Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Judging by the buzz the camera is receiving in Nikon and Canon forums (and MF and Leica, etc...), Pentax has really tapped into something with the 645D. The camera appears to be a clear step up from 35mm FF (with respect to image quality at least) and is a potential upgrade path to the Pentax brand, all while leveraging a well-respected and storied heritage. Ultimately, it's making a bigger splash and re-establishing the credentials of the brand in a way that a "me too" FF Pentax could not have done.

Kudos to Pentax, especially those within the organization that have championed this camera over the years through thick and thin. And kudos to Hoya too - for listening and financing the effort. The impact the camera is having with the brand perception is palpable.

03-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Judging by the buzz the camera is receiving in Nikon and Canon forums (and MF and Leica, etc...), Pentax has really tapped into something with the 645D. The camera appears to be a clear step up from 35mm FF (with respect to image quality at least) and is a potential upgrade path to the Pentax brand, all while leveraging a well-respected and storied heritage. Ultimately, it's making a bigger splash and re-establishing the credentials of the brand in a way that a "me too" FF Pentax could not have done.

Kudos to Pentax, especially those within the organization that have championed this camera over the years through thick and thin. And kudos to Hoya too - for listening and financing the effort. The impact the camera is having with the brand perception is palpable.
Won't we all be surprised when they "fill the gap" between the K-7 and 645D with a feature-rich, value-priced, weather-sealed FF in a K20 body? Released July 2011 - full production run-up for Holiday season sales.

Honda started small, too. Subaru was really weird.

The Kaizen philosophy and 35 years gives a lot of momentum.

Constant, incremental improvements; catchy advertising; a unique market niche that you stick to.

(Unfortunately there isn't a ready supply of in-production FA lenses as there is for the FA645D line).
03-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
For the moment, they get enough coverage with the 645D. Presenting the lens lineup later (for example at CP+) would double the coverage and therefore free publicity.
I was surprised they didn't release more lenses myself with this and I'd put it down to exactly that myself too.
03-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm surprised that the inbuilt max shutter time is 30 seconds. I would have thought it advantageous to have a longer max shutter for landscape shooters and astro buffs. Still, I guess that is what remotes are for.