Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What is your opinion?
Like 240.00%
Dislike 360.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Washing the dishes, Cambodia
Lens: PENTAX SMC DA 50 - 200mm Camera: PENTAX *istDS Photo Location: Cambodia ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F6.7 

Would appreciate your critique.

Attached Images

06-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Per.
The photo tells a story but is otherwise an ordinary-looking snapshot.
The subject is surrounded by clutter all around her and is disengaged, making the subject quite unclear in the image. It also seems the focal point of the photo is on the stainless steel utensils inside the hut rather than the subject herself.

The dog adds little to the scene's interest and indeed distracts the viewer. Overall, the composition and framing of the photo are lacking.
06-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments. Surprisingly, the dog and utensils appeared in PP, and somehow the camera focused the sharpest on them.
The clutter comes from the cramped quarters they live in, and I guess she must have been looking at the dog.
Don't know if I will ever visit that place again to get a chance at a better shot.
06-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice Genre piece of Modern Times

The picture for me isn't much different than the painting by Millet.

The Gleaners - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ( see commentary by Liana Vardi)

Many people may not like your picture as it is an unsettling reminder of the poverty (compared to our own) in the world and knocks down the hedonistic aura of our western values and makes us uncomfortable.

I think you should keep it. Make notes about the place and time and your feelings at that moment and again when you reviewed it.

And since this is digital you could have some fun with this. Try cropping the left side(the rags and green container are distracting-IMHO).
Regards,

06-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I don’t think that, in my case, that not being comfortable with poverty has anything to do with it. To me the the depth of field is to shallow I think that the dog should have been in focus also. At the shallow depth of field the dog is a distraction. I think that at a smaller aperture the dog and all the clutter she is surrounded by would become part of the total composition. Hope you don’t mind but I took the liberty of removing the dog as an illustration of my point. ( I would never recommend using Photoshop for fixing a problem like this but rather to re shoot) I am not trying to illustrate that shot is better how I have removed the dog but to show how it (the dog) was a distraction

Last edited by jasonadams; 07-17-2010 at 01:31 PM.
06-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Forum Member

I believe it is a pretty good document. Pity, that the technical quality is not a bit better...
06-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you jeseks. If I just had a few seconds more while sailing by, the technical quality would have been far better.

Per

06-11-2010, 02:37 AM   #8
Forum Member

sure. That's how it goes with photos...