Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Grand Canyon
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 Camera: K7 Photo Location: Grand Canyon ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F22 

One of my first attempts of wide angle landscape

Last edited by stl09; 11-01-2010 at 02:48 PM.
06-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good try, but I don't think it works. What you've got going here is a framing effect, but what's being framed (the canyon) doesn't stand out or draw attention (which it always should in these kinds of shots).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Framing aside, no doubt someone will post that with such a wide-angle lens, using f22 for the depth is not needed, and in fact may cause diffraction which will degrade the image.
06-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Grand Canyon

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Framing aside, no doubt someone will post that with such a wide-angle lens, using f22 for the depth is not needed, and in fact may cause diffraction which will degrade the image.
I'm still learning could you provide a bit more detail on your statement.

Thanks,

06-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Grand Canyon

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A good try, but I don't think it works. What you've got going here is a framing effect, but what's being framed (the canyon) doesn't stand out or draw attention (which it always should in these kinds of shots).
Your right now that I look at this fits the description of a framed picture. I will review my other shots and post a better canyon shot.

Putting the framing aside. What about exposure, color, etc.?

I shot almost the entire trip on manual trying to think about all the different aspects of picture taking. I was really surprised at how many of the shots I was pleased with. To me they didn't seem over or underexposed. If anything I usually shot maybe one mark to the minus, figured I could always fix later. All four of these shots I posted had no alterations just straight from the camera.
06-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
I'm still learning could you provide a bit more detail on your statement.

Thanks,
The shorter the focal length, the more in focus for a given aperture, so a wide angle lens does not need such a small an aperture to obtain that depth of focus.

Using a small aperture (large number) makes a really small hole for the light to go through. As it does so, it gets bent even more than normal, which leads to loss of contrast and/or resolution.

So I'm told. I don't peep that close to notice, though others may :-)
06-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

Apart from the compositional issues that others mentioned, the colors are a bit too cool for my taste. I think your white balance is off. Did you shoot raw? If so, you might want to try adjusting it.