Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #1

2 Photos
Lens: Pentax 18-55mm Camera: ist* DL2 Photo Location: Donegal 

Hi I am adding 2 more photographs and would greatly appreciate it if people could offer me advice and tips. Both are candid shots taken on a family picnic. Post processing was done with GIMP 2.6.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amcq/4700770867/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amcq/4700763949/

06-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I think that the depth of feild is a little too shallow on the first. If the crab and feather were meant to be the subject then it would be perfect but judging by the title of the photo I would guess that that isnt the case. I would try next time to close up the aperture and see if you cant put the boy and his discovery at the fore front. The second shot is quite the opposite. I would open up your aperture and really try and isolate your subject. The people in the backround are very distracting. I cant tell if the first photo has been cropped or what, but it seems like it has. I would be interested in seeing the rest before I would comment fully on it.
06-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi, the first photo was title quickly, the subjects were the crab and feather. I agree on the second photo, it was taken as a hip shot with auto focus on. So the camera made the decisions, after looking through the days photos the image stood out, mainly due to the subject (my wife) looking so enigmatic

I cropped it slightly, I have attatched a link to the original image and look forward to your comments.

IMGP0226 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
06-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the idea of the first, and the aperture IMHO is appropriate, and the focus looks good. However the composition lets it down a little, the expression of the boy clashes with what the photo is trying to convey (young excitement of discovering treasures on beach?) and the background is messy and the person in the background has been decapitated. Don't be afraid to take more photos of a great scene like that and then hopefully catch the right expression, and be mindful of the background.

06-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Twitch. I am just starting to pay attention to my photographs and am slowly trying to learn about composition and move away from just taking snapshots. I am also slowly trying to learn how to use GIMP and PS to post process my images.

I am going to have a go later at removing the people from the background of the beach image and maybe try and fake some bokeh on the first image and see what sort of results I get. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.