Does He Care?
Lens: 18-55mm Camera: Pentax k-x 

05-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #2

"Yes" ;D

Oh what a contribution to society someone have made on the post box
05-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
interesting photo, I like the litter on the street, it makes this photo for me... but I think the mail box is the point of focus and I would think you'd want the man walking to the focused point.
05-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
i live in a decent neighborhood, so when i saw this "tagged" mailbox i was like i gotta shoot this!

also there was trash on the ground and that guy walked by that looked like a construction worker and thought it would be great shot.

the tagged mailbox, trash and blue collar worker.

im just not sure if the "DOES HE CARE?" is a good enough tag line. Any suggestions? Something simple but makes you think...

05-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hockmasm Quote
i live in a decent neighborhood, so when i saw this "tagged" mailbox i was like i gotta shoot this!

also there was trash on the ground and that guy walked by that looked like a construction worker and thought it would be great shot.

the tagged mailbox, trash and blue collar worker.

im just not sure if the "DOES HE CARE?" is a good enough tag line. Any suggestions? Something simple but makes you think...
For me the tag "Does He Care" has no correlation to the picture. I can't connect the two. Care about what? The litter, the tagged mailbox, life? The scene tells me something about desertion, abandonment. The building appears vacated. Perhaps something based upon the old please turn out the light cliche' ... " Will he turn out the lights?"
05-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #6

White Balance

I find the white balance to be off. I corrected it using Photo Shop. What do you think?
Attached Images

05-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
clarkebd

Interesting.

I think I'd crop off the top a bit and remove the text. I find myself asking "Care about what?" more than I am thinking about the actual picture.

05-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flagpole bothers me - it seems to divide the picture into 2 scenes. Anybody else think that? Interesting human interest components here.
05-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #9

Ah, ok, I think the scenery is pretty decent and don't look that dull, broken down, worn, boring and disappointing.

And I just thought "does he care?" was referring to something like "look at this hobo with no joy in his life, do he care what will happen with him? With the planet?", sorta.

And I didn't wanted to analyze it too much or be to negative with my verdict.

Lots of people I know has been/are into graffiti and tagging shit and the town is filled with it so rather used with it, but it always look like crap imho. The tags that is. If it's some graffiti with time spent into creating it like on some storage facility out in the woods or a wall against the railway or on top of a facility of some sort and such then it may look better. Especially if it has some humor or such in it.

But yeah, my father was a carpenter and he may have taken his lunch box in a plastic bag or something such, so I just thought that maybe he was just a common worker on his way home and not at all without anything going for him. And hence, yes, he probably do care, because there's nothing wrong with him or his life.

And also the life spirit is strong in everything living. You may say "oh I can't imagine a life just lying in the bed", but if you where stuck that way? Would you really want to die? Or would you find some things you could enjoy such as reading, tv, friends, family, whatever. Everyone will die at some time anyway so why rush it ..

And I think plenty real hobos want to do their thing to even if life may not have given them all they wanted.

But I don't want to be a critic and just look for flaws.

I don't think the WB was off, I think it was supposed to look dull and gray to express the feelings the shooter wanted with the image + text.

And yeah, the mail box pops out too much. Maybe mask it and bring down the saturation so it gets in tone with the rest of the image?

Or try it in gray-scale but then maybe the person get lost because his colors don't stand out and there are so much space around. Or one could crop him out but then one lose the scrap/trash on the ground.

Try masking the trees, sky and mail box and pull down the saturation somewhat. Or maybe crop it as a panorama / leave out the right part from the pole and out to the picture edge. That way the scraps on the left will still be there and it will look like he walks away but with no postbox.

Just some ideas. But it's your image and I wouldn't be able to do better myself and it's probably hard to find the perfect angles, closer scraps and so on on a person you don't even know which moves... "Hi, you look like a tramp, can I take your picture for my series of photos of people with worthless lives?"

"Does he care" is sorta insulting to, in case as said he actually does have a normal life and likes it and actually do care for it. Who's got the right to judge how others live and spend their lives?
Sure he may not have a great job but he tries his best and do something. Eventually.

But yeah, atleast it starts a discussion and thinking process =P