Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go Tigers
Lens: tamron 75-300 Camera: k-10 Photo Location: Comerica Park 

Hi,

I am a life long film user but just started used digital slr. This photo was shot in the "P" mode as I was just getting the feel of the camera. I feel it is too dark. I have also noticed that many other photos feel dark as well. I am not sure if it is me or is there a way to have these brighten up. I would prefer to do this before the photos are taken and not done post processing. thanks.

05-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have not used the K10, but if you search or ask in the other section of the forum you will be able to find someone who has used this camera and gets good results with different settings.

This looks about how natural looks with my kx, if I select bright and bump the saturation a tad you might get the results you are looking for. Maybe bump the exposure compensation a 1/3 stop up too.

The image is ok too, but damn vendors are always standing up during the play...!!
05-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I know I just need to shoot hundreds of different images in different settings to see what works. Must be the old film mind in me coming through.

Mike
05-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Nice shot of Willis!
I hope to get down to the stadium this season.
In most instances I've heard that pentax cameras tend to under-expose by about a third.
In both my K200 and K7 experience, That's generally true.
It does help preserve highlights.
Try a bit of compensation and see if that helps you.

RIP Ernie Harwell One of the finest men to have lived.......!

05-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You need to do a little exposure composition in camera. If you look at the histogram at the top right of the image below, you can see that you are only using 2/3 of the histogram.

Here I did a little Histogram Adjust in Paint Shop Pro X but you could also use levels or curves to get the same effect.

And the final version after a little sharpening.

Tim
05-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The biggest problem you are going to run into with exposing at games that I have found is the uniforms - if you want a proper exposure of the field of play, they are going to get blown out. Essentially it is one or the other, and only some PP can get close to the right exposure of both the field and the players.

To combat the best suggestion is to dial in +1/3 to +1/2 with the exposure comp and see what works best for the given light.

I think you'll find you get a better overall exposure at night games where the field and players are both well lit with the stadium lighting.

Edit: GO TWINS!

Last edited by pxpaulx; 05-07-2010 at 10:32 AM.
05-10-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agreed with pxpaulx's comments.

Also atupdate has shown how to make your picture more livelier and colourful.

Your original picture suffers from the followings (just my 2 cents worth of opinion):
1) the exposure is a wee dark
2) colour is dull (IMO)
3) some messy items like the vendors standing up during the play. (this can improved by cropping the bottom)

Cheers.

05-16-2010, 05:13 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much everyone. I appreciated the reworking of the photo Atupdate. Is that something that can be done on the camera or is it strickly a pp on the computer. It definitely looks better and something I am striving for.
« sunset | Smokeshow »