Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Oooh... I wish I didn't hear that... that's a nope. :ugh:
I wish I hadn't said anything then...
11-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #93
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lol. No, problem. I'm clearly the ding-bat here. I did a few purchases on eBay these past few weeks but didn't take an advantage of any discounts. ugh!
12-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #94
Veteran Member

here is an intresting shot, even though its (relativly) heavily post processed.

this was shot wide open (1.2) and i think i got the truck just in the area before the lens went into its hyperfocal range, so the effect is almost similar to that of a styled tilt shift lens with the focus corridor not reaching infinity

i used the clarity slider in the reverse direction (light room) to soften the image even more, and added some artificial vignetting for some emphasis.

also played with the sharpness sliders and some of the shadows/highlights but really that did little, this lens is really sharp wide open.

12-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

this was shot wide open (1.2) and i think i got the truck just in the area before the lens went into its hyperfocal range, so the effect is almost similar to that of a styled tilt shift lens with the focus corridor not reaching infinity

i used the clarity slider in the reverse direction (light room) to soften the image even more, and added some artificial vignetting for some emphasis.

also played with the sharpness sliders and some of the shadows/highlights but really that did little, this lens is really sharp wide open.
Thank you for sharing the shot. I also found f/1.2 quite usable, but I use more often the lens with better sharpness in f/2.0. When it is really dark, the lens has given me confidence to go wide open. Sometime, I actually attempt to shoot in f/1.4 in turning the aperture ring in between the f/1.2 and f/2.0 markings.

I used the Cosina f/1.2 over the long weekend in Monterey Bay Aquarium and I find AF with other lens very frustrating to picture swift fish swimming across the fish tank with beautiful colors and the lens served me well and the MF overcome the issues that I find with AF lacking for fast moving fish

Cosina 55mm f/1.2 -- my "Big Eye" lens

This fish is the 2nd fast in the tank
the fastest one is behind it in blue color
All attempts with AF fail on this fish

This fish is the fastest in the tank
All attempts with AF fail on this fish

this is the slowest but most colorful fish in another tank
perhaps the easiest to shoot among the rest

Cosina 55mm f/1.2 -- my "Big Eye" lens

Cosina 55mm f/1.2 Test Shots in Aquarium

12-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Great capture, I love it!....The PP what ever it was works!
12-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Hin, those are some of the finest aquarium shots I have seen...Bravo.

12-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #98
m8o
Veteran Member

here is an intresting shot, even though its (relativly) heavily post processed....
That shot makes me think the lens would like a nice B&W film.
12-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Joining the world of f1.2

Shame on you people! Shame on you for arousing my interest to shallow DOF pass the f1.4 mark

Gooshin - terrific photo in itself, but post processing just add so much mood and atmosphere. BTW - this photos, taken in Russia? If so, where? I was born and raised in Moscow (tough in the US since 1990)...

Hin - great aquarium photos, really well done!

Just opened the package - bough Cosina from a forum member here, brand new also. Fine piece of glass, feels good, good finish, even looks almost modern. Smooth focus, really a pleasure to handle.

Dark, late, hungry and thirsty, so thirst quencher first:

No spectacular photo here, but, love the colors and contrast! And for being wide open (K10D ISO 400 1/30sec) - sharp plenty. Keeper lens indeed!

Regards,
D
12-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #100
Veteran Member

This is a wonderful lens that has found a permanent home on my ME Super. I find it to really excel on film...

ME SUPER/ T-MAX 400 / Cosina F/1.2

12-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote

Dark, late, hungry and thirsty, so thirst quencher first:

No spectacular photo here, but, love the colors and contrast! And for being wide open (K10D ISO 400 1/30sec) - sharp plenty. Keeper lens indeed!

Regards,
D

This is an incredible shot, you should sell that to that beer company, D!

12-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #102
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
This is an incredible shot, you should sell that to that beer company, D!
+1! What colors. My shots are so pedestrian next to some of our members' here.

Me, I'm not quite comfortable with this lens yet, this being non-A ; I was so happy to have a meter, I miss it shooting this way. Have learning to do, & practice. And I'm [seriously] bummed the stops are @ 1-stop increments, or it jumps from f/1.2 to f/2. (I read about 'modding' it) What else. I really don't like not having my aperture in EXIF. I find I have to go by shutter speed & memory to determine the f-stop I'd used. Is there a better way? While this is a great 'economical' way to get to f/1.2, I think I may eventually need a Pentax-A version to make me happy.

Otherwise, f/1.2, when you absolutely need the speed. Well here, I really didn't need it, but experimenting. Not being too close so you can crop leaves you a bit more breathing room with the DOF. Based on the carpet and whiskers, where that was should be obvious.

This is worked pretty heavily in Lightroom. Shooting RAW & doing so no matter what program you use can't be beat.

It certainly does throw a nice OOF area. Note that pillow in the background in-line with her head here using f/1.2. Was able to use a 1/10s shutter at least with the help of the wide aperture.

I noted by f/2 the image is sharpened up almost to max. I tried f/5.6, but couldn't get a focus confirmation and found shutter speed was too slow. So dropped to f/4 using a 1/2 sec shutter speed here. Note the whiskers infront of her foot, lost in the f/1.2 image above.
12-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote

Gooshin - terrific photo in itself, but post processing just add so much mood and atmosphere. BTW - this photos, taken in Russia? If so, where? I was born and raised in Moscow (tough in the US since 1990)...

D
it is somewhere in moscow, not sure where exactly, we were just driving around.
12-09-2008, 06:00 AM   #104
Veteran Member

m80, you can get half-stops by just leaving the aperture ring in between clicks. As for this being an M lens, well, yes, it is (with its limitations), but it did save you spending $600+ on the Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2 just to experiment with this aperture

A little tip, if you're shooting wide open, set the camera to Av. You may need to dial in some EV comp., but once you've figured out how much you can just leave it and use the lens with a lot more ease.
12-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #105
Pentaxian

[QUOTE=Miserere;413926]A little tip, if you're shooting wide open, set the camera to Av. /QUOTE]
You can use Av, even when not shooting wide open. Just dial in the appropriate exposure compensation.