Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Discovery view, Yosemite
Lens: sigma 10-20mm Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Yosemite NP, CA ISO: 200 Aperture: F5.6 

The famous tunnel view/discovery view.

Left to Right: El Capitan, Cloud's Rest, Half Dome, Sentinel Rock, Sentinel Dome, Cathedral Rocks, Bridal Veil Falls. Foreground - Yosemite Valley.

06-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
The bands in the sky aren't visible in higher res versions of the image.
06-15-2010, 03:36 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A fine landscape to photograph.
In this image, there is simply too much redundant sky taking up unnecessary space in the frame.
The scene lends itself more as a landscape orientation, perhaps zoomed in a little more to get beyond the foreground trees that are distracting the serene mountains behind them.

The waterfall on the right exists too much as a minor feature in the photo and as such loses impact, the tree getting in the way of the feature also detracting from the important subject in the image.

I do like the spectacular glow in the sky as you reach the mountainous horizon. Beautiful place.
06-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I rather like the big sky take.

The complete absence of clouds and expanse of blue sets up a tension between what is big and what is small that leaves me contemplating the nature of such things. This I think it the essence of good landscape photography.

I do think that you might want to do some PP to remove the treetop from the falls. Seems a shame, but I think it is warranted here.

These are the kinds of things I personally struggle with at times... at the location I often do not notice such things. I'm getting better. A couple of steps to the left or right might have set this up better, though having never been there I do not know with what you had to work.

I lived in California for 12 years. I must say I squandered that time photographically. If you live in California and have relatively easy access to the park, I think you'd want to look at the moon phases and pick a day when you can get a full or even close to full moon in that same basic framing.

That suggestion is not mean to to take anything from what is really a very nice interpretation of a classic photo.

woof!

06-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ash and woof! Part of the intent of the image was to capture the clear blue sky and the color gradient from the glow to the blue and to put the mountains into perspective. To me, the falls in themselves aren't really the sole subject of the shot. This image captures some of the major mountains in the Yosemite Valley, the valley itself and the falls. The falls themselves are just a small part of it, and personally to me, the size puts them into perspective.

The tree is something that I didn't realize until I got back. I'll try some PP to remove it :-(.

Woof, it was close to a full moon that night. I really did want to get some night shots of not just this vantage point, however the fact that I had to get up at 2 am for a hike prevented me from doing so :-(.
06-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too much too boring empty sky IMO. Without clouds it's wasted space IMO. I'd crop it heavily or next time try landscape orientation with longer lens.