Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
am I not the cutest guy around
Lens: pentax prime 50 Camera: pentax K20d Photo Location: mums house Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F1.4 

this was baby Lucas first smile and I was on hand feed back would be appreciated i'm sure its a bit blured camera indicated it was in focus !!!!

Attached Images

Last edited by bubblesT; 05-04-2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: to add photo
05-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Oh, he's VERY cute! Congrats.
EXIF seems missing so I can't say, but the OOF looks more like shallow DOF occasioned by a large aperture shooting in relatively low natural lighting. I want to stress that I prefer natural lighting and I think this pays off here.
Overall the plane of focus at the nose/eyes seems reasonably in focus, and a little sharpening should bring it out nicely. This would result in a nice dreamy quality to the photograph wherein the facial features are sharp and the rest a little out of focus. This can and does accentuate the features you want to be the central focus of the person viewing the photo.
For me the alternating colors in the pillow/quilt and the stripes in the shirt are distracting. Above and beyond really liking B&W anyway, I am pretty sure that B&W would tend to suppress the distraction this creates.
Of course this is all to be taken generally in the context that I really like these photos, and think that the shallow DOF is an asset. Moreover, you really can't improve on the model. He's a corker! Enjoy him... seriously... mine are 5 and 7 and that's a great age, but I also miss my babies.
Nice work.
woof!