Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Boardwalk in the Woods
Lens: Sigma 28-80mm Camera: Pentax k200d Photo Location: Florida ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F13.5 

Please give me your opinion on this photo. The noise in the photo is on purpose. I wanted to simulate a film look. Thanks for your comments and tips!! Andrew

Attached Images

05-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

To my, absolutely untrained eye, I find it to be a little dark with no reason to be so. Cool boardwalk though.
05-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alhpro Quote
Please give me your opinion on this photo. The noise in the photo is on purpose. I wanted to simulate a film look. Thanks for your comments and tips!! Andrew
Potentially a good subject. I too think it's too dark, and I'm not sure that I like the grain simulation, B/W film doesn't have to look grainy to be good. Pay attention to the contrast, but an expansion of the tonal range might be good. In my opinion you should try to expand the tonal range and I think it might look better if you reduced the grain simulation. I think you have a potentially good image here, but I think it might need a few alterations.
05-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Revision

I have taken both of your advice. I have raised the exposure a touch. I agree it may have been a bit underexposed. But i do like the film grain look. I have reduced that a slight bit to compare. I think I may have had it a little to intense before. What do you think of this new version of the photo?

Attached Images

05-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alhpro Quote
I have taken both of your advice. I have raised the exposure a touch. I agree it may have been a bit underexposed. But i do like the film grain look. I have reduced that a slight bit to compare. I think I may have had it a little to intense before. What do you think of this new version of the photo?
I think that's an improvement. I like a full tonal scale on b/w. I think that it's important to retain black blacks and white whites and a full tonal scale in between. It's not easy to obtain, but when you get there it's worth the trouble.
05-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think there is a world of difference between the two... and the second gets my vote.
05-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #7

very good attempt. looks like a decades old photograph. nice capture of light.

« She sleeps | Makeup »