Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which Shot if any for my first show?
Lens: DA 18-55 WR Camera: K10D Photo Location: Lynchburg VA 

I recently joined our local photo club and the are having a pretty big show at the local community college. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to show and would like some opinions. This is the first one that I was considering. I've always liked the black & white version but I did the pseudo HDR last night and really like it. What say the wisemen and women of the Pentaxian world? Is it worth showing? If so, which one. Thanks for the tips.

B&W (I do need to straighten a bit).

Color (I like the HDR look) Stock was a little flat.

06-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I do like the B&W but I think go for the HDR version. It's got an intersting 'punch' to it.

I fiddled a little in PS and wanted to show you a suggestion. Now the only thing I'm not sure about is the window is directly in the center but I was thinking that the sky removed would look better and darkening the back wall leads you straight to the window.

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion but I kinda like it better without the sky. If the shot is already cropped and you have rom to recrop and not have the window directly in the center, that might work.
Name:  4680869394_2bdce5f415_b.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  80.0 KB
Btw, I didn;t desaturate the copy, the site seems to change my uploads a bit and does that.
06-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like how the site toned down the flame on the HDR. The processing was calling too much attention to itself over the value of the image as a whole; now it's better. Peter's crop is improved too--effectively giving the viewer zero escape from an urban alley.

I tend to favor B&W in these kind of shots, but the pungent colors like the mossy green shift the decision to HDR.

Nice shot.

M
06-08-2010, 05:03 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
Thanks, My wife loved the B&W so much it's in our dining room so it's hard for her to agree with me that the HDR image looks better. I really like the crop and darken the back wall idea. It really makes it even darker, and the slight toning down of the HDR works as well. Thanks for the comments.

06-08-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here's beauty in the eye of the beholder for ya. The B&W is great; HDR makes me want to puke.
06-08-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it were the B&W, then indeed crop off the blown sky and work on boosting contrast whilst salvaging shadow and highlight detail to make it more impacting. IMO, the colour HDR is great, but I think it also needs more contrast as the HDR process has washed out some of the boldness of the image.
06-08-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
Keep the comments coming. I like to hear them all. I've still got a few other shots that I need to get a feel for. Either way I like the crop and exposure adjustments suggested for either one.

Critiques are funny. I put a shot on Photosig last night to get a feel for it. The first critique gave it 2 thumbs up, the next 1 thumb down (Rated from -3 to +3). I'm going crazy trying to figure out which shots I want to show. I've only been to one meeting of the club so I don't have a feel for what kind of quality is expected. But they are insisting that I show something although I'm a rookie.