Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Inactive Account

still life "lens"
Lens: 28mm Camera: k1000 Photo Location: mcc ISO: 400 

working with hot lights at school

Last edited by jasonadams; 07-17-2010 at 01:31 PM.
06-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good attempt with great lighting, but the composition doesn't work IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What would you have done differently? I have to say i like this photo because of the composition. The filters in the foreground are set out to draw you eye back to the subject in a nice gradual curve. I feel that the beauty is it's simplicity.
06-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm with Adam on this one. Generally for me composition tells a story, this is just missing something to complete the story.

If the lens was further top right and more of the filters were in focus and possibly with a bit more detail in them it might show something more dramatic. But as it is.... It's just not jumping out at me.

06-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree...I would move the filters back with the lens, and get them partially or mostly in focus. The head-on shot of the lens doesn't work for me either, I'd have done a little angling on it to get along the lens barrel, and perhaps off-center the lens in the frame a little more.
06-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
I'm with Adam on this one. Generally for me composition tells a story, this is just missing something to complete the story.

If the lens was further top right and more of the filters were in focus and possibly with a bit more detail in them it might show something more dramatic. But as it is.... It's just not jumping out at me.

I agree with the fact that perhaps the lens could be moved to a different spot to make it more appealing to the eye. However, I disagree that a composition must have a story. Sometimes a photo just simply is. Taking a macro of a bunch of pencils lined up forms no narrative but that doesn’t detract from it potential to be a great photo. There are a million macro shots of flowers on this site alone that would prove my point. Thanks for all your insights though. I have some other negs from this shoot and I will have to see If I can pop off a couple of prints that might be a little more to your liking. Thanks

Last edited by jasonadams; 06-13-2010 at 09:29 AM.