, this lens offers a focal length equivalent to 153mm in the 35mm format for high-quality, true-to-life images, while minimizing flare and ghost images. The maximum life-size magnification allows photographers to capture dramatic close-up images with great ease.
• A working distance of just over five inches (13 cm) facilitates close-up photography of subjects including flora, insects, and wildlife.
• The PENTAX-developed Quick-Shift Focus System for instant switching to manual-focus operation after the subject is captured in focus by the camera’s AF system.
• An image circle to accommodate 35mm film-format camera image size.
• Compatibility with the macro adapter included in the PENTAX AF160FC dedicated Auto Macro Ring Flash.

The PENTAX D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR lens will ship in January 2010 for USD $849.95. A product image is available here: www.pentaximaging.com/press/pressfiles.html
PENTAX Imaging Company is an innovative leader in the production of a variety of digital cameras including weather resistant digital SLRs and compact, waterproof cameras, as well as lenses, flash units, binoculars, scopes, and eyepieces. For 90 years, PENTAX has developed durable, reliable products that meet the needs of consumers and businesses. With headquarters in Golden, Colorado, PENTAX Imaging Company is a division of PENTAX of America, Inc.

Media contact:

Michelle Martin
Michelle.martin@pentax.com
Consumer contact:
pentaxinfo@pentax.com
1-800-877-0155
www.youtube.com/Pentaxian1
PENTAX and smc PENTAX are trademarks of HOYA CORPORATION.
Design and Specifications is subject to change without notice.

More...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Awesome. I'll start saving my duckets now.
12-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its time to dust off those MZ/ZX bodies (or other program ones) for a spin.

Too bad the Pentax LX doesn't have a KA mount otherwise it would be the perfect sealed full frame combo...unless Pentax's got something BIG cooking up in back kitchen. LoL
12-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Why did the other tread get closed and Adam say it was still a rumor when there was an obvious link to the Russian Pentax site?

Thank you
Russell

12-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Why did the other tread get closed and Adam say it was still a rumor when there was an obvious link to the Russian Pentax site?

Thank you
Russell
I can't speak for the mods, but a Russian distributor is not the same as direct from Pentax. I'm just sayin'
12-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
• An image circle to accommodate 35mm film-format camera image size.
Thanks for the news update.

I certainly don't want to create a discussion here (there are other threads for this). But I couldn't refrain from highlighting a wording we haven't heard from Pentax for years
12-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter

It looks very tempting! (And I have the current - now previous - DFA 100 Macro.)
12-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

D-FA yet no aperture ring.
Do i hear FF? (ducks for cover)

12-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, at least it's official now! And what short notice, too...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
D-FA yet no aperture ring.
Do i hear FF? (ducks for cover)
you are aware that the D-FA are FF optics, right?
12-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

what interests me though is the rounded aperture blade design. can't wait how this lens would turn out against the FA/D-FA 100 macro versions. hope for the best.
12-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

And I have the previous, previous model (FA 100mm); list price of $849 though is pretty expensive!

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote
It looks very tempting! (And I have the current - now previous - DFA 100 Macro.)
12-10-2009, 02:38 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I think that was his point - D-FA without aperture ring means this thing isn't too useful on old Pentax bodies - which suggests that they're looking towards FF digital.

Exciting indeed.
12-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Exactly my point. No aperture ring means it wasn't intended to be used on film and it's D-FA, covering FF and there is no Pentax FF yet...
12-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #15

Any thoughts on how this lens might compare to the Canon 100mm EF IS. I shoot both Canon and Pentax (for the primes and internal IS of course). The Canon is by all means an amazing lens - here's to hoping Pentax got this right!