Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

Delicious Treats!
Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Littleton, CO 

C&C on these food/product shots is quite welcome!

Exif should be intact:

1)

2)

3)

Thanks for viewing!

05-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jason,
Good attempt here.
Of the 3, #1 offers the best composition and arrangement.
Of note, the shallow depth of field could have been expanded as there is little in the background to distract from the subjects.
#3's focal point is lost in the middle of the image - this one needed to have a large depth of field to be more effective IMO.
Lighting overall seems to be a little harsh, and overpowering, limiting the rendition of texture. Simplifying and diffusing the light sources would have helped here.

Last edited by Ash; 05-12-2010 at 02:31 AM.
05-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Hi Jason,
Good attempt here.
Of the 3, #1 offers the best composition and arrangement.
Of note, the shallow depth of field could have been expanded as there is little in the background to distract from the subjects.
#3's focal point is lost in the middle of the image - this one needed to have a large depth of field to be more effective IMO.
Lighting overall seems to be a little harsh, and overpowering, limiting the rendition of texture. Simplifying and diffusing the light sources would have helped here.
Excellent suggestions, thank you!

So you're saying you'd like to see the light more diffused, and from less of a source? Like one source with reflectors instead of the three sources I used?

I agree with the DoF comment on #3, like I said, I missed the focus but a larger DoF would have helped. I was just about to pack up and eat the fruit when I decided to go for some handheld shots "playing around". Next time I'll be more deliberate.
05-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Nice! Love the first one. They look better than the half soggy ones I found when I opened the box yesterday. I know to check the bottom of the box before buying...but just forgot.
Regards!

BTW-All that was missing is the chocolate. Strawberries are not ready to eat until you have lots of chocolate on top!

05-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yummy!
05-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FattyMcJ Quote
So you're saying you'd like to see the light more diffused, and from less of a source?
In case you're still reading this, a single diffused light would eliminate the reflection, whilst still giving the opportunity to show texture detail from the slight shadow effect the single light source can provide.

Also, on the side, to be more effective, the fruit should be the freshest, pulpiest and perfect on the outside as possible, because of how close up you're shooting them (and the fact that they are the one and only subjects of your images ). These ones are slightly shrivelled and discoloured, and this is quite noticeable in your photos.