Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Studiophotos
Lens: Pentax 1:1,8/55 Camera: Pentax K10 Photo Location:

From my new studio in my basement. I will be glad to get critics of any kind, light is a subject that isn't quite easy.

Attached Images

05-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
mel
Veteran Member

I'll leave the lighting comments to the lighting experts, as there are plenty of them on this board, but the thing that strikes me straight off, is that in the 2nd and 4th images, the subjects seem to be floating in space. There's no ground or floor to be seen, at least not easily. I can kind of make one out a little in the last image but I have to really look for it. My monitor maybe?

I am new to the 'studio in the basement' thing myself. It's pretty fun to play with huh.
05-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Could you tell more about your setup?
Love the pose and idea in the 1st.
#4 lighting seems a bit harsh.
05-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's always tough to critique someone elses work(based on what?)
I can't say I've always been a fan of dark spaces though they seem to have there place.
But in this case, I don't find this aspect of the scenes to be complimentary to the subjects.

The first image is intriguing, but(being a man), I have no choice to be completely biased toward the female body(she looks amazing) and so I'm not even sure if my observations could be called sound there either.

Having said that, the second image looks like a cutout or masked in photoshop(is it?).
The third image seems stagelike, and gives me the impression of a promo shot for an stage actress(sort of). But not entirely because the pose seems to lack commitment(more of a in progress snap than a pose). The final image is good in terms of lighting, but it too leaves me with a feeling of void around it. Perhaps because children most often invoke feelings of a fitting surrounding. And in this case, it really feels empty.

I'm really sorry if my comment sounded overly negative. However, these are the things that jumped out at me when I looked at the images.

As for the lighting, I found no. 3 to produce the most feeling out of the set. The first seems somber(perhaps emphasized by the background), the second doesn't come across as problematic, though it doesn't derive any ambiance either. The fourth seems good, but without a setting, I find it somewhat hard to establish a form opinion on it.

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-17-2010 at 12:59 AM.
05-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I see what you mean in 2 and 4, this is the good thing of getting critics, some light action in the background and the floor may give more authenticity in those pictures. Thanx a lot Virginia

Ictus Tactus: I have one 1000 w on the roof reflecting downwards and one cold light 500 from left and a 200 from the floor left and a reflector from right, in the third picture, in the firs I have 1000 x from the roof right on the model, in the fourth one 200 from right side and 1000 from the roof. I think i have to by more 500 spots and not just at my model.

Johnbee: It is not done in PS. Interesting reflections on the third picture, i was more inspired by a paining than photo, and a kind of snapshot from moulin rouge or a Swedish artist named Anders Zorn who painted in a social mood.
i have painted a old-fashioned background but im not satisfied with that, and the white, ordinary one i am not so happy with

Tanks a lot for some help, and not at all overly negative, i really need this! the light is very important

Last edited by Milda Makter; 05-17-2010 at 01:09 AM.