Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lincoln Memorial
Lens: 50mm f1.7 Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Washington, DC ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F1.7 

This is my first post and I thought this would be a good picture to start with. I was trying to go for a dramatic and majestic look. I live in the DC area and so any tips from shooting to PP are welcome. I posted the initial image (.jpeg version, but I shot it in RAW) and then a PP image of the same. I can use Lightroom 2 or Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended.

Attached Images

05-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is a bit underwhelming, I'm sorry to say.

The cropping is too severe by cutting off the bottom and having too large an expanse of gray.

There are columns and other aspects of the memorial which may make a more interesting shot.

I would have gone for the vertical shot from this position to get the text as well as the feet, which I will no doubt try when I am there in September...

And if memory serves, the stone is very white, so the first shot is more natural, and is the one I'd choose.
05-05-2010, 05:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
I looked up online for some samples and saw some similar pictures that use a vertical shot from the lower right hand side of the memorial. I think from there the shadows start to give the memorial some more character. I'm not quite sure about the columns that you spoke of unless it's from outside of the main room. Thanks for the advice, SpecialK. Once I'm done with school, I'll have some more time to spend taking photos. Time for Take 2.
05-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First off, a belated "Welcome to PF!"

Second, the shot is pretty 'standard" for the Lincoln Memorial but the PP is a definite improvement. The trick with the memorials is to find angles the average tourist won't use or to catch them in really unusual light.

Third, check out the National Capital Area Pentaxians (NCAP) social group. We have periodic "get togethers" and several of us are planning on going to the Airshow at Andrews AFB on the 15th or 16th of May. Would love to have you along.

Mike
Sterling, VA

05-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
First off, a belated "Welcome to PF!"

Second, the shot is pretty 'standard" for the Lincoln Memorial but the PP is a definite improvement. The trick with the memorials is to find angles the average tourist won't use or to catch them in really unusual light.

Third, check out the National Capital Area Pentaxians (NCAP) social group. We have periodic "get togethers" and several of us are planning on going to the Airshow at Andrews AFB on the 15th or 16th of May. Would love to have you along.

Mike
Sterling, VA
Hey Mike,

I joined the group and thanks for the heads up. I doubt I'll be able to make it for the airshow as I have to entertain some family, but it does seem like a great idea.

Scott
Arlington, VA
« Gecko | Seagull »